TMax

Tarntawan changing management

Just a note for those that stay there, the Tarntawan hotel is about to go through a change of management as Moana and the current management will stop on Sept 30th. Now it will be interesting to see if there will be any changes and if so just what they will be. Oh and in the immediate term if you are trying to make a booking beyond Sept 30 Lukas suggests going through a third party like Agoda, Expedia etc. Just until the new management have the new website up, along with the new name.

Below is from the hotel and sent to a member of another board.

Moana Hotels & Resorts will stop managing the Tarntawan Place 30 September 2016. The owning company will continue running the place under a new management and new name. Current reservations (with or without deposit) will be honoured.

Lukas sent me a similar response when I asked about booking for next month.  He didn't indicate he was going and said he see me next month.

Would be cool if Lukas stayed on, he is good

that's interesting.... used to stay there all the time in all those years before moving here. I heard once that Lukas is actually the owner of the hotel, but no idea if that's true or not.

His title in the emails I've received over the years says Director so he could well be either owner or part owner

Guest ryanasia

Lukas is indeed a very nice guy and in my opinion one of the better things about Tarntawan lately. Regardless if he stays on or not I hope they can find some funds to do what they need to do to update the property.

I agree with all said above, they are all a great team at Tarntawan Place and part of my reason for returning so often (not to mention the ease and helpful security if I happen to be fortunate to take a guest back!)

I am due back there in a few weeks time and so I asked Lukas for some clarification, his reply in addition to confirming change of management company and that all reservations will be honoured - which you would fully expect, also confirmed in response to my question re joiners and ease that "I have been assured current policies will be maintained" I will update this board following my visit next month, but I am reasonably confident nothing will change very quickly, hopefully the hotel will remain under the day to day stewardship of Lukas but will advise following my visit.

Just been reading elsewhere that staff cuts at Tarntawan have started, they are saying the doormen and the guards by the elevator were told they no longer had jobs. Bit sad really as some of those guys were good and always managed to have a nice chat with them, wonder how many more will go

I have a booking for this coming Wednesday and Thursday.  In the past on Thursday there has been a manager's drinks party for guests.  If that is still in place and Lukas is there I'll ask about the changes and report back.

Cheers, be good to hear first hand what's happening

I have a booking for this coming Wednesday and Thursday.  In the past on Thursday there has been a manager's drinks party for guests.  If that is still in place and Lukas is there I'll ask about the changes and report back.

I have a booking for an up coming stay there so it will be good to hear from someone actually visiting so soon after the changes to find out the lie of the land now. I received an email yesterday from the new operators basically stating what has already been announced here and that from Oct 1 the new operators are Value Hotels Co Ltd. The email address is info@tarntawansurawong.com.  

Those that have booked should have received or will shortly receive an email from the hotel management explaining a bit about what is happening. Value Hotels are taking over the operation of the Tarntawan from Moana and the so called name change is to The Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok.

Big news item in middle of this post.

OK....I arrived around midnight last night (October 5). As has been reported here the old website is out of service aka "dead". I book via Agoda and requested a car at airport as I knew I had 30 hours of airports and planes to survive before BKK. Couldn't get a confirmation about the car. I IM'd YA of siamroads who called the hotel to get the car confirmed. He was gracious enough not to mention he could have arranged a pick up for me.

Car was not the usual minivan, driver used lots of side roads to avoid the tolls but drove skillfully. And made it a quick trip.

At hotel, evening bellman gone. Two security staff. One familiar from previous trips. Late night desk staff of two both seen on previous visits. Seems that the customer data base disappeared with the changeover. The staff recognized me but there was no history file.

Once in room, noticed it looked the same. Realized there was no welcoming drink. Read posting in elevator that food and beverage service stopped at 10pm.

This morning went down for breakfast. Morning security guard remains the same as for past couple of years. 3 customers Having breakfast. Two new faces at desk. Discuss my next week one night stay. Told Agoda hadn't sent it to them yet. I showed a copy and they noted the room I preferred and offered to move me to it today. I agreed as it has the best internet being next to the router.

I asked after Lukas and was told he is no longer associated with the hotel. REPEAT. Lukas no longer part of Tarntawan.

No Manager's cocktail party anymore. Apparently, with no website bookings are way down. Some staff gone but not sure if it's related to the occupancy rate. One or two guests per floor means fewer housekeeps. Security guards double as bellmen.

If I notice anything else I'll post again. I will note that everyone is trying very hard to be helpful.

Vinapu - I think your night desk clerk is one of the surviving staff.

Thanks ggobkk for your report

Have you noticed if still the same policy when bringing a guest back so far as security goes and do they appear to be still doing the breakfast 24/7 - I am due back in a couple of weeks and would be good to know?

Thanks

Same policy regarding guests. Food and beverage 6am to 10pm. Only. So, at least at the moment 24/7 breakfast a thing of the past.

OK....I arrived around midnight last night (October 5). 

I asked after Lukas and was told he is no longer associated with the hotel. REPEAT. Lukas no longer part of Tarntawan.

Vinapu - I think your night desk clerk is one of the surviving staff.

1. Good to know that you are there , it means soon we will be treated with another great trip report.

2. That is news as he was fixture there forever

3. no, guy I liked  / look of /  was daytime staff

Shared from an email sent to another person, all contracts (bookings) to be honoured which is a good thing. Bit late but better late than never

Just received an email from Tarntawan Place Hotel announcing a 'change of operator' from Moana to Value Hotels Co Ltd. It is also 'expected' that the name will change to The Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok. All contracts before Oct 1 remain the responsibility of Moana and after Oct 1 Value Hotels Co Ltd. All reservations beyond Oct 1 to be honoured.

Was told it was a tour group (all couples m/f) from Malaysia.

I heard it was a large group of Malaysians that had invested in an agricultural development in Thailand who had stayed at Tarntawan Place under the old management a few times a year for the last few years and had another booking in a few months, so at least it seems some things haven't changed!

Maybe they just used to have breakfast earlier before - like the Japanese golfers! the old Tarntawan was always a fairly broad church even if we only remember the nice smile our boy du jour used to get from the staff

was the fried rice good?

bkkguy

Have always stayed at Tarntawan but will have to check how ant transition goes. My fear if they are getting rid of staff already is that they won't be spending anything on improvements. Will have to wait and see.

I've never stayed but I think it is really nice how loyal some of you are to the old staff.  For those of you who are unkeen to stay there if the old staff are gone a short email to the hotel explaining that might help them out.