numazu

Bangkok/Phnom Penh/Siem Reap Trip Report: The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

Trip Report with less sex?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should I do a trip report for Cambodia and Thailand that has less sex?

while the "official" mourning period may be 1 year, that just means that (a) they will wait that long until the royal cremation at Sanam Luang will take place and (b) that government employees are requested or required to wear only black/white for that period.

As for the general public, people are asked to, and presumably will, wear black/white for 30 days. The national flag at government buildings will be half-mast for (only) 30 days as well. Entertainment is asked to be "toned down" for 30 days as well, whatever that means, but it obviously does not imply a ban entailing closure of bars etc., as evidenced by bars and even some night clubs (such as G.O.D.) being open last night. Silom Soi 4 looked open tonight, too, but only saw it from the opposite side tonight.

anddy, are you going to the White Party this December? I bought tickets a few months ago, and I read on their Facebook that it is still on because the event is after the 30-day mourning period, but I wonder what the vibe will be. Will it be scaled back? I am thinking of extending my Myanmar trip by a day and skipping the first day of the White Party.

I am also curious what the vibe is at DJ Station and G.O.D. these days, and after mourning.

This is my first read of this thread. I like the well-written stories. I like the use of white space to make the lines more readable. I hate that the writer feels he must lie to the boy of whom he speaks so well. We find these wonderful guys yet cannot resist squeezing in another wonderful guy, but we don't want the main guy to know of our disloyalty.

Yes, I've been there. I am usually pretty open about being a butterfly, but I can see the dilemmas that pop up. Most of the time we have no idea if the wonderful guy is squeezing one in too, but it likely happens at times. (Not here, of course.)

Thanks ronnie4you. I hope you enjoyed the latest post which is devoted to the little white lies I have tell to get what I want. I feel kind of weird writing about it now and openly admitting to lying to BurBoy, who I love dearly. I will have no problem if he was squeezing one in too, and with his enormous sex drive, I can certainly understand that. I will be spending more time with him this December, and might tell him the truth, just to clear the air, and for the health of my conscience. The risk is losing him of course. We shall see.

Numazu,

don't pay any attention to what Fossil posted in Goldmember's thread and resume posting whenever you have time.

You need to understand that retirement is trying time for some and they do  whatever it takes to fight boredom.

We never met but I can  vouch for you as well. I one of earlier threads it was piece of unique information which  about one of boys which only intimate contact with him could reveal.  

People who post very little don't realize how labor intensive trip reporting is. Hats off to both you and Gold for taking your time to write to us. 

In Fossil's case, I'd say jealousy is the more likely reason than boredom for his silly little putdown.

But really, numazu, why care about it? You've received a record number of views from unregistered site visitors. They cannot comment, but the simple fact that they've kept coming back for more of your story should tell you all you need to know. As for us registered users who have commented on your reports, the overwhelming majority of these responses have been very positive (and rightly so, in my opinion). Please give that some thought and don't let the few negative responses discourage you.

Some people just derive pleasure from intentionally saying something that is uncalled for and readily picking up a fight. A characteristic similar to "Skankhunt42". Let's not get discouraged by any of the uncivilized comments.

Thanks for the support. You guys are awesome. I also got a lot of private messages of support as well. I'm a big boy and can handle the criticism (sometimes its the best advice you can ever get), but I am more puzzled about why there are people who are just so bitter and hostile to certain people they don't know. Life is just too short to be so negative. Or maybe I just have a naturally optimistic outlook in life. Or maybe I am just naive. 

Or maybe this U.S. Presidential Election is just getting on my last nerve.

Thanks so much.

You are a gifted writer and storyteller.

Your insights and observations always enhance the experience.

"Tomorrow, for most of us, we have to go back to our real lives and deal with a harsher and less forgiving world. But for a night, for a few hours, 300 of us get to be ourselves, or at least what we strive to be, and celebrate our love for each other."

