ozmouse

Mocy rides - how do determine fare

I have started using mocy drivers last few trips in BKK - ie sathorn to silom.  But as with most monetary exchanges, i always wonder if i am getting ripped off. 

what is the rules of engagement here?  

Is there standard/set fares? min hire?   i presume 2 level pricing for locals/farangs? 

Im guessing there will always be the hussler driver trying to rip off a farang, so i would like to be forearmed with a counter price if quoted high.  Or does the possee of drivers at a stop all monitor each other (or share in the loot)?

thanks in advance. 

I'm  now charged 100 bht for Babylon to Tarntawan- much the same distance as your Sathorn-Silom trip.- and that's a 40% increase over the past two years.  

There is a strict rotation among the motor-cy taxi drivers, as I found out on my first visit when I decided that I wanted to choose a mature rider. Having approached the oldest , he motioned to a one who was barely pubescent and had yet to learn the meaning of fear. 

prices are regulated and there's a sign with the prices at the mocy stand.  Unfortunately I think you'll find it it is written in Thai, so may not be particularly useful for you.  There's not supposed to be two-tier pricing but wouldn't surprise me if drivers try to tack on something extra.  Cute little piece in coconuts about a mocy stand that [illegally] put up a sign saying overweight people would be charged extra.  http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/30/opinion-should-motorcycle-taxi-drivers-be-able-charge-heavy-people-more

DM is right about the large placard showing prices for standard destinations from that particular mocy stand. However, if you hail one away from a stand it's more down to negotiation, unless you know what the fare ought to be (the excercise of this thread). Mocy's waiting in front of Babylon invariably try to overcharge, I guess for three reasons: (1) many people there are foreigners not knowing what the fare should be, (2) charging for the convenience of being there (no taxis available in the soi, and next mocy stand is a bit of a walk), and (3) pay a commission to Babylon for the privilege to loiter there. 

The fare from Babylon to Silom/Convent Road should be no more than 40-50 Baht. Now where exactly from Sathorn to where exactly in Silom are you going? Both are LONG roads na ;)

The fare from the corner of Silom/Convent Road to Suan Phlu (i.e. your reverse trip) is only 20 or 30, I can double check that next time I pass. 

Also prices can depend on the number of turns to be taken on the route. So a 1km ride in a straight line can be cheaper than 750m with a few turns from soi to soi. 

I too came out of Babylon wanting to go to the Tarntawan and was quoted over 100 Baht.

I told him to fuck off as I had arrived in a normal taxi for less than 60 baht.

Just walk to the end of the street, 5 minutes, and ther are loads of taxis.

Only problem is when the traffic is stationary......

100+ is absurd obviously. Instead, have them take you to the corner of Silom and Convent Roads, for which you should get a more reasonable quote (I would hope). Then walk from there through Silom Soi 6 to Tarntawan, not very far. 

In Pattaya I have yet to see any schedule of fares, and I use taxi-bikes every day I am there.

You do get a rough feel what a fare is likely to be, give or take 20 baht, and occasionally you get quoted some outlandish fare but it is rare (twice in 17 trips in my case). 

When I hire from my hotel taxi rank I often give a small tip (fare 70 but give 80 and not ask for change, etc).

The advantages for me are transport across town when it would be impractical to get a songtaw, and also in the evenings when traffic is still so heavily congested along Beach Road and you taxi-bike just wends its way between the near stationary vehicles. 

There is a strict rotation among the motor-cy taxi drivers, as I found out on my first visit when I decided that I wanted to choose a mature rider. Having approached the oldest , he motioned to a one who was barely pubescent and had yet to learn the meaning of fear.

You have more sense than me. On my rare motor cycle taxi rides, I try to pick the cutest rider & hold on tight, having deliberately not figured out what the handle on the back is for.

Beware, many of the UK travel insurance policies sold on line do not cover you for riding on a motorcycle, unless it is driven by someone with a British motorcycle license. So there is a risk of them not paying up if your ride results in an unexpected medical bill. That's one of the reasons why my rides are rare.

I love motorcy taxis and use them often.   Being grey haired probably helps since I can't recall ride I'd consider truly hair rising. As z909 pointed out , one of advantages is opportunity  to hold tight, few times I even had drivers smiling knowingly.

