ggobkk

Seredipity - January visit - Bangkok, Pattaya, and back

I think best way to visit Royal Barges is as a part of canals tour by the rented boat.

Wat with cows   is Wat Hualampong, right where San Yam MRT stop is, short stroll from soi Twilight .

Reminder to readers into snakes that Snake farm is right across the street fro BBB Inn and there are two different shows so save your ticket and in between have a massage at BBB INN.

Considering what they serve as 'snake wine ' in Vietnam , no wonder they slander whisky with ' wine ' name . 

I'm glad you liked Senso ggobkk, yes they skin you alive with pricing but do it with certain charm.

Hope friend was as cheerful as Van himself  and if that was a case no need to complain about extortion. I kind of like when boys vouch for each other rather than trying to steer us to themselves

"Heading back to The Raya, I pass the Screwboys Karaoke...not open but now I know where it is.  Uyn's mamasan  had encouraged me to check it out.  Put it on my list (where it still is)."

Hi ggobkk, thanks for the enjoyable report! Can you (or anyone else) provide any more info' on Screwboys Karaoke? Is it in the same location as Screwboys? I assume it's open (very) late? Thanks

"Heading back to The Raya, I pass the Screwboys Karaoke...not open but now I know where it is.  Uyn's mamasan  had encouraged me to check it out.  Put it on my list (where it still is)."

Hi ggobkk, thanks for the enjoyable report! Can you (or anyone else) provide any more info' on Screwboys Karaoke? Is it in the same location as Screwboys? I assume it's open (very) late? Thanks

I'm really bad at directions, but here's a shot... leaving Scresboys, turn left and head toward Silom.  It will be on your right about 100 m from Screwboys.

Looks like a nice place to visit.  I will look for it in my next trip, maybe an occasion to visit again the National Museum and then take a stroll across the Phraya river to see the barges.  I like the glitz and ornaments, an opportunity to take some new pictures...

Yes it is. Off the beaten track and very few visitors. While only 900 m by air from National Museum, it's 1.9 km on foot.

Yes, both of them are Vietnamese as is Van.

Do you have any special relation to Vietnamese? I ask because everyone else reports negatively (that includes me with two negative encounters with Vietnamese moneyboys), except two (one who has lived in Vietnam and speaks the language, the other has a Vietnamese boyfriend who assists in choosing moneyboys - if I got that right).

Yes it is. Off the beaten track and very few visitors. While only 900 m by air from National Museum, it's 1.9 km on foot.

Do you have any special relation to Vietnamese? I ask because everyone else reports negatively (that includes me with two negative encounters with Vietnamese moneyboys), except two (one who has lived in Vietnam and speaks the language, the other has a Vietnamese boyfriend who assists in choosing moneyboys - if I got that right).

I like the "very few visitors", and  1.9 km is not bad to walk twice, easier than doing it by air at half the distance :)

The idea of a Vietnamese boy is very exciting for me since it was one of them in the US who changed me to lust and love mostly Asians. So I want to see if I find also something special in a Vietnamese moneyboy... when I get started...

Do you have any special relation to Vietnamese? .

I don't know if its a special relationship with the Vietnamese.  I do know that I have a predilection for their look.  When I offed Yoyo and he told me he was Vietnamese was when I began to wonder what it was that drew me to the Viets.  Doubly true when Uyn, who has a trimmer look, gave me his name and, hearing his name, asked if he was Vietnamese.  On the whole, my experiences have been mostly positive.  

Ggobkk. I enjoy reading your stories and wanna ask a small favor. You see, I'm from Vietnam and am visiting BKK. Your telling about Van and his friend, Uyn, really piques my interest. Is there any way I can get in touch with them (FB or Hornest would be great as I don't use LINE) since I'd like to "sample" some Vietnamese in Thailand (kinda a home away from home :) Your help is greatly appreciated and I'd like to return the favor when you have a chance to visit Hanoi.

PS. Is Uyn still working at Screw Boys rite now (and his number, please)? I'm not sure where Van's working.

Ggobkk. I enjoy reading your stories and wanna ask a small favor. You see, I'm from Vietnam and am visiting BKK. Your telling about Van and his friend, Uyn, really piques my interest. Is there any way I can get in touch with them (FB or Hornest would be great as I don't use LINE) since I'd like to "sample" some Vietnamese in Thailand (kinda a home away from home :) Your help is greatly appreciated and I'd like to return the favor when you have a chance to visit Hanoi.

PS. Is Uyn still working at Screw Boys rite now (and his number, please)? I'm not sure where Van's working.

Hanguy

Thanks for enjoying my stories.  Unfortunately, I don't pass along contact information the guys have given me unless they say it's o.k.  That noted, I can report Uyn was scheduled to be back from Tet festivities and back at Screwboys.  #40 was his when I was there.  Van has moved backed to Thailand for a job.

