vinapu

River Queen Hotel in Siem Reap

The gay owners run a blog. They are selling up and leaving Cambodia.

So any previous experience could be irrelevant.

From what I read in the blog, your guests would be very welcome.

I had booked to stay there for a few days for a short side-trip from Thailand later in the year. This will be my first trip to Cambodia, but I've enjoyed reading the owner's blog for a while now. As they're selling I've decided to book elsewhere (AirBnB), in-case they've already sold by the time I visit, as it'll be a busy time of the year then (Water Festival) and want to make sure I have somewhere confirmed and also not sure what'll be the status of the place once sold. I was looking forward to meeting the owner, seemed like a right hard-case!! Anyways, this thread reminded me to cancel my booking (not that it may be relevant anyways if they have already left by that time), so thanks Vinapu. :good:

Guest bluesunshine

This is their new website

Www.year84.com

The new name is "the '84 hotel"

I was there 2 days ago- cool place.

Thanks for the update.  Do the new owners have any gay connection ?    Or should we regard it as just another good candidate hotel like all those on Booking.com  ?    

Of course, there is nothing at all wrong with that, considering I & my guests get a good welcome @ many such hotels.  However, I think its also information that may be of interest to members here.

Below are a couple of screenshots from their website.

I presume very good binoculars & a clear day are required to enjoy the mountain views.  As for "How far is the chalet form Whistler ?"    A very long way I should think.

Well, lets give them the benefit of the doubt whilst getting the website set up.

post-8337-0-34817500-1468961311_thumb.jpgpost-8337-0-15327100-1468961391_thumb.jpg

I was staying there for a week in beginning of month. Not fancy but adequate and friendly. Air conditioner problems was fixed by calling repair crew right away despite day being Sunday, I was impressed.

Penthouse suite on the top floor is a gem , for 24 $ one has not a room but whole apartment complete with microwave in something which can be called kitchen annex. Quiet location but very close to a market and Pub Street, like 5 minutes walk at most.

No problem with visitors other then some discreet knowing smiles, LOL

But not a gay hotel anymore , definitely gay friendly though.

Great and handsome tuk-tuk driver Sophea is affiliated with hotel, has also friend with car for longer or more comfortable trips if desired.

Right beside is local restaurant with all dishes costing 2 $, looked great , plenty of other food options nearby.

Two jacuzzi on the rooftop terrace.

Breakfast can be purchased for 3$, handy but not overwhelming option

I recommend the place to everybody although Four Seasons it is not but prices are more user friendly.

Thanks Vinapu.

Is it clean ?

Is there a room safe?

Do they have dogs? The blog run by the previous owners suggested they had some dogs. I hope the new owners have moved them on.

Thanks Vinapu.

Is it clean ?

Is there a room safe?

Do they have dogs? The blog run by the previous owners suggested they had some dogs. I hope the new owners have moved them on.

Forgot to mention but it's indicated above, now it's called 84 Hotel.

Clean , yes although room was cleaned every second day, good enough for me.

First night I spent in regular room , there was working safe. Then upgraded to a penthouse apartment and there was no safe in the room but i guess they could transfer from another room on request.

No, there are no dogs now

Stayed there for five nights in April.  Had a balcony room in front on the second floor.  A fairly small and quiet room both convenient and comfortable.  It's run by two Indian brothers who are fixing it up.  They had not yet gotten around to the lighting in the room which is very minimal and dim.  I was very happy with the balcony room as I could gt good light through the big window and glass on the door.  But after sunset there was very low light in the room.  Good shower and on demand hot water which worked very well.  Did not eat there.  Nor did I eat next door which was very busy but did not seem very suitable for vegetarians.  Room was $22/night.

Found a great and very inexpensive restaurant only 5 minutes away towards Pub Street and a few doors down from Blue Hatha Spa (which was quite enjoyable). It's called Dee Cafe on Steung Thmei and right around the corner from Tous Les Jours a lovely coffee shop/bakery.

I stayed in the 84 Hotel last month. Clean hotel, located close to the city centre with Pub Street..

I had a nice room on the first floor.

Only negative thing : don't be over 180 cm or you risk to hurt your head on the stairs.

I can recommend it.