dapitt

Connections at Suvarnabhumi

Can anyone help with transit information for Suvarnabhumi? (This may have been mentioned here before, but can't recall.) I will arrive at BKK on Air France, then connect to Thai Air for Chiang Mai. According to the Thai Air website, passengers connecting onward for Chiang Mai (and some other cities) will not clear Immigration and Customs at BKK, but rather at the destination. I don't know if this is only for passengers ticketed from their original destination on Thai Air, or all airlines.

I've heard now that the practice has discontinued and all arriving international passengers must claim luggage, clear Immigration/Customs, and then re-check for the domestic flight. Does anyone have any recent experiences that could offer clarification? Thanks.

Can anyone help with transit information for Suvarnabhumi? (This may have been mentioned here before, but can't recall.) I will arrive at BKK on Air France, then connect to Thai Air for Chiang Mai. According to the Thai Air website, passengers connecting onward for Chiang Mai (and some other cities) will not clear Immigration and Customs at BKK, but rather at the destination. I don't know if this is only for passengers ticketed from their original destination on Thai Air, or all airlines.

I've heard now that the practice has discontinued and all arriving international passengers must claim luggage, clear Immigration/Customs, and then re-check for the domestic flight. Does anyone have any recent experiences that could offer clarification? Thanks.

It really depends on how your tkt was issued in a Single set or two tkts. If its two sets of tkts then, chances u hv to clear custom/immigration and re-checkin agn for the domestic flt to CNX. If its in a single form, check with the CDG Counter and request for thru baggage right up to CNX. Also look at the BKK/CNX Sector, if tax, misc reflected - practically u hv to recheckin.

A word of cautious as the Airport is gigantic involve lots of walking, ample time allowance for the domestic sector as claiming baggage at least 1/2Hr from Intl Flt. If in the case u need to checkout/checkin, upon exit to public gallery, turn right u take the escalator up 3rd Level (pse check) for domestic counter. Take care

I saw the "Transfer to International" signs there so I'm guessing that is exactly what you do (so, if you're lucky, you'll be clearing immigration very quickly and easily in Chiangmai).

If you got a ticket to Chiangmai (and the Thai flight is just a code-share connection to your final destination), my guess is you do immigration and customs in Chiangmai.

P.S. I would note that the new international terminal at Chiangmai is now open and is very nice. it's just a new wing added on the south end of the existing terminal (and I'd also note that you have to walk all the way to the north end to get a taxi).

Guest fountainhall

You really must check with the airline. I arrived back in Bangkok last night on BA from Sydney. Prior to landing, the cabin service director made it very clear that passengers travelling on to other Thai cities had to clear immigration first in Bangkok. Sorry I can't recall what she said about baggage.

Although several jumbos had just arrived, immigration last night was very fast, as was baggage arrival on the carousel. However, at around 11:30 pm all the taxi queues were all enormously long with a waiting time in the heat of a good 20 minutes. The problem seems to be that the despatchers who call the taxis from the wating area do not react fast enough - or only have authority to call 20 at a time because one minute there will be 20 taxis at the stand, then a wait of a couple of minutes till more to arrive. Still, I reckon the airport's glitches are slowly being worked out.