The Forum expert on Vietnam boys is PaulSF.  He is in Bangkok now and should be there for the next couple of months.  You might PM him for more current information and a possible meet up.

I'll remember your invitation to meet in Hanoi. 

Just like to add: Paul know how to approach those Viet cuties and get them to open up to him (and I think it works from the cultural aspect based on what I know about Vietnamese culture). He should open a workshop on how to get along with Viet boys :)

Also, I didn't tell any boys I met last nite in Fresh Boys about this forum. As I learned from my conversations with them, they also talk to each other a lot about their customers (like who likes to do what in bed or how much one would pay etc.), and they even share this info with me, a total stranger. So it's only fair that we have something on them too ;)

ggopbkk wrote:

"Try to imagine what the restaurant, which is a bit of a hole in the wall den,  was like during the Vietnam war era when the Madrid was a CIA meeting spot."

------------------

I try to stop for pizza there once a trip and, like you, wonder what the characters sitting at those tables nearly 50 years looked like.  Stickman wrote about the place once and I remember it being mentioned in a book whose title I can no longer recall.

Truly great reports, please keep them coming!

Wake up...it's about 7.  Think a bit about yesterday, the frustration with how long it took to get to Pattaya, the out of service internet, etc.  Make notes about what went wrong, realize that I'd wanted to visit the tailor Numazu mentioned, but couldn't pull up the details on my phone or iPad without wifi.  Grumble, grumble...then I made notes about what went right: the Poseidon, it's restaurant, it's staff, my room (those steps get easier and easier and are probably good for my hamstrings).  Cee when I brought him to the room was impressed...probably  more by the hot tub.  Cee is also on the list of what went right.  Gentle meeting of two mature guys.

I go downstairs and learn from Kaye that the restaurant doesn't open until 9!  Realization dawns that this is a beach resort, no one needs to get up early in an area where the nights are designed to be late.  Go for a walk to the beach.  Have to make a decision about tomorrow - it will be Chinese New Year's eve.  I've made a booking at the Copa in Boyztown.  Figured (when I was back in the US) that I'd be closer to / right on top of the action if I was at the Copa...but i sure like where I am.

Decide that as part of my tour today, there will be a Boyztown stop so I can check out the Copa.  I've already asked the Poseidon if I can extend, so I need to decide within the Copa cancellation period what to do.

It's now nine o'clock and I have the eggs and bacon with a basket of pastries.  Orange juice and tea complete the repast.

Go back up to the room to grab my phone for possible photos (I've been catching up on Numazu's and Vinapu's  reports, both of which have photos.  Maybe I'll take some today.

I've no idea where we are going.  I booked with SiamRoads (thanks, Moses).  Best is to be my guide and Moses reminds me that he is a new guide.  Best, who arrives right on the dot of the agreed 10 am time, also tells me that I am only his second tour.

He didn't quite believe me when I told him on the phone that the tour today was up to him.  I said, I know little about Pattaya and only about more about Jomtien.  He makes some suggestions, I say "up to you".  It's fun for me saying the same thing I tend to hear from the boys.  I mention that I need to check out the Copa but other than that I just want to be a tourist.

He checks if I'd prefer a taxi or a car.  We settle on a car and he makes the arrangements.  We head off for our first destiniation which turns out to be the Sanctuary of Truth.  Figure that's a good place to be at a time where the US President is in a world of alternative facts.

I didn't know what to expect, so when we arrived and the driver parked and we began walking though some pretty dull flat open space, I wan't very hopeful.  Then we turned a corner and from the top of a hill saw   

post-15872-0-71167500-1486906258_thumb.jpg

It's Friday morning in Pattaya.  It's also the last day of the Year of the Monkey for those who use lunar calendars.  That means tonight will be New Year's eve in a town filled with Chinese tourists, judging by the crowds at  yesterday's elephant show.

Nothing booked in advance for today.  Breakfast on the Poseidon's terrace where I can watch the street wake up.  Then to Dongtan Beach, then...  Tonight there is an owner's reception here at the hotel for the guests.  After that my brain has penciled in dinner and then the baht bus to Boyztown.

Well the beach part went according to plan.  I am  not a big sun worshipper.  My ancestors all are Northern Europeans who live in cloudy and rainy places with little sunshine.  (Scotland/UK border area, Ireland, and Sweden).  In point of fact I attract sunburn.  But this is not a problem at Dongtan as the seating sections have plenty of umbrellas.  I go to the section beyond the restrooms.  I was introduced to this "camp" ground by Ya of Siamroads last fall.  Lounge chair in the shade, internet available, though I didn't bring phone or iPad.  Cool drink and time to watch the crowds pass by.  This section is gay friendly and welcoming to others.  Usual vendors, massage options (feet, shoulders, whole body).  Decide a whole body massage is a good idea...find a cute "therapist" and I punk down on the sand.  Relaxing, no special effects as this is very public.

