numazu

Bangkok/Yangon/Bagan/Mandalay Trip Report: Playing With Fire

.....one of the reasons why I haven't felt encouraged to post my last TR from January.

reading your post I was about to ask you but now you answered my question.

Perhaps you can take some pills and put your report together for us after all?

But there is a bit of a lesson for us all here.  Most of us wouldn't post a clear photo showing ourselves surrounded by money boys and describing it as such.  The same principle should surely apply to photos of other people, unless they specifically said it was ok to do so.

You think that we are in need of a lesson and  that you are qualified to teach it.

Please, please, please let's afford the people we come across in Thailand with the respect and dignity we might like to receive ourselves.

Here is why your teaching may not be appropriate:  somehow you think that members of this forum need to be lectured about treating others with more respect and dignity, like we don't have our own moral standards. You don't take into consideration that we are not young Thai models, money boys with at least some gay lifestyle displayed in public.

A more appropriate moral rule is:  I should deal with the picture of another person not like it is OF ME, but like I would IF I WAS THE PERSON IN THE PICTURE. 

For example, I would feel hurt if someone posts a nude picture of me in the thread "Some Model Photoshots".  Yet I post all the time pictures from professional models and amateurs who have them taken to be exhibited and promoted, and I am confident that they are in agreement... like I would be if I were in their shoes.

Not sure what to say here.  I enjoy Numazu's reports and having met him and Burboy know they are a great pairing.  I've also met DivineMadman and know that he is thoughtful and one who looks out for and protects the boys.  Which is what I belive he was doing when he called the face pictures out to Numazu, who followed up by obscuring the faces.  

About this point, things on this post deteriorated.  

So I hope Numazu's suspense laden tour of the top 3000 eating places in Myanmar and Thailand continues.

Day 74: The Five Days That May Have Finally Stopped me from Going Back to Bangkok

--------

So, I am at a crossroads at the moment. As much enamored as I am with Bangkok and its sex tourism industry, it only takes me three-and-a-half hours from California to get to Puerto Vallarta and get the same thing, for the same amount money. The boys are different, and probably more suited to my tastes. If MexBoy is any indication of what I can expect from Latino boys, it will be a more sensual and explosive time. I feel that the Bangkok boys are relatively more reserved. And it takes me 20+ hours just to get to Bangkok, and factor in the time difference and jetlag, and one wonders why I would want to go back to Bangkok ever again, when Mexico is just there for the relatively easy taking.

The trip report is the same. Why would I continue to post if I must develop a “thick skin?” Instead of changing myself, why not just stop posting online? I like being sensitive sometimes. It enables me to express myself more freely in life and in my writing. And why heavily edit my already completed report? I need to take the extra time to blur faces in my night in Fake Club, for example, where BurBoy and I met a few boys from Dream Boy, one of whom was flirting with BurBoy hard, and more sloppily as he got more drinks in him. The blurring of faces and editing of text is time consuming, so I may not just do it.  Not to mention that I am taking a chance just talking about Mexican Boys on the GayThailand forum. It might devolve into that Taipei thread. So much sniping at each other in that one. It’s exhausting.

The standards in which I was asked to follow is cut-and-dry. I saw my error and I corrected it before the editing time, and apologized for it. But what I see on other threads on this board is kind of confusing to me. Does this board have a problem with showing prostitute’s faces to protect their privacy? Clearly not, judging from the countless threads of sexual exploits with photos of boy with faces shown. Maybe the standard is that its not allowed to post photos without the consent of the boys? But there is a whole section devoted to Hornet reviews of boys, with photo of their faces in their unblurred glory, and there was no consent asked in sharing those photos and profiles, at least as far as i know.

Maybe the standard is that those Hornet boys are known to be prostitutes and are getting reviewed by posters here, and the difference with my mistake is that I am showing boys that I can only guess as prostitutes, in a public setting. But what about when posters show just random Hornet photos, urging members to try those boys’ services. There is no guarantee that they are prostitutes, and yet the posters oftentimes insinuate that they are. What about those photos belonging to fake profiles that use photos of boys that are not prostitutes, where’s the outcry in that? They don’t know their photos are getting perved on in this board. I estimate that a quarter of the profiles in gay apps are fake, and those profiles use photos of hot boys they find on Instagram or Facebook. Catfish is a real thing after all. All these standards, for me, are confusing and hard to keep up with. I guess in the end, it depends on the poster and what standard is imposed on them. Cest la vie.

------

I am glad to see that you keep posting.  I think highly of your writing, and I wish I could think the same about your assertiveness. Please note the parts of your post I made bold.  To have a "thick skin" is not a must, but think of all the trouble this can save you. Instead of being so influenced by some negatives here, you could completely ignore them and follow your own mind, which a majority of us find perfectly fine, and only take into account any comment by a moderator of this site, the only person who is in a position to dictate the rules here.

It is unfortunate that some people want to impose their own questionable moralities without realizing that ALL OF US are already demonized by society's questionable ancient moralities and religious fantasies that consider gay sex an 'abomination', and paid gay sex a "super abomination".  You must have already some "thick skin" to have rejected the impositions of society, so you should not be too far from being able to reject the lecturing of the amateur preachers here.  If you think that you have not made any error to apologize for and instead the preachers made the error (and it seems that some have been apologetic already), we are all in agreement.   :)

I thank you for your report on Puerto Vallarta. I live in the south of the US, and this Mexican place is much, much closer than BKK.  My likeness for Latinos is only slightly less than for Asians, to the point that the difference vanishes depending on the individual.  Savings in travel time and money could make this destination as good or better value than BKK.  I would still travel to BKK however, because I think it is safer and also more different, adventurous without speaking the language. But I will plan to give Puerto Vallarta a try.  

