abidismaili

August got time?

Thank you. The fact it is a direct flight is very important for me. Travel time is a few hours less when going direct and the risk of crashing is reduced by 50% (in stead of 2 flights you only need 1 when flying direct, so 50% less chance something goes wrong).

Abi, the risk of crashing is remote. Your chances of getting Deep Vein Thrombosis are greater and yet this can be reduced if you take a non- direct flight involving a change and walking into through a terminal after six hours. I always used to fly direct from London to BKK with Thai or BA but now pr fear to travel with Qatar via Doha. It is an altogether much more civilised experience.

Thank you. The fact it is a direct flight is very important for me. Travel time is a few hours less when going direct and the risk of crashing is reduced by 50% (in stead of 2 flights you only need 1 when flying direct, so 50% less chance something goes wrong).

if you are flying and worried about chance of being in the crash I'd say your time will be better used and nerves preserved by staying at homeĀ 

I know chances are very small something goes wrong. That is why every year I do step a few times into a plane. But still if the chance can be reduced even more, it is only nice. Besides you also not need to worry about missing your connecting flight, when flying direct. You not need to worry if they will forget to put your luggage in the connecting plane. Direct flight is so much easier and less of a hassle.

Ā 

Also I don't like the waiting time for connecting flight. Sometimes 8 hours waiting is normal at the airport. So very very boring. But if you choose a connection with only one or two hours waiting you will worry if you will miss it. Airplane delays aren't rare occasions.

Ā 

So if having a direct flight costs me only like 100-150 EUR more compared to indirect, then I will gladly pay it. Of course if I can save 200 or more I will fly indirect.

EVA air, economy class, direct Amsterdam-Bangkok, more than 4500 EUR :-)

Ā 

See picture. Is only option for the week in which I want to go. Their economy class must be very luxerious. Can someone confirm that their economy is like Business class?Ā  :rolleyes:

Ā 

But serious: how is this prize possible? It really is economy class. I searched for economy and when you click on it it will say it is economy. Must be a mistake, not?

Ā 

Ā 

post-15645-0-60692500-1462684656_thumb.jpg

EVA air, economy class, direct Amsterdam-Bangkok, more than 4500 EUR :-)

Ā 

See picture. Is only option for the week in which I want to go. Their economy class must be very luxerious. Can someone confirm that their economy is like Business class?Ā  :rolleyes:

Ā 

But serious: how is this prize possible? It really is economy class. I searched for economy and when you click on it it will say it is economy. Must be a mistake, not?

I just had a look at there webpage and I get a price of 887.22 euro, same dates

I just had a look at there webpage and I get a price of 887.22 euro, same dates

Ā 

You don't see the 4782 EUR option at all when you browse for these dates and select EVA air?

I must say I not used their website but a ticket search engine and choose EVA air

Ā 

887 EUR is by the way about 200 EUR more than I pay in high season. August (what your guys call low season) is much more expensive

High v Low Season

Ā 

1Ā  Thai Climate. A quick look at some climate charts shows the winter months around December/January have the best weather in Thailand.

2 For those of us in the north, December & January are almost guaranteed to have very poor weather. If I go to Thailand at those times, well the weather is guaranteed to be better.Ā Ā  If I go in August, well the weather at home could be more comfortable than in Thailand.

3 Anyone still working in a "Western" country is likely to be forced to take holiday at the end of December. To stay at home would be a tragic waste.

Ā 

So I take holiday during high season & am prepared to pay a few hundred extra for the holiday. The plane is full both ways.

Ā 

Of course, once I am no longer working, company holidays are no longer an issue & I hope to take longer holidays & more of them.Ā  I also hope to have made enough money to still be able to include the High season, although for several months. Of course, I might just choose to live in Asia.

Ā 

I think Firecat is right with the comment on finances. Ā  Anyone without the expense of kids should have the opportunity to save a lot more than those who do have such expenses. Ā Ā 

Of course, this is not guaranteed.Ā  Saving significant money still requires an adequate income, the good sense not to squander it all on expensive cars (etc) & a few good investment decisions. Ā 

There are other little opportunities for the man without a family, such as renting out the spare rooms.