Really good stuff!

All the best

Ah...welcome back...thanks for the words and the photos.

Yeah! Back to finish the story!

thanks for coming back! looks like you havent missed a beat :)

Thank you for the kind words. I guess this means I have to finish this thread lol. 

Yes welcome back numazu.

And, yes, you have to finish the thread!

Sad that you are going back only at the end of december whislt i'll be touring the gogo bars at beginning of it. Touring under your guidance would have been an experience!

You talked about Tawan for muscles men, Dreamboys for good show and offable boy and Jupiter 2000 for cuties "but dont touch me too much" guys and was wondering if you (still) had time to visit other gogos with other types too? Any comments on X-Boys, X-Size, Golden cock?

Maybe my question might be for another post. Not sure of the rule here...

"Sometimes I envy the retired among you that can do this every single day. Among the pros and cons of getting older, that probably is a pro I would love to have the most..."

On behalf of the retired among us, thank you for the envy.  Much appreciated considering some of us  envy your style and ability to release yourself so comfortably.  Maybe the best approach is to live in present with our joys and experience life as it comes. 

And, as I've said before keep up the journaling.  You are becoming the Pepys of Bangkok.

BurBoy then explains to me that there is now a gay version of Take Me Out Thailand, called “Take Guy Out Thailand”. After the show we go on my computer and fire up YouTube to watch a segment. We watch this one:

[....]

Quite entertaining, and another reason that I need to learn Thai. One common thread in all of the shows was all the “Bachelors” were fair-skinned and tall.

Nice find! I think Episode 4 in particular is fun to watch; the bachelor is a farang model from Slovakia. They translate some of what is being said for him, and some of the boys even make an attempt to charm him in English. So those who don't speak Thai can still understand quite a bit. They also make fun of his Thai now and then, because his pronunciation is far from perfect (not criticizing him, just stating the obvious). Sometimes it IS quite funny for those of us who do understand it (and for the Thais in that studio, apparently), especially when what he says does have a meaning, just not what he actually intends to say. For example right at the beginning, when he's being introduced and wants to say "Thai people".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waKpJ9W2uBo

Also fun, the moderator's comment regarding Roman's condom size (52 mm). ;)

I'm looking forward to retiring in Thailand, so I can understand your envy. Working in Bangkok isn't that bad either, at least you can have those naughty episodes more frequently and without enduring such a long flight. But I've got to say that self discipline was a major issue for me, especially in the first few years - something a visitor or a retiree doesn't have to worry about that much.

I'm glad that you've resumed your reporting. Great reads as always! :)

Day 8.0: Little Farang Lies

Sidenote: I wanted to title this post "Little White Lies", but I am not white, so "Little Farang Lies" might be a little bit more appropriate.

you're not white, and by the same token you are not farang, even though you're born and raised in farang-land. What they'd call you I actually don't know, but will try to find out ;)

anddy, are you going to the White Party this December? I bought tickets a few months ago, and I read on their Facebook that it is still on because the event is after the 30-day mourning period, but I wonder what the vibe will be. Will it be scaled back? I am thinking of extending my Myanmar trip by a day and skipping the first day of the White Party.

I am also curious what the vibe is at DJ Station and G.O.D. these days, and after mourning.

I haven't made any plans at all yet for NYE, so I may or may not go to the white party. I might actually let myself be "dragged" there by you lol. Will also have to see who else might be going with me...

I don't think it will be scaled down, if it's on, it's on. Even now the vibe in bars and presumably (I haven't been to DJ myself since the King passed away) DJ is normal, as Alexx already pointed out. A friend told me it was very busy at DJ last week, and that was not even the weekend. So another month and a half down the road I expect nightlife to be fully back to normal  Life does goes on, and everyone, including people in the night entertainment business, need to make a living. The government has made clear that things may and should continue even during the 30 day mourning period, just with some adjustments where appropriate.

