forrestreid

Lawrence Osborne on Bangkok in the NY Times

Osborne wrote a whole book about an earlier period he spent  living in in Bangkok, called "Bangkok Days", which is worth a look if you like style of writing in the article.

I read the book and didn't like it. http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2016/04/books-about-bangkok-history-and.html

Bangkok Days (Lawrence Osborne)

"Far more than a travel book, Bangkok Days explores both a little-know, extraordinary city..." 

I was hoping to find information that might be of use to me, but I didn't.

I didn't like the style it is written in, but a friend who used to teach English literature likes it. But even my friend admitted it contained several errors.

p144 "the world's longest road" referring to Sukhumvit

(Sukhumvit at 488 km isn't even Thailand's longest road; that would be Phetkasem at 1,274 km)

p160 "like magnetic disturbances that alter a few molecules deep inside your liver" Only someone who has no idea about physics or biology can write such nonsense.

p214 "The sky has a neon tinge here, soft and elastic." It's grammatically correct, but makes no sense to me.

p260 Loha Prasat "and it was one of the three "metal palaces" in Buddhist lands (the other two, by legend, were in India)." one in India, one in Sri Lanka

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Ratchanatdaram

I shudder at the thought how many more errors, in areas I am not knowledgeable, this book contains.

If anyone is interested, I can sell the book for 80 Baht (half the price I paid), and even that would be 80 Baht more than I think it's worth.

That offer still stands.

Oh, Christian, you are such a fact-obsessed person, you would put Gradgrind to shame!

I am sure there is no shortage of small factual errors in the Osborne book, I wouldn't dispute it, but what he was trying to get at was the SOUL of Bangkok. It has to be read and appreciated with that in mind.

[flicks hair and sighs theatrically]

But it takes all types to make the World, I suppose (I can be the most nerdy guy going sometimes myself, particularly when it comes to transport networks), so here is a web page that is more likely to gladden your heart:

http://www.nomadicnotes.com/southeast-asia-rail-map/

It is a map created of all the railways that are proposed currently in South-East Asia, and what the network will  look like after they are built (in the unlikely event they ARE all built).

Cool to look at at think about the day when you get get a train all the way from Yangon to Saigon, via Bangkok...

The rest of the website, about travel generally and Vietnamese travel in particular, is well worth a browse too.

Which book like that do you recommend?

I liked 22 Walks in Bankgok, Bangkok found and Mysterious Bangkok much better. Details here:

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2016/04/books-about-bangkok-history-and.html

But it takes all types to make the World, I suppose (I can be the most nerdy guy going sometimes myself, particularly when it comes to transport networks), so here is a web page that is more likely to gladden your heart:

http://www.nomadicnotes.com/southeast-asia-rail-map/

It is a map created of all the railways that are proposed currently in South-East Asia, and what the network will  look like after they are built (in the unlikely event they ARE all built).

That indeed is a well-researched and presented article.

I finally read "My Bangkok - City of Spirits" and it's not much better than the book. Similar inaccuracies as in the book, and I don't like the writing style. Hadn't it been a subject I'm interested, I wouldn't have read to the end.

Guest whall

I bet you could put out an interesting book! You have a fantastic start with your blog. At least a self published e-book. You ever think of it?

I'm thinking about writing a book

"The public transport in Thailand.

Volume 1: Bangkok Volume 2: Provinces

by Dr. ChristianPFC"

but that's probably not what you had in mind.

Well, I'm just reading a book about gay life in south-east Asian and found myself thinking "Boring. I could do better.".

I'm thinking about writing a book

"The public transport in Thailand.

Volume 1: Bangkok Volume 2: Provinces

by Dr. ChristianPFC"

but that's probably not what you had in mind.

Well, I'm just reading a book about gay life in south-east Asian and found myself thinking "Boring. I could do better.".

I  am sure you could and wish you would.  I know I would enjoy reading it.  Just don't make it about your relationships with Thai boys---talk about errors. :rolleyes:

Cool to look at at think about the day when you get get a train all the way from Yangon to Saigon, via Bangkok...

There will be advantages & disadvantages from the extended rail network.  

Ease of travel will be a clear advantage.

Loss of character & more Chinese tourists are potential disadvantages.

I've always enjoyed reading what Osborne has written. And I like his take on Bangkok, although or maybe just because it's quite different from mine. The man is often drunk, so I'm more than willing to forgive him the occasional error here and there.

This could have been a very cool, atmospheric article, yet in my view it fails to accomplish that. I, too, read the Book "Bangkok Days" and have to agree with Christian in not having liked it. Not for the factual errors which I neither noticed nor would have cared about, but for failing to achieve what forrestreid said the purpose was: "what he was trying to get at was the SOUL of Bangkok". The fictional series "Bangkok Eight" by John Burdett (5 books) does a WAY better job at that. 

