numazu

Songkran 2017 Crowdsourcing: What to do

So my April trip may be my last to Thailand for a while, at least this year. This will be the third year in a row I will be in town for Songkran. I am unsure of how subdued the celebration in Thailand will be, considering the ongoing mourning period for the King, so I am a little bit concerned. As I look outside of Thailand, I got some tempting offers from Cambodia Boy to spend their version of Songkran in Phnom Penh, and from TallBurGuy, to spend a Burmese Songkran in Mandalay. But considering that I will need to spend time with BurBoy for (possibly) the last time, that week, I will need to spend Songkran in Bangkok. 

So here I am crowdsourcing for advice. I'd like to pose a few questions for you guys who are currently there, or have knowledge about that's going on, over Songkran. I'm one of those people who actually like to partake in the festivities and shenanigans, so valuable info would be greatly appreciated to ensure my maximum enjoyment:

1. What are the actual dates for the water festival part of Songkran? I know that officially the dates are April 13-15, but last year, the festival was cut short to only the first two days. Me and my friends went out on the third day ready with our water guns (and waterproof lanyards and goggles), only to find Silom open again to traffic, and water fights have ceased.

2. Is Songkran this year more subdued? Will more Thais simply not partake in it because of the mourning, even if it will be business as usual? Will I only be in water gun fights with tourists and gay boys in town for the circuit party? Will Khao San Rd be better this year than Silom?

3. Will the Songkran GCircuit party be more subdued this year? I am not seeing a lot of advertising for the circuit party, compared to last year. This worries me a little bit. Last year was amazing. I am hoping this year will be also as amazing, as a sort of last hurrah for me and BurBoy.

4. Any forum members in town for Sonkgran week? Maybe a meetup?

Thanks guys!

A Blurry McObscureface photo of Soi Twilight on Songkran last year. Hopefully it doesn't get me in trouble. Its innocent enough (I think):

post-16149-0-08675500-1489934525_thumb.jpg

Silom Soi 4 was a madhouse:

post-16149-0-15811900-1489935099_thumb.png

Songkran Circuit pool parties were super sexy. None of these are prostitutes, just partygoers. And they were posing for everyone:

post-16149-0-86634700-1489935152_thumb.jpg

My  lovely activity at Songkran is: we with Thai friends renting car (like tuk-tuk but without roof), putting there huge (around 1 cubic meter) plastic box filled by water with ice and riding by Pattaya while sitting or staying near that box and playing waterfights with other such teams :) then at evening spending time in NAB or other "same-same" clubs. As per my taste Bangkok is very crowded and boring that time.

I don't think Songkran will be particularly subdued and I'd expect April 13th to 15th to be the main dates in Bangkok, as always. The last day tends to be the least crazy one, as (some) people will be exhausted / hung over / penniless by then. I've usually had enough after two days myself.

The last day tends to be the least crazy one, as (some) people will be exhausted / hung over / penniless by then. I've usually had enough after two days myself.

And some people will be dead! The stupid Songkran madness kills hundreds every year last year was particularly bad with 442 deaths and 3447 accidents.

I have only ever had a problem with violence in Thailand once an unprovoked attack by a drunken Farang who thought I shouldn't object to having a bucket of water thrown over me as I entered a restaurant for dinner.

I will never spend time in Thailand during Songkran or recommend anyone try it.

BTW the madness runs from 11 April to 19 April in Pattaya.

1. What are the actual dates for the water festival part of Songkran? I know that officially the dates are April 13-15, but last year, the festival was cut short to only the first two days. Me and my friends went out on the third day ready with our water guns (and waterproof lanyards and goggles), only to find Silom open again to traffic, and water fights have ceased.

As other have posted the official days in Bkk are 13-15

The official days in pattaya are the 18 & 19th

North Pattaya Celebrates Wan Lai on the 18th and it becomes a mini Silom all day no.18. Pattaya itself plus Jomtien celebrate on the 19th and most traffic is practically at a standstill.