Sad that you are going back only at the end of december whislt i'll be touring the gogo bars at beginning of it. Touring under your guidance would have been an experience!

You talked about Tawan for muscles men, Dreamboys for good show and offable boy and Jupiter 2000 for cuties "but dont touch me too much" guys and was wondering if you (still) had time to visit other gogos with other types too? Any comments on X-Boys, X-Size, Golden cock?

Maybe my question might be for another post. Not sure of the rule here... i do not want to divert from your posting!

When I read your comment I thought you had good timing. As showed in the last post I did go to a non-Tawan, Dreamboy, Jupiter bar, which is X-size. Its a curious bar, and I will be going back in December. Any insights on Golden Cock? I am not sure what to make of the bar. 

Its funny you say that I can be a tour guide for the bars. I feel that I am just starting out with my journey in Thailand and far from being an expert.

Ummm. Sorry, Jupiter 2002 to be precise. Not 2000.

What does the 2002 stand for? Year of establishment? Number of boys? Minimum tip? 

I don't think the vibe in nightclubs is any different. Those who are out to party do that to enjoy or distract themselves. Those who feel mournful simply don't hang out.

Oh good. I haven't heard anything from tourists about feeling gipped that their vacations fell on a monumentally major and sad event in Thailand. Which I guess is a good thing. I think for the most part outsiders understand how much the King meant to the people.

I believe that G.O.D. is still closed.  DJ Station closes at midnight.  

Midnight is when the party is just getting started!

On behalf of the retired among us, thank you for the envy.  Much appreciated considering some of us  envy your style and ability to release yourself so comfortably.  Maybe the best approach is to live in present with our joys and experience life as it comes. 

And, as I've said before keep up the journaling.  You are becoming the Pepys of Bangkok.

I had to google who Pepys was, which could just be a reflection of the poor public education I received when I was younger. 

I hate annoying platitudes as much as the next guy, but "Life is too short" seems to be my mantra these past couple of years now. 

Nice find! 

I'm looking forward to retiring in Thailand, so I can understand your envy. Working in Bangkok isn't that bad either, at least you can have those naughty episodes more frequently and without enduring such a long flight. But I've got to say that self discipline was a major issue for me, especially in the first few years - something a visitor or a retiree doesn't have to worry about that much.

I'm glad that you've resumed your reporting. Great reads as always! :)

Can I say that I am really jealous that you work in Bangkok? Though I feel that some of the magic I keep going back to will wear off once I live there 24/7. Its like Las Vegas: its nice to go to once in a while, but I would never live there. I hope I am wrong. Maybe it is paradise, even 24/7.

Someday I will learn Thai. It seems like a waste if I am only in the country 8 weeks a year (10 weeks this year). 

you're not white, and by the same token you are not farang, even though you're born and raised in farang-land. What they'd call you I actually don't know, but will try to find out ;)

I haven't made any plans at all yet for NYE, so I may or may not go to the white party. I might actually let myself be "dragged" there by you lol. Will also have to see who else might be going with me...

I don't think it will be scaled down, if it's on, it's on. Even now the vibe in bars and presumably (I haven't been to DJ myself since the King passed away) DJ is normal, as Alexx already pointed out. A friend told me it was very busy at DJ last week, and that was not even the weekend. So another month and a half down the road I expect nightlife to be fully back to normal  Life does goes on, and everyone, including people in the night entertainment business, need to make a living. The government has made clear that things may and should continue even during the 30 day mourning period, just with some adjustments where appropriate.

I've often thought about that myself. I am not white, but I am American. Is the farang term only for white people? paulsf has once told me that I get away with many things in Thailand because I am asian. Let me know if there is a term for people with asian heritage but come from western countries. What do they call the Chinese?

Haha sure, I guess I have to drag you kicking and screaming to the parties where a thousand of Asia's hottest and most upwardly mobile boys converge in one place where they seem to struggle keeping their shirts on, and their libidos in check.

