williewillie

Winner Boys in Sunee Plaza opening February 18th

Going to head to pattaya in march and check this place out.

As for calling someone an asshole because they were smoking when the bar allows it and provides ashtrays.. well.. thats a bit extreme... If a place allows it, I to am happy to light up. If not, in bars like Cupido I am just as happy to step outside for a few minutes.

The point I think is that legally the Bar cannot allow it although there seems to be no enforcement. Customers who don't want to suffer the pollution of others have every right to ask that the law is enforced. They just need to be aware that Bars suffer no losses as far as fines. And most Bar owners don't realize that there are many who will not suffer this pollution and thus never come to their establishment.

As for smoking, I think the bar allows smoking and they would provide ashtrays if asked. I know many do not like smoking. I do smoke and if a premise allows smoking, I will light up.

Smoking is illegal in bars,what else is there to say? Why bars provide ashtrays is beyond me. It would be so simple for someone to step outside and light up but no, they prefer to stink up the place and annoy everyone else.

Smokers just can't realize how offensive it is to others.

It would be interesting to hear from those who light up in Bars about whether they are allowed to do that in their own country.

Lived in Montreal for 6 years and there were screams when no smoking laws would be passed . I still remember every one of the strip bars crying that it would ruin their business.

Guess what , it was enforced and it did not hurt their business one bit. Customers and dancers went outside which in winter meant they probably extended their lives somewhat because they did not want to freeze and thus they did not smoke at all.

There are some countries where you are not even allowed to smoke outdoors except in designated areas.  Sounds like a good idea to me! :good:

It's a bit funny that people point out that smoking in bars is illegal. It sure is, yes, just like many other things. If you ever go to any bar or nightclub where almost exclusively Thais hang out, you are in for a shock: There will be smoking. There will be underage drinking. And all the drunks won't think twice about driving/riding into the night once they're done... That's at least three illegalities right there.

Please don't call for law enforcement, that's nonsensical considering the context. The only thing that can lead to a change is making that particular bar owner realize that he's better off not allowing his guests to smoke. If he sees that differently, just go elsewhere.

(I don't smoke, for the record.)

I for one also dont smoke and dont like the smell of smoke. Its not just unpleasant to me but it irritates my nose and throats. Many restaurant in my country have smoking and non smoking sections, i wonder if the bars can do that as well. I wont go as far as telling off people who smoke near me, id simply cough like my lungs is his and move away. Similar response when someone who just pooped his pants walking near me. Run lola run. That being said, i have utmost respect for smokers who are considerate, smoking outside and away from others. Smoking is an addiction, which is a disease, might start by choice but not quitting isnt always a choice.

It's a bit funny that people point out that smoking in bars is illegal. It sure is, yes, just like many other things. If you ever go to any bar or nightclub where almost exclusively Thais hang out, you are in for a shock: There will be smoking. There will be underage drinking. And all the drunks won't think twice about driving/riding into the night once they're done... That's at least three illegalities right there.

Please don't call for law enforcement, that's nonsensical considering the context. The only thing that can lead to a change is making that particular bar owner realize that he's better off not allowing his guests to smoke. If he sees that differently, just go elsewhere.

(I don't smoke, for the record.)

Sorry don't agree. Many countries have successfully restricted smoking in public places and smokers learned to live with it.

Just like MADD successfully reduced drunks from driving and thus the number of people killed by drunk drivers.

Just because Thailand may be late coming to the party especially in regards to enforcement is no reason not to hope for the success of a certain law.  I know of a number of members here who will not go to certain bars because they allow smokers to pollute the environment .  Those bar owners likely have no idea that there are customers who don't come inside because of smoking.  Do you really think anyone does not go into a bar because it refuses to allow smoking.

Of course not since most stays in a GoGo Bar are fairly short they can easily wait until they leave to light up.  The Bar that restricts smoking I would guess loses no customers if they have cute boys.  

But I am sure bars who allow the pollution do lose customers because they know that Bar does not enforce the Law and thus they never enter.  A number of members here certainly fit that description.

I don't think banning smoking would be a bad thing, I just don't think it will happen. Not that many laws in Thailand are actually being enforced consistently, and if that would change at some point, I just don't think that the powers that be would start with the smoking ban.

Drunk driving is a good example for insufficient law enforcement; just look at how all the crackdowns in Thailand so far have failed miserably. MADD wouldn't work in Thailand, there's simply no sustained activism in that sense. Persistence would be key to success.

In a way, the smoking/non smoking issue has somewhat sidetracked the merits of Winner Bar.

I was there tonight and did enjoy the (smokeless) atmosphere and the inexpensive drinks which, as a result meant more tips for the boyz on stage. I do enjoy the boyz dancing and not just standing there like mannequins and they do appreciate some tips in their briefs.