Of course there is water play all the way from 12-19 in Pattaya, mostly on Soi Buakow and beach road near Soi's 6/7/8 + parts of Jomtien. But its sporadic and tends to keep to day time hours (the songkran haters will claim it goes 24/7 - but it doesn't!)

Whilst North Pattaya has a heavily German and Scandinavian population... it also draws the Gay boys in the afternoon of the 18th. Choose from one of the many bars along the strip and buy a few beers there. You can then use their water as long as you keep drinking... And of course meet the gay boys as they stroll past!

(note that some of the real German bars are not welcoming of anyone but Germans, and are pretty vocal in telling you to clear out!)

In the evening of 18 there is always an Issan Concert/Morlam on 3rd road, and it's always jammed. Unlike normal Morlams, this one often turns into a Water & powder fight as the night goes on. Given the April heat, the cool water is very welcome! 

NAB usually has a foam party on the night of the 17th/18th too - but closes on the 19th.

The night of the 18th walking st is normally a 24 hour water fight. Just watch out for the Russian hookers - who don't like to get wet! 

All day no.19 is usually madness all over pattaya, in previous years crowds tended to gravitate towards Jomtien, but recently they gravitate towards Central instead. Jomtien Complex usually puts on a stage and foam party at its main entrance.

A recent phenomenon is that songkran now extends after sunset on the 19th... It used to be that it would end pretty sharply at sunset (with a rain shower!) and everyone would go home to bed. Nowadays the party goes on and last year I was at a very busy "wet 'n' Wild'" party in Tiffany car park, followed by further mayhem in Tum Nan Issan (where thankfully the AC was off!) until 4am

23 days until i fly - can't wait!

an unprovoked attack by a drunken Farang who thought I shouldn't object to having a bucket of water thrown over me as I entered a restaurant for dinner.

What time was this at and where did it happen?

Yes some farang get a bit carried away with Songkran (especially the Arabs in recent years) which is a real pity. So the real advice here should be:

-If you don't like songkran, get the hell out of Thailand for that week!

- And don't complain if you get wet if you stick around

If you like it come and enjoy

- But please bear in mind that the water play should stop after 7 (on all but the 18th)

What time was this at and where did it happen?

It happened at 8.00pm on Second Road as I was entering a small Italian Restaurant quite close to the Tim GoGo Bar (restaurant long since gone) this was maybe 1995/1996 at the time the etiquette was that the water fights stopped around 6.00pm.

This is not an isolated incident although I have never been in Thailand during Songkran since then I have reports that the drunken lunacy has gotten worse since then and many of my ex-pat friends exit Thailand and head for Philippines or Singapore.

Drunken idiots and water super soakers do not make for an enjoyable experience IMO

I've talked to many of the bar boys the last couple of weeks and they are excitedly waiting for it. I think the populace is ready to go, but it's the Government that has the last say. So I think it's still a time will tell, but I'm thinking it's going to be mostly ok.

I've only been once a few years ago, but decided to extend my trip to stay this year.

I will never spend time in Thailand during Songkran or recommend anyone try it.

BTW the madness runs from 11 April to 19 April in Pattaya.

Haha. Well Songkran is clearly not for everyone. I've had a lot of fun over the past two Songkrans I've spent in Bangkok. I was able to enjoy it in Pattaya as well in 2015. And I was able to drag my friends and BF to the one last year and we all had an amazing time. And we've made quite a few friends from around the world who came here just for Songkran. Some even still had the water guns they have bought from previous years, to take with them every year. I guess the adage "One man's trash is another man's treasure" still rings true. 

Last Songkran we (BF and other Farang friends) went for dinner at 9 PM at one of the Sky Bar restaurants, and on our way we were all doused with water and were soaking wet by the time we got to our restaurant. The staff of course expected this, and had some towels for us to dry ourselves before we sat down. We weren't mad that we got wet, and it was a funny story to tell our other friends after that. By dessert we were all dry and ready to continue with drinks at the SkyBar part of the restaurant. I find it fun and cool that this part of the world has this tradition every year. Whenever I show my photos to my coworkers and friends, they always say how fun it all looks. And it is fun, and that's why I have gone the past two years, and why I will be there for the 2017 edition.