Please check back after November 13 and let me know if the mood has changed in the entertainment venues.

Let me know if there is a term for people with asian heritage but come from western countries. What do they call the Chinese?

The usual slang term I have heard from Australian/Americans Born Asians is a "banana" - Yellow on the outside, but white on the inside.

Of course if a GWM uses the term its deemed to be a slur. But perfectly acceptable for an Asian to use

I've often thought about that myself. I am not white, but I am American. Is the farang term only for white people? paulsf has once told me that I get away with many things in Thailand because I am asian. Let me know if there is a term for people with asian heritage but come from western countries. What do they call the Chinese?

I put the question of whether someone of Asian heritage but raised in the U.S. would be a "farang," "kohn Asia" or something else to the language department of a school in Sukhothai (long story).  The answer was an unequivocal "kohn Asia," not farang.    

Guest ryanasia

When I read your comment I thought you had good timing. As showed in the last post I did go to a non-Tawan, Dreamboy, Jupiter bar, which is X-size. Its a curious bar, and I will be going back in December. Any insights on Golden Cock? I am not sure what to make of the bar. 

Its funny you say that I can be a tour guide for the bars. I feel that I am just starting out with my journey in Thailand and far from being an expert.

What does the 2002 stand for? Year of establishment? Number of boys? Minimum tip? 

Oh good. I haven't heard anything from tourists about feeling gipped that their vacations fell on a monumentally major and sad event in Thailand. Which I guess is a good thing. I think for the most part outsiders understand how much the King meant to the people.

Midnight is when the party is just getting started!

I had to google who Pepys was, which could just be a reflection of the poor public education I received when I was younger. 

I hate annoying platitudes as much as the next guy, but "Life is too short" seems to be my mantra these past couple of years now. 

Can I say that I am really jealous that you work in Bangkok? Though I feel that some of the magic I keep going back to will wear off once I live there 24/7. Its like Las Vegas: its nice to go to once in a while, but I would never live there. I hope I am wrong. Maybe it is paradise, even 24/7.

Someday I will learn Thai. It seems like a waste if I am only in the country 8 weeks a year (10 weeks this year). 

Haha sure, I guess I have to drag you kicking and screaming to the parties where a thousand of Asia's hottest and most upwardly mobile boys converge in one place where they seem to struggle keeping their shirts on, and their libidos in check.

Please check back after November 13 and let me know if the mood has changed in the entertainment venues.

Kon chin. They don't generally care where you are actually from you will be labelled based upon looks.

So the butterfly is dead. Long live whatever I have become.

At some point on this trip you referred to CB as your "beloved of the moment".  Since you landed you've had time with BurBoy who was there when you arrived, CB, Grindr Khmer, Mil Guy, Fit Khmer, Gorgeous Khmer, DTG, and a reunion with BurBoy...not to mention almost offs in Siem Reap and Fresh Boys.

Perhaps to paraphrase Mark Twain, the reports of the Numazu's butterfly's death are greatly exaggerated.  And on behalf of your readers, may I say be in the moment with your beloved of the moment and "butterfly on"

Nice to see happy familiar face of Phet with his trademark hairstyle I like so much. He is one of most popular boys at Tawan and reports are he is offed almost daily.

He is of historical significance not only for you  Numazu  as your first off ever.

For me he is first and only boy who backed from a deal. In May 2015 after all was negotiated and sealed with 3500 LT fee agreed , another first ever for me, all off the sudden he announced that he must go with another client and he dropped me with mouth gasping for an air LOL.

No , I don't hold any grudges and gladly will give him another chance, business in business.

For me he is first and only boy who backed from a deal. In May 2015 after all was negotiated and sealed with 3500 LT fee agreed , another first ever for me, all off the sudden he announced that he must go with another client and he dropped me with mouth gasping for an air LOL.

I had a good laugh imagining Vinapu gasping for an air like a goldfish.

Thank you for cheering me up.