numazu

Is Phuket Worth It?

Thanks guys for contacting me in my previous post.  Sorry I only had time to meet with some of you (thank you!!!, you know who you guys are), I guess it turned out to be a busy trip.  Overall, had a great February in Bangkok and Pattaya.  Thought about doing trip reports, and have notes on almost all of my escapades, but not sure if anyone would be interested in any of my ramblings.

Anyways, this is my 8th (?) time in Thailand and every trip I always meet a money boy that I "fall in love" with and continue to communicate with through Line after my trips.  I've "collected" probably 5 guys now, and thankfully only one has asked for money when I am back home in the USA.  I try to off these guys whenever I come back, just because I've grown fond of them, and usually have great conversations with them about their lives whenever I see them again.

Anyway, I am coming back in April for Songkran, and the dance party GCircuit, and will be with my friends, all of us from California, that week (4/8-4/17).  I'll be staying in Thailand, alone, two weeks after that, and will be taking one of my gogo boy/moneyboy "boyfriends" (from Myanmar, 21, dark skin, lean muscular body, smile that'll melt anyone's heart, and can't speak english to save his life but has been improving), for a vacation for a week.  I've been trying to think of good non-Bangkok/Pattaya locations, and already thinking about Chiang Mai as a possible location (I've been, and liked it), but I've been wondering about Phuket.  Is it worth it to go?  Or is it just too much like Pattaya?  Are there good gogo bars and gay dance bars?  Any other tips for Phuket?  I can't seem to find any in any of my searches.  Thanks!

i have been to Phuket 3 or 4 times and only today returned from another trip. But was with straight friends.

You will find a gay scene but very much smaller than anything in Pattaya or Bangkok. yes there are some (not many) gogo bars.

It revolves around one small street opposite the Royal Paradise Hotel. That would be the place I would stay, as it is very convenient and maybe more used to gay visitors. It is also very nice indeed.

All the other hotels/resorts are geared up to straights and, certainly in the place I HAD (!) to stay in last week you would look seriously out of place. There are of course a few dedicated gay hotels.

Phuket is a lot cleaner and nicer than BKK or Pattaya. It makes a refreshing change and the driving is far better too! Tuk Tuks are more expensive but they are clean and modern.

Have fun if you go but don't expect the same gay scene as Pattaya.

The beaches are lovely and you may even consider getting in the water in Phuket!

Thanks gerefan.  I am guessing Phuket has a less seedy vibe than Pattaya?  I'm glad there are some gogo bars.  Gogo bars are a big reason why I go to Thailand, so I think i'll check those out with my boy.  Not necessarily to off anyone (though it may happen), but it's nice to have the option.  Are the prices in Phuket generally the same as in Pattaya?  Or is it more expensive there in general?

An image search online of Phuket gets me very beautiful sceneries of beaches and water.  Hopefully this is actually the case, versus the open sewage that greets you in Pattaya beach. Are there good excursions off the main drag that are worth visiting?

I am thinking of staying at a chain hotel that is somewhat walkable to nightlife, since I have points I can use.  Though I'll do some research on the Royal Paradise Hotel.

In my opinion you would be better going to Phuket than Chiang Mai. Stay at somewhere like Aquarius guest house, which is gay. U can goggle their web page. Nice rooms and in the heart of the scene.

But Royal Paradise is ok (though often full with noisy Chinese tour groups) and a short few paces walk to the gay area.

Whilst in Phuket the bars are nothing as good as Pattaya and Bangkok , there are adequate  gay go-go and dance places; preferable to anything in CM.

Beautiful beaches in Phuket and no problem swimming in the sea.

Great seafood too.

And it you are smart with your schedule, plenty of things to do day time and night time.

I've been there on about seven occasions, the first of which (about fifteen years ago) was as an independent traveller. I've never been an admirer of Patong, or at least its gay scene. It offers nothing that Pattaya hasn't got and is  more expensive, and unless you expect to spend time on the beach (much better than Jomtien's), you are likely to be disappointed. I've never seen busy bars bars there. They were deserted when I visited with my boyfriend four years ago....but that was the low season.

