LAguy

Tattoos in Bangkok

Those of you freaked out by tattoos - close this thread now - just another old Farang with tattoos wanting advice lol

I'm one of those guys with a few tattoos who is always looking for another one, and since I'll be in Thailand for the summer, I was thinking of getting a Sak Yant tattoo...

I thought about getting one from the monks who use bamboo, but decided I'd rather not take a chance on picking up Hep C, so will be sticking to normal tattoo places...

Has anyone on here ever gotten a tattoo in Bangkok, and if so, are there any places you recommend?  Hot, Gay talented tattoo artist recommendations always welcome. (I can fantasize, can't I?)

As far as I know, one of the boys that was on privateboymovie (The blond boy mike) is now a Tattoo artist

He goes by the name or Earth/Earn... I can't find his GR right now...but some members may be able to help...

That'd be cool... assuming he's good... definitely would like to find out more

For what it's worth, not every tattoo artist can give a true sak yant tattoo.  There's a religious/mystical side to it and the final step involves a prayer and then blowing on the tattoo to infuse it with "power."  I got one from one of the traditional mystic guys and it was a great experience.  They are very careful to sterilize.  I just asked around when talking to assorted bar boys and one took me out to a guy who's at the big tattoo temple about an hour outside bangkok.  

I suppose through google you could find the guy who gave angelina jolie hers, but I bet he's expensive.

It hurt a lot.

Great experience and best of luck.

For what it's worth, not every tattoo artist can give a true sak yant tattoo.  There's a religious/mystical side to it and the final step involves a prayer and then blowing on the tattoo to infuse it with "power."  I got one from one of the traditional mystic guys and it was a great experience.  They are very careful to sterilize.  I just asked around when talking to assorted bar boys and one took me out to a guy who's at the big tattoo temple about an hour outside bangkok.  

I'm back and forth about getting a real Sak Yant tattoo from a monk.  I've read about them, and am definitely interested, but not sure I want to chance Hep C.  But who knows, when I'm there, I might decide to take the chance... As far as I know there aren't thousands of people getting Hep C from getting tattoos...

I thought about getting one from the monks who use bamboo, but decided I'd rather not take a chance on picking up Hep C, so will be sticking to normal tattoo places...

Possible infection is due to lack of sterile materials, it does not depend on the method used (bamboo versus steel).

As far as I know, one of the boys that was on privateboymovie (The blond boy mike) is now a Tattoo artist

He goes by the name or Earth/Earn... I can't find his GR right now...but some members may be able to help...

His tattoo artist phase was a year or two ago. Don't know if he is still doing it. (I just asked him on hornet and will report back.)

- you might find that the guy giving you the sak yant uses needles (rather than bamboo), but still the old tap-tap method, which you might get a little more comfortable with regarding sterilization.  I definitely wouldn't go with the old bamboo.  The guy who gave me mine used metal, sterilized with a combination of some sort of sterilizing fluid and flame.  Definitely worth finding out about before going forward.

- You probably already know this, but for the people who take them seriously it's not really considered entirely "cool" to get one by a regular tattoo artist.  Makes sense - it has religious/mystical significance for them.  Every time a new Thai or Laos guy sees mine we invariably end up discussing it and he will say that it was good to get it from a monk (or holy lay person) and bad if it's just decoration.  

- A bottle of good black tattoo ink from America makes a relatively inexpensive very welcome gift for whoever is giving you your tattoo.

- you might find that the guy giving you the sak yant uses needles (rather than bamboo), but still the old tap-tap method, which you might get a little more comfortable with regarding sterilization.  I definitely wouldn't go with the old bamboo.  The guy who gave me mine used metal, sterilized with a combination of some sort of sterilizing fluid and flame.  Definitely worth finding out about before going forward.

Did you get your tattoo outside of Bangkok?  Are there some monks who use needles instead of bamboo?  That would be great if there are...

I'm also going to be in Chiang Mai for a weekend.. Maybe I should look into getting a tat there if that's where they use needles...

- You probably already know this, but for the people who take them seriously it's not really considered entirely "cool" to get one by a regular tattoo artist.  Makes sense - it has religious/mystical significance for them.  Every time a new Thai or Laos guy sees mine we invariably end up discussing it and he will say that it was good to get it from a monk (or holy lay person) and bad if it's just decoration.  

- A bottle of good black tattoo ink from America makes a relatively inexpensive very welcome gift for whoever is giving you your tattoo.

I had read that it's not really Kosher to get one from a regular tattoo artist... I figured if I went to a regular artist, I'd get a more normal tattoo... But my mind keeps going back to wanting a monk doing one...

Love the idea of bringing some black tattoo ink as a gift... As long as Cathay Pacific doesn't decide to spill it in my luggage on the way over!  :shok:

Guest Promsak

Have you considered the tattoo artist who has a shop above Balcony's Tiger terrace bar? (Silom soi 4).

He has some well known customers but I have no idea whether or not he does bamboo.  Give him a ring.

From Balcony's website:

If you’re the type of guy who likes tattoos then you will be pleased to know that the popular Soi 4 Tattoo Artist ‘Van Tattoo’ is on the 2nd Floor of our Tiger Terrace building. He’s installed air-conditioning and has a busy shop full of customers.

You can see photos of him at work on a "Celebrity Customer" on our Gallery Page.

Guest topazann

If you are looking for an excellent tattooist with a nice clean shop, I recommend this one "Mimptattoo". I did the Koi tattoo full on my arms last year with him. The work is great and the price is reasonable. Check out his website www.mimptattoo.com .Will probably get a second one and plan to go back to the same shop.Want to get peony  wich symbolize wealth,good fortune.

post-16668-0-72576000-1468091831_thumb.jpg

If you are looking for an excellent tattooist with a nice clean shop, I recommend this one "Mimptattoo". I did the Koi tattoo full on my arms last year with him. The work is great and the price is reasonable. Check out his website www.mimptattoo.com .Will probably get a second one and plan to go back to the same shop.Want to get peony  wich symbolize wealth,good fortune.

That looks great! The place looks good too... I'll check them out... I'm in BKK now, but since I'm going Scuba diving in two weeks, I can't get a tattoo until afterwards... but will definitely visit beforehand...

That looks great! The place looks good too... I'll check them out... I'm in BKK now, but since I'm going Scuba diving in two weeks, I can't get a tattoo until afterwards... but will definitely visit beforehand...

I had my left-arm sleeve done by Tom at BKK Ink on Tanao Road in Bangkok last November. Would recommend the studio, they also have several other guys who work there whose work looks good too (even a couple who kept my eyes occupied while getting the work done :phew: ). Will be getting my other lower-arm done on my next trip this November. Haha, just wish my arms were in better shape!! :p

post-16129-0-50822500-1468255397_thumb.jpg

post-16129-0-63962700-1468255672_thumb.jpg