Moses

Roi Et city, Thailand? Any experience?

It's a nice little city, with a pleasant lake and park in the center.  There are some interesting temples in the area and a couple of ancient  sites.  Overall a pretty nice and inexpensive place.  I am not sure i'ld recommend it as a major "destination," but not a bad place to go to get a bit off the beaten path and gang out with Thais.  I don't believe there's much if any overt gay scene, but you might find some activity on Hornet.  

For anyone looking to visit a provincial small city in the autumn you should consider Surin during the weekend 19th/20th November to watch the Elephant Festival, the Khmer ruins of Phanum Rung are also close by. Surin could also be combined with a visit to Roi Et.

Surin is similar to Roi Et in that there is no open gay scene.

(Note the Elephant Festival weekend has two main events The Elephant Buffet which is held in the streets with no admission tickets needed and The Elephant Show for which tickets are required and seats in the shade are recommended. That weekend is very popular and advance hotel bookings are essential)

I agree with DivineMadam's comments.  I have visited Roi Et. It was enjoyable and inexpensive. It is a place that does not receive as many farang visitors and therefore, the people are even more curious to interact with you. :)  There is also a university there.  Don't expect to find a commercial scene, but who knows what you might find on popular apps for meeting. It would be helpful if you spoke some basic Thai.

the Khmer ruins of Phanum Rung are also close by. 

I've been there with my boyfriend last year. We came from direction Korat / Buriram. Anybody wants to go there and not climb up the steps to the top, don't use the main parking lot but stop at Gate 3. You could also save on admission fee, if you want to visit nearby Prasat Muean Tam ruins as well. THB 100 each, or THB 150 for combined ticket.

Farang seem to be in short supply, I had two families ask to take pictures with me because I was the first caucasian the kids had seen in their lives.

Farang seem to be in short supply, I had two families ask to take pictures with me because I was the first caucasian the kids had seen in their lives.

My Thai bf comes from nearby Roi-Et in a small village. When he was a boy he told me that the local people who come out to see a farang.  Look like monkey, all covered with hair! Someday I will go to Roi-Et and check it out.

I spent two nights in Roi Et (thai for 101) some years ago, and found the place to be lively during daytime but very quiet after dark. I walked a lot around the lake in the middle of downtown Roi Et but could not see the slightest hint there could be boys available in the area.

However many boys from the Roi Et province seem eager to sell services on Facebook, so that would be the way to go if I happened to go there again.

The setting around the lake is nice and there are some very interesting temples in the province. I have been twice for sightseeing in 2014 (details see my blog) and the two different hotels I stayed in were "look for something nicer next time".

http://christianpfc.blogspot.de/search/label/Roi%20Et