Guest anonone

It is always wise to check multiple websites for air fares, as there can be differences in how they search and the flights they show as available...or as you discovered, some errors.

Ā 

I am not familiar with pricing patterns flying from Europe. Ā A simple search for your dates show EVA economy at $847 Euro round trip, which does not strike me as a bad fare. Ā Not a great deal, but not horrible. Ā That is bookable on EVA website.

Ā 

Ā Ā 

BR.gifEVA Airways

Ā 

9:40 PMAMS>BKK1:40 PMĀ non-stopĀ 11h 00m

12:30 PMBKK>AMS7:30 PMĀ non-stopĀ 12h 00m

Total:Ā ā‚¬4,813

Ā Select & ContinueĀ 

11h 00m - Non-stop - Next Day Arrival

Amsterdam to Bangkok

FlightDateDepartureArrivalInfo

BR76

Ā 

EVA Airways 76

Ā 

Thu, Aug 11

9:40 PM

AmsterdamĀ 
(AMS)

Ā 

Schiphol (AMS),Ā Amsterdam, Netherlands

Ā 

Ā 

1:40 PM next day
BangkokĀ 
(BKK)

Ā 

Suvarnabhumi Intl (BKK),Ā Bangkok, Thailand

Ā 

11h 00m | 5728Ā  MilesBusinessFree Baggage:Ā Get InfoBoeing 777-300ER

12h 00m - Non-stop - Same Day Arrival

Bangkok to Amsterdam

FlightDateDepartureArrivalInfo

BR75

Ā 

EVA Airways 75

Ā 

Thu, Aug 18

12:30 PM

BangkokĀ 
(BKK)

Ā 

Suvarnabhumi Intl (BKK),Bangkok, Thailand

Ā 

Ā 

7:30 PM
AmsterdamĀ 
(AMS)

Ā 

Schiphol (AMS),Amsterdam, Netherlands

Ā 

12h 00m | 5728Ā  MilesBusinessFree Baggage:Ā Get InfoBoeing 777-300ER

It is also worth checking on an airlines own site.

I always do that.Ā  When I want to reserve a particular seat or order a special meal, it makes sense to book direct, if the price is almost the same.

Using those dates, the EVA web-site and going further into the booking process the offers were:

Ā 

AMS -BKK - AMS

Ā 

The first image was for both Econ and Elite, the second for Business. The only Economy fare appeared to be the ECO Flex.Ā 

Ā 

I then looked at the same dates out of LHR

Ā 

This time a separate set of Economy fares appeared. This is followed by Elite and Business LHR-BKK-LHR.

Ā 

It's worth noticing that the original Fare quoted of EUR 4782 was, goodness knows why, for out on EVA and return on China Airways. This is effectively two singles and we know how expensive they are.

Ā 

It's always worth checking the airline's own web-site when using a search engine.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

post-609-0-31156500-1462740252_thumb.jpg

post-609-0-78468200-1462740274_thumb.jpg

post-609-0-12103200-1462740297_thumb.jpg

post-609-0-67420800-1462740316_thumb.jpg

post-609-0-16666800-1462740334_thumb.jpg

I never understood why single airfares are more expensive often than the prize for a return ticket. Even if you only plan to go one way, it is often cheaper for you to buy the return ticket and just not show up for the return trip. This way you have bought yourself a cheaper single ticket effectively.

I never understood why single airfares are more expensive often than the prize for a return ticket. Even if you only plan to go one way, it is often cheaper for you to buy the return ticket and just not show up for the return trip. This way you have bought yourself a cheaper single ticket effectively.

I agree it is a crazy and annoying price structure.

I don't know what would happen if you take the outward flight and then don't show for the return, but be aware airlines cancel all remaining flights on the booking after a no show so never be tempted to miss the outward flight expecting to be able to take the return

I agree it is a crazy and annoying price structure.

I don't know what would happen if you take the outward flight and then don't show for the return

Many airlines Terms and Conditions reserve the airline the right to charge the credit / debit card that was used for the original booking with the balance between the more expensive single fare and the cheaper return. According to frequent flyer programmes, some airlines tend to let you off the first time but are less tolerant with serial offenders.