Guest ryanasia

Try Grab bike or Uber. It puts an end to the bullshit right there. Not only is it cheaper but it is mildly satisfying for the bike or car to pull up and pick you up right in front of the eyes of the guy that was trying to rip you off. There are alternatives to the transport cartels these days there is no need to be preyed upon by them.

I remember years ago in Bangkok a short ride down a side soi would be 5 or 10 Baht. Now where I stay they want 50 minimum to even move. I think they were under priced before but have completely over estimated their own worth these days. Ride sharing is the end of these type of stands. The numbers of motobike taxis in the city are way down these days.

Download Grab and Uber to your phone and next time you need a ride from Babylon summon one by clicking a few buttons on your phone 5 minutes before you leave. Give a grin and a wave to the boys sitting around in the heat by the stand waiting to fleece those that don't know any better.

A bit of a rant but these days even speaking Thai sometimes doesn't help much the transport in Thailand is a huge problem. With the tiniest amount of planning you never have to use any of those people again. 

But have been scared shitless.

still better than being scared shitfull 

On more serious note in Thailand I'm never concerned about cost of transport, as is comparison to home prices is big time bargain and very rarely on vacation I put myself in position that I'm in such rush rush that I'm depriving myself choices. If I feel overcharged , I just wait another 20 seconds and other opportunity appears on horizon

The fare from the corner of Silom/Convent Road to Suan Phlu (i.e. your reverse trip) is only 20 or 30, I can double check that next time I pass. 

confirmed, the fare from that stand about 30m into Convent from the big 7/11 on the corner of Silom/Convent is 20 baht to Suan Phlu

Guest abang1961

Although I respect those who dare to take the plunge, I am a chicken.

I chicken out when an Australian wanted me to join him for a mocy ride.

I turned pale at the suggestion and he went for the ride while I walked from one end of Silom to the BTS station.

Not exactly my cup of tea for risking my life in Bangkok's wonderful traffic..

I didnt take mocy in silom either, in fact, i walked from arena all the way to dusit thani after massage. Because to get to the bts is rather nuisance with all the stairs climbing etc, might as well enjoy the walk. But i did take mocy when i go to ayutthaya. I went through 6 temple (2 of which are quite far from the island) and 1 lunch place for only 300 including tips. And i do feel my butt hurts from the ride lol i do think that a short ride on mocy very convenient especially when the traffic is bad.

At each mocy taxi station, there is a clear price table for popular destinations in Thai.

I posted about these here: http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/08/mocy-and-taxi-price-tables.html

When speaking to them in Thai, no attempts to overcharge. If you always go the same route, take a picture of the price table and ask someone to translate.

In non-touristy areas the prices are reasonable. Just yesterday in Huay Yai (10 km south of Pattaya), I went 7.0 km for 50 Baht. In Dec 2016 in Pattaya, I paid 80 Baht for 4.1 km.

I rarely go by mocy; under 2 km I can easily walk, over 2 km taxi costs about the same and is much more comfortable and safe. I use it only when there is traffic jam or in some corners in Ladprao or Ramkhamhaeng where I can go 1.2 km for 12 Baht, and that beats walking.

Guest Promsak

Nobody is forced to take a motorbike. If you don't like the fare WALK and stop complaining about the Thais , 90% of them are trying to make a living in the best way they can.

Sometimes I wish there was a ' double like' button.

I agree with every word of firecat69's post.

All great responses guys... helpful to the question at hand, and other just adding their own commentary.  i hope it was helpful to others. 

loved the links... thanks!

didnt know the windy trips are more expensive!  makes sense!

Yes similar experiences to most of the above.... walk away from the taxi stands, and the price escalates.  have to remember that. 

Have refused bikes outside of babylon, and by the time i walked up to stand, decided i will enjoy the rest of the walk home. their loss.

grab app downloaded.  uber already on phone.  

I am only using them for around sathorn and silom, or to bottom of sois, on the hottest of days.  but have burled up wireless road one busy BKK morning and as hair raising as it was... it was the quickest option by far!  

I too have a bad taste in my mouth from transport cartels/monopolies.  All started in phuket many years ago - and look at that ... have not been back in 8 years.  

The apps helps alot in this regard.   Sure i know in many cases the amounts are minute compared to back home or the cocktail i buy, but it is the one thing irks me.

Reminds me, in saignon, i complained to uber about route taken.  $2.80aud  fare reduced to $1.00

That remind me in instanbul, i complained to uber about solicitation for tours in car.... got that one free. long story. 

i could go on... we could all go on about our transport stories....