Both the book and the article are incoherent gibberish that pretends to try to capture soul and atmosphere by overusing weird adjectives. There is no theme, no story, no leitmotiv, no nothing. Thus, both left me wondering: what, exactly, is it that he wants to tell me here? The article fares slightly better in the second half, but still I fail to see the point. 

But thanks to forrestreid for sharing anyway!

that's true too, but guess I am not the right audience for that, then ;) 

Again, I personally liked the John Burdett series, as well as the "22 Walks in Bangkok" already mentioned by Christian, excellent book and highly recommended. It's not simply sight-seeing walks like in a travel guide as you might expect from the title, but gives in-depth background to context and history of buildings and entire neighborhoods. Highly informative and yet not boring at all.

You're definitely on to something there, Christian.

From CNBC

Warren Buffett is the third richest man in the world, with an estimated net worth of $75 billion. But the Oracle of Omaha still values a good deal.

In Bill and Melinda Gates' 2017 annual letter, which they addressed to longtime friend Buffett, Bill tells the story of a particularly economical lunch Buffett took him out for years ago.

"Remember the laugh we had when we traveled together to Hong Kong and decided to get lunch at McDonald's? You offered to pay, dug into your pocket, and pulled out … coupons!" writes Bill.

Buffett is a regular at McDonald's. On his five-minute drive to the office, which he's been doing for the past 54 years, he stops by the fast-food chain and, depending on how prosperous he's feeling, orders one of three items: two sausage patties for $2.61, a sausage, egg and cheese for $2.95 or a bacon, egg and cheese for $3.17.

He's not just thrifty when it comes to meals. The billionaire lives in the same home he bought in 1958 for $31,500, or about $260,000 in today's dollars.

Buffett is perfectly content being cheap. "My life couldn't be happier," he explained at his annual shareholder's meeting in 2014. "In fact, it'd be worse if I had six or eight houses. So, I have everything I need to have, and I don't need any more."

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/17/warren-buffett-once-paid-for-bill-gates-mcdonalds-meal-with-coupons.html

Another book I might write: "How I got rich from taking toilet paper from hotel rooms and picking up paper clips from the floor".

that would be pure fiction

Buffett is perfectly content being cheap.

Eating at McDonald's not necessarily means he is cheap, perhaps simply he likes their fare.

Even extremely rich people are not under obligation to prefer 50 y.o single malt whisky over Hong Thong one from 7/11 bought for 139 baht

that would be pure fiction

Eating at McDonald's not necessarily means he is cheap, perhaps simply he likes their fare.

Even extremely rich people are not under obligation to prefer 50 y.o single malt whisky over Hong Thong one from 7/11 bought for 139 baht

Fiction maybe, but it would still sell.

McDonald's prices are on rise worldwide, but that won't discourage Buffett. He's bragged about his preference for it for years along with Diet Coke (CC is one of Berkshire's largest holdings).

Used Hong Thong as a mixer once and never again.  Headache the next day was stuff of legend.

Used Hong Thong as a mixer once and never again.  Headache the next day was stuff of legend.

quite a few of my regulars know i always have it handy and are not shy to ask for a shot or two, never any problems myslef nor my boys but secret is I always drink it straight and chase with few drops of water or tea , never with anything  with sugary content like coke or other cancerogenic stuff. 

If anybody liked Osborne's style he had an article in the Guardian last week on Bangkok.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/feb/03/bangkok-thailand-street-food-ban-lawrence-osbourne-blade-runner

Covered much the same ground as his NY Times article, but in fairness he didnt recycle everything.

I enjoyed it anyway.

Dont know why I like Osborne's style so much, mostly I think it is because we both feel a nostalgia for the more disorganised old Bangkok that seems to be disappearing, such a street food and seamy bars.

• Members

I read Bangkok Days yesterday and didn't like it very much. He writes about places that are off the beaten path, where they deserve to be because they are not interesting. He meanders all over the place. When he actually focuses, as in his trip to Hua Hin, he is interesting.

So I went to Amazon to write my review and found that I had already reviewed the book 12 years ago! My opinion was almost exactly the same. Interesting that in reading it this week I remembered nothing from the first read. So, a forgettable book!

Much more informative for those who have actually visited Bangkok or stil live here is Alex Kerr's Bangkok Found. It delves under the surface to explose more of the city's background, historical and architectural influences as well as its culture and all the influences which have shaped that culture. There's even a section on nightlife - although this has obviously changed somewhat since the first edition was published in 2010.

Bangkok_Found1.thumb.jpg.4cc907c6cc104fb960e61da7e97e0971.jpg