My first Songkran last year - really enjoyed it though the ice water comes as a bit of a shock when it hits you.  Wandered all over Silom and one of the better (but wetter) Sois was the one in which Tawan Club and Sun Massage are located - nothing more eye catching than a drenched young man in a clingy t-shirt.

My man bought me a colourful t shirt and shorts for the occasion - still can see all the dye coming out of that shirt when I wrung it out in the Tantawarn Hotel bathroom.

Returning this year but will be in Chiang Mai and hopefully will get out to a smaller village to see how Songkran is celebrated there.

The first photo with the blurred faces reminds me of a scene in the movie Amadeus. The Emperor has banned ballet in his operas for some odd reason I can't recall. He then accompanies his snooty music advisors to a rehearsal of one of Mozart's operas. There are dancers prancing around on stage without music, as it has been banned. The Emperor turns to one of the advisors: "Do you like this?" The response: "but you ordered it, your majesty" to which the Emperor bursts out: "But they look ridiculous!"

Exactly.

My first Songkran last year - really enjoyed it though the ice water comes as a bit of a shock when it hits you.  Wandered all over Silom and one of the better (but wetter) Sois was the one in which Tawan Club and Sun Massage are located - nothing more eye catching than a drenched young man in a clingy t-shirt.

Haha yes, thank you for reminding me about the ice water. It is a shock to the skin when it hits you, but you get used to it and I even managed to get some ice put in my water tank for my water gun as well. Thanks for the tip about going to Soi Tantawan on Songkran. I'll check that out next time. So many hot boys that time of year.

The first photo with the blurred faces reminds me of a scene in the movie Amadeus. The Emperor has banned ballet in his operas for some odd reason I can't recall. He then accompanies his snooty music advisors to a rehearsal of one of Mozart's operas. There are dancers prancing around on stage without music, as it has been banned. The Emperor turns to one of the advisors: "Do you like this?" The response: "but you ordered it, your majesty" to which the Emperor bursts out: "But they look ridiculous!"

Exactly.

LOL. Thanks for the laugh faranglaw. The whole saga over the photos is ridiculous.

What to do when you want to share a photo of a scene on a Soi known for prostitution? The unbridled joy in the faces of these handsome boys, while they were enjoying Songkran, was a sight to behold, so that's why I took the photo. Blurring their faces, however, gives the photo an entirely different (creepy) aura. You are right. It is ridiculous. 

What to do when you want to share a photo of a scene on a Soi known for prostitution? The unbridled joy in the faces of these handsome boys, while they were enjoying Songkran, was a sight to behold, so that's why I took the photo. Blurring their faces, however, gives the photo an entirely different (creepy) aura. You are right. It is ridiculous. 

You made your point, it's creepy and ridiculous.  But here no one is Emperor, the silly playing with water is not Mozart's "Figaro", and the joyful faces of the boys deserve to be seen in all detail.  So hopefully that was your last blurring, and you return to your artistic freedom of expression.

Haha yes, thank you for reminding me about the ice water. It is a shock to the skin when it hits you, but you get used to it and I even managed to get some ice put in my water tank for my water gun as well. Thanks for the tip about going to Soi Tantawan on Songkran. I'll check that out next time. So many hot boys that time of year.

LOL. Thanks for the laugh faranglaw. The whole saga over the photos is ridiculous.

So just repost it with the happy faces and let the queens fuss if they want to. There is nothing in this photo to suggest prostitution. It's a street scene at Songkran. That's all it is.

1. yes the dates are 13-14-15, but the last day should be less active anyway. If I remember correctly, last year was unusual in that they restricted the water fighting in general and banned it completely on the last day because of a shortage of water in the country. It had not rained sufficiently in the preceding two rainy seasons and the reservoirs were at perilously low levels. That's no longer an issue this year.

2. More subdued because of the mourning is anyone's guess. My guess is the usual street action will take place, only public concerts and such will not take place. 