There are decent places to visit outside Patong and some good boat trips.

However, if it's beaches and swimming you want, Krabi is much better while Pattaya offers  a more interesting night-life and better restaurants and shopping.

By the way, Patong's straight night-life can be extraordinarily noisy right through to 0600. Choose your hotel with caution. I like Rendezvous, a small gay hotel in the Paradise area. 

I pretty much agree with what everyone said. Worth it at least one time for the boat trips, diving and beaches. GoGo Bars are slim and prices to get around patong exorbitant even if the trucks are clean.

As far ay people being interested in your trip reports I can guarantee that we are interested.

One of the things this Forum is great for are the many people who post their experiences and even those like myself and Vinapu who have been many times love reading about the experiences of others!

Overall, had a great February in Bangkok and Pattaya.  Thought about doing trip reports, and have notes on almost all of my escapades, but not sure if anyone would be interested in any of my ramblings.

WHAT ?  Better finish your coffee and start reporting, I'm pretty sure plenty of established members can't wait for reports  and there are tons of readers lurking , too shy to contribute who are devouring those reports as well. 

Gogo bars are a big reason why I go to Thailand, so I think i'll check those out with my boy.  Not necessarily to off anyone (though it may happen), but it's nice to have the option.  

thread carefully there as  visiting bar with your boy may lead to awkward situations. Not to mention offing another boy in his presence - make sure your boy is OK with an idea, not just you.

Yes, you hired him and you pay for everything but still it's better if both of you travelling together are happy.

Speaking from experience. 

Yes I understand the risk. I've actually done this with some of my "boyfriends" and they seemed to be generally ok with it. It's especially fascinating to see a Jomtien complex boy react to the show at Boyzboyzboyz, and then try to pick which 3rd he wants to have for the night. Or a Dreamboys guy go with me to the Jupiter show and comment on how he thinks his bar is much better (as well as have some bitchy asides all throughout the show). Most of the time, I just want to see the gogo boy show, with my boy beside me, and not have the pressure to off anyone by the end of the night, since I already have someone I'm going home with. Any off that might be picked up that night will just be the cherry on top of an already beautiful sundae.

thread carefully there as visiting bar with your boy may lead to awkward situations. Not to mention offing another boy in his presence - make sure your boy is OK with an idea, not just you.

Yes, you hired him and you pay for everything but still it's better if both of you travelling together are happy.

Speaking from experience.

I pretty much agree with what everyone said. Worth it at least one time for the boat trips, diving and beaches. GoGo Bars are slim and prices to get around patong exorbitant even if the trucks are clean.

As far ay people being interested in your trip reports I can guarantee that we are interested.

One of the things this Forum is great for are the many people who post their experiences and even those like myself and Vinapu who have been many times love reading about the experiences of others!

Thanks firecat69 and vinapu, for the encouragement. I'll post my trip report soon and see if anyone even reads it. We all come to Thailand for slightly different reasons, but I guess one constant would be: we are here for the boys, so I guess there will be some use for my useless ramblings. I do appreciate your reports though and have used them to great success in my trips.

I'm still on the fence with Phuket. Main reason to go for me at this point is that I've never been there before. If any guys have any more suggestions about it, I'd appreciate it.

Whilst Phuket has a deeper and more scenic beach, I'm not sure I would describe it as better than the one in Jomtien.

In both locations, I'm still facing the sea. Extra depth to the beach adds no value.

Jomtien has several "gay" concessions.   As far as I could work out, Patong beach only had one.   Although this was a few years ago.

More recently, I read that the Junta banned chairs from Patong beach.  Not sure if that's still valid.

There were fewer gay bars.

What Phuket offers is a change of scene & perhaps some nice day trips out to the local islands. Where scenes from at least two Bond films were shot.

Guest abang1961

Pattaya sees hordes of tourist-class visitors because of its proximity to Bangkok. After all, it is just 2.5 hours away on the bus. Most visitors are there for at most 2 days/1 night and the purpose of bringing visitors there – cheaper accommodation, Alcazar/Tiffany show and the Ko Larn islands.

