forrestreid

Lawrence Osborne on Bangkok in the NY Times

• Members
On 3/22/2017 at 11:01 PM, anddy said:

that's true too, but guess I am not the right audience for that, then ;) 

Again, I personally liked the John Burdett series, as well as the "22 Walks in Bangkok" already mentioned by Christian, excellent book and highly recommended. It's not simply sight-seeing walks like in a travel guide as you might expect from the title, but gives in-depth background to context and history of buildings and entire neighborhoods. Highly informative and yet not boring at all.

I could not agree with you more. They're great books and got me to come to Thailand to live.:4002-navysalute:

15 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Much more informative for those who have actually visited Bangkok or stil live here is Alex Kerr's Bangkok Found. It delves under the surface to explose more of the city's background, historical and architectural influences as well as its culture and all the influences which have shaped that culture. There's even a section on nightlife - although this has obviously changed somewhat since the first edition was published in 2010.

Bangkok_Found1.thumb.jpg.4cc907c6cc104fb960e61da7e97e0971.jpg 

I concur with the assessment of PeterRS.

We might not see eye to eye on international relations, but we can agree that Alex Kerr wrote a fine account of Bangkok!