Jimbillp

The top ten not on the top ten list of things to do in Bangkok

Not long now till I hit Bangkok again for a few days. Have done most of the big must do tourist sites and know soi twilight and the Silom massage places get talked about a lot.

Would welcome thoughts on a few great things to do and see that are less known about. Both touristy and more naughty. And extending the footprint across the City. All thoughts welcome.

Also very keen to do a lively Thai cookery course that's more focused on fun than becoming the next Raymond blanc or Mcdang.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A fun cooking class that also gets you into the Klong Toey neighborhood ("slum") is Cooking with Poo and Friends.  http://www.cookingwithpoo.com   Much more laid back than Blue Elephant.  I highly recommend it.

For naughty, out of Silom, but still easy to reach by BTS, try King Spa (http://www.kingspabkk.com) and/or Body Club (http://www.bodyclubbangkok.com).  I've had a lot of luck at both but I seem to recall other board members having more mixed experiences.    

Get the ferry from Saphan Taksin and go up the river to Thewes ferry stop. (A long way). Don't miss the stop or you'll end up in Ayutthaya. A little bit further on, on the next promontory, you can see it from the ferry stop, is Steve's Restaurant. Go for lunch: fabulous trip, food and location. It is tricky to get to - you almost have to walk through the neighbours' kitchens - so look at Steve's website for directions. And don't forget the trail of breadcrumbs so you can find your way back. The starting point is to go out of the ferry wharf inland and turn left over the bridge that you'll see then double back. Afterwards, have a look at the beautiful Wat nearby and the creepy timber museum the name of which eludes me. You can go back down the river or get a cab to Hua Lamphong which is not far and get the train from there. 

Just yesterday I got a english-Thai mag-wanderlustmag.com that listed 10 spots in greater BKK to take family to (aimed at expats).

These also included the muang boran=ancient city (a kind of miniature TH), the Erawan elefant museum-both out of BKK in PakNam/Samut Prakarn, the waterpark on top of the MALL (shopping cnetre) in bang Khae and a promo-advertaorial oabout a couple (US+TH) doing foodie-walks+trips (eating.not so much cooking) in various areas, as bang Rak (where Silom is in=more Chinese).

The bekpek ghetto (versus the tourist ghetto) of BangLamPHu, close by to Sanam Luang and SaranRom park (with MBs on the streets late at nite), is much more aimed at low-cost ditto offers, incl the thus inevitable vegetarian (may Kaidee).

Search christianpfc.blogspot.nl for more tips on uncommon places-he has been there-, or bangkok-daytrips.

- go to Bang Kra Jao, rent a bicycle there (only 100 Baht/day) and bike around the green lung of Bangkok, enjoy it's scenery, temples such as Wat Bang Nam Peung and a floating market (talad nam bang nam peung)

- go to Koh Kret, also rent a bicylce there and ride around this community of Mon people and enjoy the local foods and crafts along the way.

- to an off-the-beaten track guided bicycle tour around Bangkok, with companies such as www.bangkokbikeadventure.com or http://www.covankessel.com

see flower exhibition in Rama 9 park

take train  to Wat Sawan on hue Hin line . about 1 hr from Hualampong, walk to the river and hire boat for a canal trip 

go to Golden Mount, only hill in Bangkok , quite centrally located, you can go there by Saen Saeb commuter boat

for fun visit Jey Spa in Sukhumvit 41

but I agree with Pong, Christioan's blog is a mine of info about  unknown charms around Bangkok

I am so innocent, are the BJ bars what I suspect?

I've been to both straight and gay bj bars and yes they are what you suspect, the gay one was when Golden Cock was at its sleaziest, I don't think it was meant to be a bj bar though but the experience was very nice. Haven't been there for quite some time but from what I have read it's a fair bit more discreet now

As someone above has said, the Ancient City is a good half day out if you are into that kind of thing. If you are not a keen walker, grab a golf cart as it can be very hot and tiring else. The smaller canals can also be a fun way of seeing bits of Bangkok you might not generally see if you don't use these as part of your day to day transport. Hiring a guide to pick an itinary for you for a day or two could also be fruitful if you tell him you want to avoid the main tourist sites.

Guest abang1961

If one can wake up really early in the morning (assuming you did not off anyone that previous night), I would recommend TAI QI at Lumpini Park.  It is one of my favourite activities to do in Bangkok.  I just join the older men and women (nicely known as uncles and aunties) at 7 am and have a good time following their movements.

After the hour-long session and after the National Anthem, I would do 2 rounds of brisk walking around the park, passing the open gym and ogling at muscled Thai men.  To complete the morning ritual, I would stop by the breakfast corner - have simple breakfast and a good glass of fruit juice or soya bean milk.

If you are a late riser, do this routine at about 5.30 pm.  No Tai-qi lessons and breakfast but you can still do the brisk walking and ogling.. except the evening crowd at the open gym are much younger ...Thai bar boys exercising before their duties at the bar..

Photos: Morning and evening view - enjoy the serenity in this green lung of the city.

The clock tower is the landmark where uncles and aunties practised their morning Tai Qi.

post-13467-0-40750400-1481530182_thumb.jpg

post-13467-0-70774000-1481530206_thumb.jpg

post-13467-0-18680500-1481530290_thumb.jpg