Phuket is a destination by itself. Most tourist-class visitors are there for at least 3 days/2 nights after a flight there. Of course, accommodation is still cheaper than Bangkok - the lure of “cheap” seafood and shopping at Jungceylon and 1 day “tiring” trip to Ko Phi Phi are just some of the factors that attract them.

The gay scene in Phuket is housed in some depilated buildings in front of a mammoth multi-storey hotel (which needs immediate painting and upgrading itself). It lacks the vibrancy that is so-evident in Pattaya. In Pattaya, the neon lights in Boystown stuck up the visitors into the tiny soi whereas in Phuket, it is very much a guerrilla-style affair. It is less organised, too fragmented and way-too-low-key for a gay venue.

Given the current situation, Phuket will remain as a family destination for Mainland Chinese visitors and will NEVER be a gay mecca like Bangkok – at least not in the next few years. Pattaya is playing second fiddle to Bangkok but then again, it has its own attractiveness.

A few  further reflections on Phuket.

Firstly the beach. I don't agree with z909; the sea is blue- how often can that be said of Pattaya and Jomtien?- and  the water is cleaner.

As far as the visitors to Phuket are concerned, I feel much more relaxed in Pattaya because gay couples are more visible. My boyfriend and I seldom, if ever, saw other gays outside  Paradise Complex. There were certainly khatoeys, one of whom publicly abused him, calling him a prostitute because he was with a falang. That's never happened anywhere else in Thailand, even in places like Krabi and Chiang Rai which have no visible gay scene..

Another difference is the age make-up of Phuket; much, much younger than in Pattaya. Many will prefer this but I don't.  Fewer single men, of course, more young straight couples.

These reflections relate specifically to Patong. As I said previously, the attractions of Phuket for us are in other parts of the island.

Thanks guys, this is great information. SenYai, awesome link! All your suggestions have made me want to go. With the understanding that (1) the gay scene is not as big and as "out there" as pattaya, (2) the beach is great and there are pretty good excursions and shopping choices, and (3) the gogo bars are different, but they exist, and they have that unique street presentation thingie, and I am curious to see that.

I guess the last question I would have is where to book the flights. I'll be in BKK April 9, I'm thinking of flying to Phuket on the 19th. Is it cheaper to book in BKK closer to the date of departure, than it is using Orbitz or Travelocity now? I'm seeing ~$60 via AirAsia or $160 with BangkokAirways (I like them, use them to go to CM), would it be more advantageous to just go to a travel agent in BKK and save a few baht?

Phuket pride is April 24-May 1st... so you may be better off to hang on until then before travelling there...

As other have said there are only 3 gogo bars left there... compared to probably 10+ when I was first there in 2001

Still lots of fun to be had, and ZAG is great fun between 1-3am when they close the doors and pump up the volume!

I have visited Phuket on three occasions, stayed once at Aquarius which is close to the fairly small compared to Pattaya but Ok  gay area and twice in Club one seven about 20 mins walk from the gay area. This compares to about twenty visits to Thailand over the last ten years always with some time in Bangkok and normally Pattaya unless in Phuket.

Whilst Patong Beach in Phuket has about 4 GoGo bars in the Paradise complex and a couple of more club bars especially the excellent Boat Bar where non Thais often mix more, my view is it is much better if you head down their with an already established Thai friend from a previous visit, meeting my friend about a year ago in Bangkok then heading out to the airport and seeing his pleasure in that short first time flight to Phuket (not to mention the entire journey finding its way on to Facebook gave me pleasure in just that!) The gay scene in the paradise complex is probably more appealing to slightly younger clients than Pattaya, more like but smaller than say the Yumbo in Gran Canaria, so a lot more gay non Thai couples from Australia the US and Europe. That said visiting last time with my Thai friend we still had a great time between the Paradise complex and also Banglar street, very similar to Walking street but heads inland from the beach towards the paradise complex and probably more up to date as a lot of it was re built after the Tsunami. The beaches are far better than either Pattaya or Kho Larn, a taxi from the south end of Patong Beach down the coast to say nearby Freedom or Paradise Beach is a nice drive, great scenery and if you and your friend enjoy snorkelling then trying some great Thai seafood in the beach side restaurant simply amazing!

