numazu

Bangkok/Phnom Penh/Siem Reap Trip Report: The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

Trip Report with less sex?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should I do a trip report for Cambodia and Thailand that has less sex?

numazu, wonderful reporting as always, it's a joy to read about your exploits again. :)

I think an important aspect regarding the Khmer Rouge era vs. contemporary Cambodia is that Cambodia's population is very young and has grown a lot since back then. Young Cambodians have no first-hand knowledge of the horrors and older Cambodians often aren't too keen to share their - often traumatic - experiences from what I've heard. Vietnam is somewhat similar in that regard, many Americans are surprised that they don't encounter a lot of resentment there (often actually quite the opposite), despite the horrors of the "American War". Not dwelling on the past and eagerly embracing what the future has in store seems to be the mantra of the young generation in both countries.

I once posted that you were pacing your stories to enhance the suspense.  

Now that I just finished crafting postings about my recent visit to Bangkok I have an increased appreciation for the time and skillful effort you put into your descriptions;  setting both a tone and a mood that puts the reader into your shoes, bars, tuk tuks, and voyeuristically your beds.  The quality of your writing is both smile inducing and compelling. 

Take your time in bringing the story along its path.

Great post.  This brings back fond memories of my visits to PP.  I found the people very sweet and the food excellent.  From your photos it looks like the riverfront has been significantly modernized also.  I thought the boys were especially handsome but there was no club there when I visited.

Thanks for the pics as well.  It adds a lot to your post.

I enjoyed reading about the dynamics within the groups - CB going with his friends when you went to the club, the interaction between the guys (don't you wish sometimes you were fluent in Khmer or Thai :) ),   the seating arrangements on the car trip, the eating arrangements - including the seating of the driver, the individual boys attention to you - asking if you were ok.  will be interesting reading to see how SR played out with all them along. 

Baguettes in Cambodia , bread rolls in Vietnam - to die for

cheers

post-14317-0-75996600-1475222358_thumb.jpg

numazu, wonderful reporting as always, it's a joy to read about your exploits again. :)

I once posted that you were pacing your stories to enhance the suspense.  

Take your time in bringing the story along its path.

Numazu thanks for the great report , looking forward to Siem Reap and Bangkok trip reports . 

Thanks guys! Like I said earlier, feedback, positive or negative, means a lot to me, and makes me want to write more. It was an awesome vacation and there is a lot to write about. I am also leaving a lot out, some too personal, but I think what I put out there is good enough.

Great post.  This brings back fond memories of my visits to PP.  I found the people very sweet and the food excellent.  From your photos it looks like the riverfront has been significantly modernized also.  I thought the boys were especially handsome but there was no club there when I visited.

Thanks for the pics as well.  It adds a lot to your post.

It will be amazing to see the progress PP will go through in the next decade. I'd like to at least make it a point to stop by, even just for a couple of days, to check out the progress and changes, make note of the prices of the food and drinks with the progress, as well as sample the boys and night life.

you are getting better and better with every post. I guess you had not only fun being there but also have fun writing to us.

Thank you

Yes, its hard to believe, but writing about the experience is almost as fun as going through it. It gets to me relive the awesome times that were had.  It extends the vacation for me. I've been in the USA for 15 days now but the vacation is still very much alive in my head through my storytelling and rereading what I've written. Unfortunately recounting the details sometimes makes me realize that I've could've made better decisions in certain things, but overall I think writing about this is a net positive for me. As paulsf says, it is a form of therapy for me. I'm glad you guys enjoy it.

I enjoyed reading about the dynamics within the groups - CB going with his friends when you went to the club, the interaction between the guys (don't you wish sometimes you were fluent in Khmer or Thai :) ),   the seating arrangements on the car trip, the eating arrangements - including the seating of the driver, the individual boys attention to you - asking if you were ok.  will be interesting reading to see how SR played out with all them along. 

Baguettes in Cambodia , bread rolls in Vietnam - to die for

cheers

I think if it were a different group of boys, like if it was just 3 boys I picked out randomly, it wouldn't have worked. But CB is (now) and long-time and familiar friend, so I know him almost inside out, so choosing his best friends to come with us was a no-brainer. He trusts them, so I didn't have anything to worry about.  

Yes, the bread is to die for. Can't wait to go to Vietnam to try their version of baguettes there. So much to explore in the Indochinese Peninsula! 

And guys, is it just me, or has the forum been relatively silent these past few days? 

An interesting question to ask CB.

My part of Isaan is Khmer heritage and the villagers speak a form of Khmer language and many (including my partner) look more Khmer than Thai.

Presumably CB has come across similar lads, does he consider they fit his description of Thais or does he think they act like Cambodians?

My partner and I have made several trips to Siem Reap as it is a shorter trip than driving to Bangkok or Pattaya and it always amuses me when people assume he is Khmer and he with a little indignation informs them "No, I am Thai"

Can I add my thanks for your fantastic, well crafted reports and taking what must be a fair amount of time to write them

Great reports, keep them coming! I couldn't ask for more detail.

But it should be "lie/lies" in all the following:
I ask him to lay down to be comfortable.
After all this I tell him to lay on his back, and I lay with him and look at him.
he puts back his clothes on and lays back down.

and many more

(although "and I lay with him and look at him."

can be saved by changing it to "and I lay with him and looked at him.")

... my visits to PP. ... and the food excellent.

My memories are the opposite. When I eat something that contains chicken in Cambodia, there are usually bone splinters and cartilage. I very rarely have this in Thailand. Strangely, street food seems to be more expensive in Cambodia than in Thailand, average 2 USD versus 40 or 45 THB, but that might just be because I don't speak the language and don't know dishes and prices for Khmer food.

again , thank you for very detailed and very entertaining report.

I envy you your excellent experience with  Cambodian boys, I wish I could second that but perhaps it  was just my bad luck.

Now we are for a treat I hope- stolen kisses among ruins

Your reports are making me addictive  to checking forum few times a day and my guess will be , I'm not alone here