numazu

Bangkok/Yangon/Bagan/Mandalay Trip Report: Playing With Fire

From my little experience:

I did not see any exchange restrictions while I was there. There is still the mandatory warning of declaring anything over $10,000, but that is worldwide though.

One thing I noticed is that hotels are not authorized to change money anymore. I have been told this was possible one time. You are encouraged to pay by credit card, or have already exchanged your dollars to kyats when paying for anything at the hotel.

The exchange rate when I was there was 1350 kyats for $1. This was used in my one currency exchange experience at the Yangon Airport. BurBoy showed me a "black market" sign in Bagan that had 1430 kyats exchange. After my initial exchange at the airport, I did not use any more exchanges and just used ATMs, and the rate was the official government rate of 1350 kyats.

You can pay for flights in both kyats and USD. You can only pay kyats or credit cards with hotels. Some hotels (and upscale restaurants) WILL accept dollars (and will gladly do so) but the change is in kyats, of course, and I am not entirely sure if this is officially allowed by the government. Best practice: use a credit card at hotels that have them, but have some kyats before you come, just in case.

One thing I've absorbed is how useful the details / descriptions you employ turn out to be. Tour companies, restaurants, clubs, frustrations, etc. two examples I had a great dinner last night at the Poseidon Wine Restsurant after using Pattaya Taxi service to get to Pattaya. Myanmar is penciled in for later this year and your reports will help center the visit.

I tend to resist taking photos as I find looking back at older photos they don't match my memory. Now that I realize that this creates Trumpian alternative facts, I need to have some sort of record. , I'm still not taking many pictures but am journaling. See what comes of it when I get home.

You said this about Phnom Penh. I guess like that city, Yangon is on its way to be a more developed city. 

Just an observation so far: the trip report has a lot of views and clicks like my previous ones, but it has less discussions/engagement from members than before. Are people just content reading my ramblings? Is it that boring? Nothing controversial to discuss? 

it's not a coincidence as I visited both countries and a Thailand for first time in one epic trip and both Burma and Cambodia were then bearing heavy scars of wars and isolation.

I'd not call your posts ramblings, rather very detailed reporting , hence less questions and discussions IMNSHO.

Are people just content reading my ramblings? 

For me, exactly that, though, importantly, I'd replace "ramblings" with "compelling narrative"

Boring you ask? The exact opposite, like others have already said. Informative, engaging, enthralling. As for commenting?asking questions, nothing much to add for the reasons just given. Questions no really necessary, everything seems comprehensive. Maybe it's not because people are lazy to comment/ask, maybe it's because your reports have become better an better and much more complete with the practice of multiple long reports!

High number of hits from limited number of reader only means we all keep checking up on your thread to see if youve read something new lol ive been to yangon quite recently to visit a family who is working there, and the experience were not as expected. Granted i didnt go there alone and it wasnt a normal tourist visit. But cant wait for your review on bagan and mandalay, as well as the boys lol

I think you should  tip Kyaw a bit , just to keep with Christmas spirit. Tour could be expensive but likely he did not get much out of 200$ you paid.

Glad that even in moment of passion you did not forget yourself and remembered about playing it safe.

Certainly your Christmas Day of 2016 was one to remember for long time.

better than you expected or worse ?

Worse than expected, byogok market were out of electricity the for 2-3 days and its really hot and sweaty inside, not to mentioned its hard to see things in the dark lol. The traffic is bad, but mostly not because of too many cars, but rather poorly manage traffic light and road system. The cars there is a mixed of left and right hand side drivers, while the road follows US system, while the driver there dont follow traffic rules lol. But i dont like most cities for this very reason anyway, and i have low expectations on hygiene and cleanliness when visiting many asian cities, having lived 1 year in ho chi minh myself lol.

No worries, it's hard to imagine that anyone is bored! I love your reports so far, all of them. I just haven't had anything of interest to add to this series yet, so all I can offer at this point is a hug and some words of encouragement: please keep them coming! :)