I have found that Club one seven is a great place to stay, their exec rooms by the small pool are pretty comfortable, the pool and garden is almost private, with a great adjacent gym (for my friend rather than me!) and most of all the Manager and team at Club one seven are really friendly and welcoming and importantly for me made my Thai friend just as welcome as me, instead of being the Thai boy with the Farang! - couldn't recommend the place enough!  

Well I am returning to Thailand later today so a bit of sleep then off to Heathrow to board my currently  favourite airline EVA and off to see what this holiday brings in Pattaya and Bangkok - so cant wait! 

Well I am returning to Thailand later today so a bit of sleep then off to Heathrow to board my currently  favourite airline EVA and off to see what this holiday brings in Pattaya and Bangkok - so cant wait! 

enjoy your trip !

but I've been wondering about Phuket.  Is it worth it to go?  Or is it just too much like Pattaya?  Are there good gogo bars and gay dance bars?  Any other tips for Phuket?  I can't seem to find any in any of my searches.  Thanks!

The centers of the major tourist places (Pattaya, Patong in Phuket, Kuta in Bali) look indistinguishable to me.

For gay entertainment, Phuket and Chiang Mai are similar, but Pattaya has much more to offer.

For sightseeing, all three are comparable.

For beach, Phuket better than Pattaya and Chiang Mai out of question. But if you like going to the beach, get up to date information about current situation sunbeds / umbrellas / catering to avoid disappointment.

If going to Phuket, consider staying one night in Patong (for easy access to gay nightlife) and one night in Phuket town (for sighseeing in Phuket town and easier access to airport, and as hub for public bus if you plan going for sightseeing by bus).

If I go to Phuket again, I have plan to stay in Phuket town for sightseeing, than take last bus (around 6 pm?) to Patong, stay there for gay nightlife, and the following morning take bus to Phuket town for sightseeing and stay there again, with first and last day in Phuket town (better for public transport).

BYD Lofts is upscale and very gay-friendly/pro-gay in Patong but pricey if you don't catch in internet deal.  Very nice rooms and people.  Far enough away from the hordes that you can enjoy some quiet.  The much less expensive Siam Palm is right across the street from BYD Lofts.  I was surprised at how nice the rooms were.  

In my experience working boys love a visit to Phuket and you can have a nice stay at one of the chain resorts outside Patong and venture in to the town for evening festivities when it suits you and your guy.  Le Meridien (in Khao Lak) no surprise is very nice if you are an SPG person.

Probably off-topic a bit but there is some great SCUBA from Phuket if you want to break things up and are certified.  I've used Sunrise Divers including for trips out to the Similans, which is truly outstanding diving.  (Personally I think the best diving in Thailand.)

The centers of the major tourist places (Pattaya, Patong in Phuket, Kuta in Bali) look indistinguishable to me.

For gay entertainment, Phuket and Chiang Mai are similar, but Pattaya has much more to offer.

For sightseeing, all three are comparable.

For beach, Phuket better than Pattaya and Chiang Mai out of question. But if you like going to the beach, get up to date information about current situation sunbeds / umbrellas / catering to avoid disappointment.

If going to Phuket, consider staying one night in Patong (for easy access to gay nightlife) and one night in Phuket town (for sighseeing in Phuket town and easier access to airport, and as hub for public bus if you plan going for sightseeing by bus).

If I go to Phuket again, I have plan to stay in Phuket town for sightseeing, than take last bus (around 6 pm?) to Patong, stay there for gay nightlife, and the following morning take bus to Phuket town for sightseeing and stay there again, with first and last day in Phuket town (better for public transport).

Thanks christianpfc. It didn't occur to me to stay in Phuket town, but it makes sense to stay there for a night to do sightseeing. I like a good mix, sightseeing and nightlife.