It will be up to the owner (who I fear is a smoker) to decide which direction he wishes to go or maybe he doesn't care???

I quit smoking at tender age of 11 / yes , eleven / but when comes to smoking in bars I tend to have a liberal approach - it's up to establishment and it's owner to decide if smoking is toleraled or not. They should know better what makes business sense.

As long as door are open I always fee free to leave if smoking bothers me or stay if it does but view of boys on stage is offsetting that unpleasant aroma. With dozen of bars available I feel I always have a choice. 

Whether or not it's legal to smoke in bars is immaterial but it is certainly antisocial and inconsiderate of these self centered individuals who think it's OK to subject others in the bar to the vile stench and poison which is discharged into the atmosphere by their vile habit. Just my opinion.

I was there tonight as well (20th) and as soon as I arrived I asked for a drink and an ashtray but I did not light up.

I suspect I saw Kokopelli as a gentleman was pointing to my ashtray and talking to his friends (cohort) about something relating to smoking (or ashtrays). I could be wrong though LOL.

Agreed that we should not sidetrack the thread into a debate on smoking or not (no pun intended) and I wish the bar every success.

I will say again. 
I ALWAYS ask if I can smoke inside or if I need to go outside. It is up the the establishment. I am happy either way. 
I will ALWAYS blow my smoke away from other people even if I am with a friend who also smokes. That is polite. 

What I will say is.... If I am a customer in a bar and the bar said I can smoke and provide me with an ashtray. I will smoke. 
And if one of you want to question me on it, I will blow the smoke in your face, tell you where to go, and instead of having a quick few puffs and putting it out I will chain smoke and make you suffer. 

If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Don't blame the customer, BLAME THE BAR FOR ALLOWING IT. Some of my favourite bars do not allow it. So I step outside. 

To look at it another way, do you arrest the guy taking crack? Or the dealer who gave it him? 

I think you are all mature enough on this board to realise you are not in America or Europe. 

----

I just wan't to add one more important thing. If you are in Pattays (Boyztown, Jomtien, Sunee) or BKK (Twilight)...
These WHOLE STREETS/SOIS  ARE ILLEGAL. Prostitution, gogo bars, are illegal. They exist because of payoffs of the police and officials. 

To the guy who wants to call the police, go for it. Your more likely to spent time in a Thai prison than the guy smoking. 

If you think Thailand is bad... go to Hanoi, HCMC. Lou, Cambodia... Get a grip gentleman. If you want a western life, stay in the fucking WEST. 

I for one moved out here to get away from your bullshit.

What I will say is.... If I am a customer in a bar and the bar said I can smoke and provide me with an ashtray. I will smoke. 

And if one of you want to question me on it, I will blow the smoke in your face, tell you where to go, and instead of having a quick few puffs and putting it out I will chain smoke and make you suffer. 

What an impressive admission of anti-social behavior !

As for chain smoking and suffering  consult  doctor or pharmacist :spiteful:   

In my long gone student years when we were hiking with tents and non-smoking rules were only in early  phases of gestation we developed very liberal rule as to permit smoking inside of tent - if smoking was permitted so was farting. Very few  brave sols dared to test it but good laugh was had by all.

I was there tonight as well (20th) and as soon as I arrived I asked for a drink and an ashtray but I did not light up.

I suspect I saw Kokopelli as a gentleman was pointing to my ashtray and talking to his friends (cohort) about something relating to smoking (or ashtrays). I could be wrong though LOL.

Agreed that we should not sidetrack the thread into a debate on smoking or not (no pun intended) and I wish the bar every success.

No, that was not me.

As for smoking, the situation is that smoking drives customers away which is not good business for the bar.

In my long gone student years when we were hiking with tents and non-smoking rules were only in early phases of gestation we developed very liberal rule as to permit smoking inside of tent - if smoking was permitted so was farting. Very few brave sols dared to test it but good laugh was had by all.

At least farting isn't carcinogen nor dangerous to your health. And the smells doesnt lingers forever. But try having a dog poop in the tent instead. Lol

If a load of people where farting I would move away. In fact I have been in a boy bar and had to do so. The guy was so old he probably shat himself in the process and had no control over it. Did I berate him? Insult him? Nope. I moved.

This opinion that people should alter their behaivor to please you is retarded.

Next time move to another table. Or talk to the owner. Do not blame a customer for doing what they are allowed to do in an establishment you chose to enter.

If a bar smelt like farts I would choose another bar. Go figure.

And yes I dare any of you to question me on my smoking if you see me in a bar. As said before, if you do I will make sure all my second hand smoke finds it to your face.