WOW!  Talk about a turn of events!  Did not think the tale was going to turn that way...... 

but what a way to end it numazu.... with another sexy travel chapter that leaves us hanging for more.  But also what might be a closing chapter on the story....

good on you... leave us wanting more .. well some of us!  :good:

(now to my private message...)

That was quite a trip, thank you for sharing. I was wondering if it should be in Thailand or Myanmar, and now Mexico as well!

A friend once said "Heineken export is the lowest common denominator in world-wide taste of beer", and I apply this to my writing: the day everyone applauds me, I will stop because I have become bland. Every now and then, I like to offend the easily offended, ignorant and hypocrites!

Nobody should take criticism on this forum too serious. People have different sensibilities, I didn't pay any further thought the pictures from the disco, other than checking if anyone is my type.

With more than 35,000 views of this post, Numazu, your reports are read, valued, and enjoyed...while there was a circular firing squad, you did not get in the circle.  Write on, when you want, about what you want.  

As you mention, you will be back in Bangkok in April for Songkran - a time to enjoy, participate, take photos (for self and/or others) - see what time brings...hopefully some more joy in making reports.  

Guest Chris35

wow, what a post.. was just planning to read roughly over it due to the Myanmar-topic I was interested in, but finally spent half office day at reading it :). Great stuff, thanks.

Guest RickSJ

Your report on Mexico trip is very tempting.

I'm thinking of canceling bangkok trip and heading to Mexico instead. $5 drink and $100 for long time are cheaper than in Bangkok.

great , entertaining and yet instructive report, true gem of this forum produced using enormous amount of effort and time.

Yet perhaps you worked too hard and got tired  with entertaining us,  leading to overreaction to mildly expressed disagreement with your method of reporting and allowing yourself to abort if on quite a bitter note.

You should and deserve to treat yourself better as getting upset about  matters far from fundamental does nothing to your well being and only speeds up graying and wrinkling process.

Have  a few days rest and finish up what you started here with such  a success , otherwise your consciousness will be tainted by leaving  work not completed and readers orphaned   

Yet perhaps you worked too hard and got tired with entertaining us, leading to overreaction

[/quote

Why do people say this. Saying someone is over-reacting is guaranteed to insult and anger them when you tell them they shouldn't be feeling the way they do. There is no better way to escalate an argument into a war than to tell someone their feelings should be like yours, or to judge someone’s feelings as inappropriate.

Don't believe me? Try telling someone who's already pissed off at you that they're overreacting. They almost always never calm down, or even want to hear what you have to say after that.

Have  a few days rest and finish up what you started here with such  a success ... 

Numazu, you can start by posting all the pictures you want of the 22 year old Mexican hottie without blurring any faces. If it was far fetched the concern that a Thai gogo boy would read lengthy posts on this forum written in English,  one can be confident that Mexican money boys don't read a Thai forum IN ENGLISH.

Guest Stewart

A sense of dread for what lay ahead was in the air, as well as the fear bidding our inevitable farewell that we had to endure as two people who were inhabitants of two totally different worlds, meeting in a sort of third “intermediate” world that Thailand was, where it was easy to think that the two weeks I just had was real. It wasn’t, it never is real. The only real thing about the past two weeks is the feeling of the heartache that follows.

I thank you for your reports and much valued information on Myanmar.

I quote above from your opening paragraphs on your original report. This to me is the most profound statement that I have heard in years and simply put made me realise that actually I want to live in the "intermediate world" that Thailand is but it will be my world and the weeks and years to come will be real and there will be no more heartache. Thankfully I am now in a position to make this so.

If you should ever, in the future, be any where near Sun Bar Jomtien Complex I would like to buy you a drink and if I am not there please put it on my tab.

Thanks and good luck for the rest of your travels.

Although we didn't realize it at the time, and perhaps nor did Numazu, that a wonderful yet painful story was unfolding. I believe the vast majority of us have experienced at least one departure from Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang where we had emotions similar to those that he shared.

Many here, myself included, prize our butterfly status. And most the time, it's a reasonable--indeed necessary--way to approach our time there. Not often, but every now and then, we experience a disconcerting twinge in our gut as our plane races down the runway.  We are all too well aware of the cause and very much want the time to pass rapidly until the flight attendant asks what we'd like to drink.

That's the stuff we almost always omit from trip reports. It's goes to a place we'd prefer to keep to ourselves.  Numazu did not and that, in the end, made all the difference in the pleasure we took from his writing. We were cheering for a happy ending and the promise of tales of future adventures. 

It's clear that he had a great time in Puerto Vallarta. But with all that behind him, the inevitable rendering of the heart replaced what was a gay man's adventure of a lifetime compressed into a matter of weeks. He's told us that he'll soon be returning and we selfishly hope to persuade him to keep us in the loop. But I suspect it won't be that simple for him. I understand if he's more guarded, more protective now.  Once you open yourself emotionally to close friends or total strangers, it's easy to be hurt.