brall3

Recommed a doctor

Guest ronnie4you

As an aside, we had to call a doctor in the middle of the night recently. The hotel arranged it. She arrived with a staff of two, but felt she had to take the hubby in by ambulance to BNH. The ambulance, with 2 more staff, was already there. Apparently they all came together. We hardly could object, not knowing what was going on. A brief visit, an injection, and then a cab ride back was all it took. Cost? About $150 US. My trip insurance should cover that.

$150 would come under the excess on a lot of cheap insurance policies.

When travelling in Thailand, I always stock electrolyte, antibiotics & loperamide, just in case anything strikes.   

I also take probiotics every morning & since I started that 3 years ago, there have been no incidents.

Guest ronnie4you

I am trying to make sense of this statement. Could you please clarify?

Loperamide is probably best known under the brand name Imodium. The Thai version has a splendid graphic which directly indicates its function. It stops the immediate problem, but does nothing for the underlying cause.

An excellent local treatment, readily available and inexpensive, is Disento which treats the bacterial infection causing the problem.

Electorate is to replace all the salt & sugar that leaves your system when suffering from diarrhea.

It can very rapidly perk up a sick & tired person.

Loperamide stops you needing the toilet excessively. Very useful if you have to fly anywhere whilst suffering.

I initially avoid the Loperamide and prefer to let my system rid itself of the problem if possible. But I carry it also just in case.

I find the Electrolyte drink packets useful for fluid replacement as mentioned above. I also occasionally use one if the heat and humidity are out of control and affecting me.

I don't know if anyone else has had the experience, but I have had several episodes of kidney stones in Thailand, never at my home country.  It can come from dehydration and inactivity and can also happen during flying.  Not a fun experience waiting for those things to pass.

Big question is did brall3'3 friend recover or is he still shitting?

you are just bad boy koko.

Thank you for everybody above enlightening me about those medications.

By grace of God I never had in Thailand in my 15 trips  type of problems they may be useful for.

Clearly , daily massage, nightly long time off, making my own strong tea in the room and avoiding fancy restaurants , pigging on Foodland Patpong breakfasts and chicken with cashew nuts at Oasis or Maxis has it's advantages.

bad case of diaherria

One of the most difficult to spell words of the English language. I have diarrhea a few times per year, but between I forget the spelling and have to look it up every time.

Now is one such time. After taking charcoal for two days, situation didn't improve, so I went to a pharmacy. They wanted to sell me Immodium (loperamide), which firstly doesn't fight the cause, and secondly didn't work for me when I tried in 2011. So I asked for ciprofloxacin which worked well last time, and works well this time!

I don't know if anyone else has had the experience, but I have had several episodes of kidney stones in Thailand, never at my home country.  It can come from dehydration and inactivity and can also happen during flying.  Not a fun experience waiting for those things to pass.

As I know too well. Stones may take a while to grow, without any symptoms until they start to move, so it can be difficult to identify the cause. Regardless, it's definitely wise to avoid dehydration at all times. Also rhubarb ;)

For emergency self-medication for the pain you can take the maximum dose of both paracetamol/acetaminophen and ibuprofen simultaneously (so long as you are OK with either of these on its own, of course.)  If compounds with added codeine (e.g. co-codamol) are legal where you are, that helps too, but I wouldn't risk carrying anything containing codeine when travelling. A doctor may have more potent options available.

Now is one such time. After taking charcoal for two days, situation didn't improve, so I went to a pharmacy. They wanted to sell me Immodium (loperamide), which firstly doesn't fight the cause, and secondly didn't work for me when I tried in 2011. So I asked for ciprofloxacin which worked well last time, and works well this time!

I wouldn't be without it when travelling, just in case. But be careful what you drink while taking cipro... unlike some antibiotics, alcohol is no problem, but milky drinks stop it working and it potentiates caffeine to the point where you can feel quite ill :thumbsd: after a single cup of tea.

I am trying to make sense of this statement. Could you please clarify?

Just saw the question about what an "excess" is.  It is a clause in a policy which indicates the amount that a customer has to pay in the event of a claim.  The cheaper the policy, the higher the excess.  So for example if you make a medical claim on a policy with a $150 excess and your expenses amount to $160, you only get $10 dollars refunded.

it potentiates caffeine to the point where you can feel quite ill :thumbsd: after a single cup of tea.

again it looks that it's very unhealthy to get sick

I can't see my day without healthy dose of  tea, just finishing my 6th today.

Best way to avoid all those medications is simply watch what one eats and remember that exotic food my cause problem even if its perfectly fresh, just because its  unfamiliar to your nourishing tract. So when arrive take thing slowly even if food looks so tempting.