Back to my shady spot, a watermelon drink of some sort, more people watching.  It's amazing how much male flesh can be stuffed into a minuscule  bikini suit.  The overhang is larger than the suit.  Then there is the tall and lanky male model type who is the direct opposite...cheers to both guys as it takes all types to make up the world.  

After about 4 hours, I head back to the hotel, stopping at Tinnie's for a sandwich.  Realize I should have some extra BHT for New Year's eve so find an ATM and thicken my wallet.

Back at the hotel, after a shower, I check the news from home.  The Posiedon channel list includes the BBC and CNN but only gets Fox in the English category.  I pull in what I want on my iPad.  Donald Trump is still President.  

Realize the room hasn't been made up, mention it at the desk as I go to the tailor, Siam Next Fashion, for my fitting.  The sample shirt is fine, though I suggest that it seems full in the body.  The tailor politely and diplomatically notes that I am also a bit full in the body.  Problem with material for one of the pairs of pants - no longer available.  I choose another material/color and try on the sample pair that's been made up.  Needs a tweak here and there and it will be good to go.  The guys who work there are good salesmen, the workmanship seems above average, so I look at some more shirting material and...when I leave the shop will have added a pair of corduroy pants and 6 more shirts to my buying spree.  ( 9 shirts and 3 pairs of pants will cost 6400 THB).  

Back to the hotel, my room has been cleaned and serviced, down to the bar have a drink with another guest.  Debate with myself if I really want to go to Boyztown tonight as Jomtien Complex has worked well so far.  Go to the hotel restaurant for dinner.  Dining room is still being set up, decide that's a sign (from whom I don't know) and will  to eat in/near Boyztown and then catch the BoyzBoyzBoyz parade at 9 and the show and then check out some of the other bars that have been mentioned in the forum.  Anticipate finding someone to wish a Happy Rooster New Year.

On the baht bus I see a huge line up of tourist buses...count 18 lines up on one side of the road and at least 12 on the other. Similar to how the elephants paraded yesterday.

Get off the bus at the stop light near Boyztown, cross the street and start looking for some food...nothing I see has any great appeal (I think about what I'm missing back at the hotel)  Walk around the Boyztown area.  It's 7:30 and so things are pretty quiet.  Surprised that while the BoyzBoyzBoyz (BBB) parade is at 9, the show isn't until 10:30.  How will I fill in the time?  (Silly me, I definitely will)

Oscar's had the greatest concentration of bar boys and they are happy to tell me that they have food (from another restaurant).  There is a seat available in the front row directly across from the BBB gym.  There seems to be a rotation of boys sitting next to me, the food comes and I invite Pik to seat and have a drink.  I'm having a canned Lipton tea (100 THB), he has a hot tea (150 THB)  I guess heating the water and cleaning the tea pot and cup is the reason for the additional 50 THB)...LOL.

Pik and I observe the differing types coming through the soi and returning again and again, an Asian couple (male/female), a western couple (m/m), a scraggly bearded "prophet type" seeming to want to call down angels to clean up sin, a guy with edema enlarges legs struggles by, falls, and the bar boys help him up, others join me in the seats at Oscar's and both Copa and Panorama begin to fill.  My meal comes (o.k....but...), a couple of BBB boys are now using the gym.  This was a good place to sit...feeling good and double up on the tea.

post-15872-0-97729100-1487173868_thumb.jpg

In September when I first visited Boyztown, I sat with Van and Ya at the Castro bar to experience the sites and sounds.  There was one shirtless boy at a table finishing his food.  He was wearing glasses - which maybe drew my attention  to him.  Don't see him among the boys circulating prior to the parade.  In the back on my mind, I think there was the thought that he might still be working here.  

I thought about offing him last fall, even though I was with Van - he was on stage when we were seated, and before we even ordered out drinks he was off'd.  By that I mean he was called from the stage by a mamasan, went into the audience, came back in a few minutes but now without his letter badge.  I remember he had a letter and not a number. 

Maybe he'll be inside. If he is, I need to move faster as he was a 10 out of 10 on my scale. I look around at the decorations for the Lunar New Year'  There is an ancestor table on the soi between the Ambiance and BBB.  It is gradually disassembled as the crowds grow.  Decorations are mainly red lanterns.

post-15872-0-41250200-1487174382_thumb.jpg

Just after 9 the music revs up and the parade begins...

post-15872-0-13487300-1487174498_thumb.jpg

Fun...wait a minute, I think that's the guy I remember...

ChristianPFC has posted some great photos of the Royal Barge Museum on his blog http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/  Worth a look.

we can always count on him to find interesting places for us to visit and to give an instructions how to get there.

Great pictures from BBB parade , thank you . Couple familiar faces and backs included  :p