fedssocr

Sri Lanka

Guest abang1961

I was in Colombo back in 2012 and yes, the French Quarters is quite a sight.

You may also want to take the train to the southern part of the island - the sights are amazing.

Have been twice, but so long ago-well before 2000, it wont say much for now. During their conflicts. Plenty of unwanted self-appointed guides everywhere, at any step, offering anything law forbids. I understand since then there has been a large clampdown on them and the offers. Appears to have now plenty of upscale resorts for well-heeled superrich, ala Maledives. Compared to TH poor, dirty,  bad infrastructure, bad to awful food (of course when you read guidebooks etc any country is the very best in thsi humble world for all those matters), but pretty cheap. Think India witha Buddhist twist. Again: it may all have changed- hopefully for the better. I always travel on my own-for the challenge partly of finding it by myself.

A couple of years ago I visited a Sri Lankan friend and his family in Colombo ...... he arranged with his travel agency of choice for a car and driver and we did a several day circle tour of the south west quadrant of the island .... was a wonderful trip .... not cheap, but the driver and the car were excellent ..... the booked hotels were all probably 3-4 star and perfect for me..... the sites to see were indeed special;

I emailed the travel agent for you and received the following response:

Dear Sir,  Please mail me your request and will get back to you, Belinda (De Silva)

Her email address is:

belinda@qwestdestinations.com

Their web sit is:

http://www.qwestdestinations.com/

They have my unqualified recommendation. ........ and there is soooooo much to see in the country.

Enjoy.

Guest Sheffield

I have been to Sri Lanka more than a dozen times in the past decade. I have never ventured far from the West and South coasts, and I have no experience of tour guides or drivers (other than those supplied by hotels) but if there is anything you think i might be able to help you with I am happy to try.