TotallyOz

Gay Companions and Tour Guides in Thailand

haha ... i hope this discussion wouldn't go down the same path as other locked threads if it gets any hotter. But maybe not. Unlike those posters with anger management issues, I find the replies in this thread are very Downton Abbey ... very British.

I don't see anyone being rude.  Did I miss something?  Am I being rude? Please tell me if I am.

I don't see anyone being rude.  Did I miss something?  Am I being rude? Please tell me if I am.

Not really. The choice of words used in the exchange of all the different opinions by all the posters are quite refine. I enjoy reading argumentative posts that doesn't launch personal attacks at the slighest disagreement. Though I must confess that at times I also did enjoy reading intelligent but nasty comments in one of those locked threads. :)

I don't think you are rude, but I do question your motive behind bringing up the "availability of Siam Roads guys beyond guiding" theme yet again. I think by now we all know that you've had sex with several of them, just how many more times will you see a need to communicate it? ;)

I don't think you are rude, but I do question your motive behind bringing up the "availability of Siam Roads guys beyond guiding" theme yet again. I think by now we all know that you've had sex with several of them, just how many more times will you see a need to communicate it? ;)

12?

I hope that answers your question.

Look, Moses posts on this thread because it brings attention to his workers and gets them business. That is great.  I post for the same reason.  I want them to get work as well.  The only thing we disagree on is the wording.

However, let me say that I totally value the service Moses does for these boys.  I think it is great.  He is pouring a lot of time and effort to help them.  I truly do respect that. And, I guess I feel that my little tits here and there keep the thread going and people interested in it.  Much the say way his sexy pics wants to entice us to hire one of his lads.

I feel good services, sex or tour or massage or whatever, needs to be discussed and promoted.  I want boys to work and to make money.   When I ran this site, I was accused of pimping the guys on the front pages and I had never met them.  It is part of the territory. I think Moses is savvy enough to realize that I want him and his boys to succeed.  If that message is not the one being presented, then I do apologize for that.

Michael: However, let me say that I totally value the service Moses does for these boys.  I think it is great.  He is pouring a lot of time and effort to help them.

I think Siamroads is a business, not a charity.

I will never understand why someone would hire a cute and gay guide, if the contract they make says they can't have sex with customers, but there seems to be a market!

(The reality might be different as Michael hinted, but I prefer to be greeted with "are you looking for top or bottom?" than "our staff do not provide sexual services to customers".)

but there seems to be a market!

Sure. When Thailand is 3d country by incoming tourism, then here is market :)

Sill 3 of 4 bookings are about day tours: sightseeing, shopping, entertaining (parks, zoo, exhibitions/museums), adventures and pseudo-adventures (elephant raiding, fishing, zip-lines, quests). Some travelers just don't like to travel solo, some wants to save time and to be supported by experience of locals, some are quite old and need help and a little bit nursing, some just need somebody who will arrange everything around (cars, schedule, plans and so on). Main part of job is guiding, but concierge services and companionship is still in demand: from food delivery to translations at business meetings.

I think Siamroads is a business, not a charity.

Oh, about that. It isn't official charity for sure. But it isn't business. As a business private tours are very flexible and scalable - just put more guides, spend some money in advertising and you will have profit. I know sites with hundreds of guides and/or hundreds of tours. On bkktours and siamroads we year by year have max 3-4 guides in city (for example now in Bangkok are only 2 guides + driver). 

Oh, about that. It isn't official charity for sure. But it isn't business. As a business private tours are very flexible and scalable - just put more guides, spend some money in advertising and you will have profit. I know sites with hundreds of guides and/or hundreds of tours. On bkktours and siamroads we year by year have max 3-4 guides in city (for example now in Bangkok are only 2 guides + driver). 

You can't say it isn't a business. It is.  It is just not a big business. You chose to take it small.  That is called a small business.  But, a business none the less.

By the way,

news: from this September we started to ask to pay deposit 20% -  because at past season was about 40% of clients "no show". They made booking,  guides made them plan of travel, they took plan and then never appears on horizon. It was like a free travel planning advisory (most were from India and Malaysia). Form September'17 guides will not make plan for client until tour is secured by deposit. Deposit is 100% refundable in case of guide's "no show".

I had a guide in Bangkok on my first trip there and have booked a guide for a couple of days for my next trip to Chiang Mai. I'm perfectly happy with a guide being simply that. There are lots of options for picking up guys and I'm not sure that the complications that might arise from it being someone you've booked as a guide for a few days would be worth it.

I assume all straight guides are also sex workers and will have sex with all their customers of the opposite sex too? Thought not.

By the way,

news: from this September we started to ask to pay deposit 20% -  because at past season was about 40% of clients "no show". They made booking,  guides made them plan of travel, they took plan and then never appears on horizon. It was like a free travel planning advisory (most were from India and Malaysia). Form September'17 guides will not make plan for client until tour is secured by deposit. Deposit is 100% refundable in case of guide's "no show".

some delinquency is to be expected but 40 % is really high figure, no wonder you resorted to requiring deposit. 

I will never understand why someone would hire a cute and gay guide,

some people are too busy or too lazy or both to prepare for a trip by studying guides and combing internet and still like to have things streamlined instead of finding their way about the place themselves.

So why not to have somebody good looking beside who can be asked without reservation where naughtiest man massage can be found or where other cute but available boys congregate at night.

I, for one prefer to do my own research  of places to be visited but realize that sometimes some doors are opened only for people in the know of who has a key. And organizing logistics is time consuming so local help may actually save precious vacation time.

Because of the last point I found my experience of hiring Sareth in Siem Reap very positive and worthwhile.

Exactly. I pay for  that. It's will be 10 years at next February :) I count it like a charity of hobby (all hobbies cost some money). 

SiamRoads has been around 10 years. Wow. That is amazing.  Congrats.  You are a very kind and generous man to do that site for all these years for charity. Can I call you Saint Moses?