3. Why would the circuit party be subdued? It is behind closed doors and the NYE party wasn't subdued at all. Same-same na. Also, the pool party at the W Hotel is advertised as normal, so nothing subdued about that either: http://www.whotelbangkok.com/splashaway2017

4. not sure yet. I kinda don't want to escape it this year, but haven't made any plans whatsoever, so dunno what's going to happen lol

Yes i will be in town 8-16th.  By myself first few days, BF arriving on 13th.  Heading to laos for 5 days after that as well. 

Will be getting up to my own fun first few days - completely free agent then!    When BF arrives, we have tix to gsircuit parties, but i dont think he will be 100% committed to them, nor to the water fights in the street.  So might be looking to hang with folks then....

in my mind, itinerary will be street party on 13th.  gscircuit opening night party 14th.  bear day pool party 15th.  

I was able to do songkran once before... with a fuckbuddy.  we had a great time.  We spent 1 afternoon/night at the silom street water fight, holed up in soi 4 bar till the wee hours of the morning.  Next day i could hardly walk i was so stiff and sore.  We headed back to street party next day, but it had lost it luster, and we just were too tired... We had more fun going to and from silom road from sathorn, where we had one of one skirmishes with locals.  oh yeah  did i say fuckbuddy... we spent the rest of the time in bed! 

so greatly looking forward to the break, being back in thailand, reliving the memories... but dont think it will be a good as the first time round....

3. Why would the circuit party be subdued? It is behind closed doors and the NYE party wasn't subdued at all. Same-same na. Also, the pool party at the W Hotel is advertised as normal, so nothing subdued about that either: http://www.whotelbangkok.com/splashaway2017

4. not sure yet. I kinda don't want to escape it this year, but haven't made any plans whatsoever, so dunno what's going to happen lol

OK good its same same na. Let me know if you're around that week!

Yes i will be in town 8-16th.  By myself first few days, BF arriving on 13th.  Heading to laos for 5 days after that as well. 

Will be getting up to my own fun first few days - completely free agent then!    When BF arrives, we have tix to gsircuit parties, but i dont think he will be 100% committed to them, nor to the water fights in the street.  So might be looking to hang with folks then....

in my mind, itinerary will be street party on 13th.  gscircuit opening night party 14th.  bear day pool party 15th.  

I was able to do songkran once before... with a fuckbuddy.  we had a great time.  We spent 1 afternoon/night at the silom street water fight, holed up in soi 4 bar till the wee hours of the morning.  Next day i could hardly walk i was so stiff and sore.  We headed back to street party next day, but it had lost it luster, and we just were too tired... We had more fun going to and from silom road from sathorn, where we had one of one skirmishes with locals.  oh yeah  did i say fuckbuddy... we spent the rest of the time in bed! 

so greatly looking forward to the break, being back in thailand, reliving the memories... but dont think it will be a good as the first time round....

Very nice! I guess we will might bump into each other at the wet street madness and at GCircuit. I will not be a free agent and will probably be with BurBoy, if he is still talking-to me once I tell him my intentions for our relationship. I choose the Boy pool party every year. Is the bear pool party better in your opinion? 

Any other tips or more stories on how to celebrate Songkran?

OK good its same same na. Let me know if you're around that week!

Very nice! I guess we will might bump into each other at the wet street madness and at GCircuit. I will not be a free agent and will probably be with BurBoy, if he is still talking-to me once I tell him my intentions for our relationship. I choose the Boy pool party every year. Is the bear pool party better in your opinion? 

Any other tips or more stories on how to celebrate Songkran?

We end up parking/setting up in one of the bars in soi4 for the street madness.  Used it as the base for food, drinks, visiting, resting, toilets - just gave you some space in all the madness.   Water fought on the balcony, went inside when you needed a break.  Worked well for us, lasted from late afternoon to midnight.  it was one of the first ones as you enter the soi... that same bar no longer there......

what other strategies does one have for street party?  Cant last more than a couple hours crushed on the street?   Maybe we could pick a bar as a meeting point?

HAH!  Never been to g-sircuit, so cant comment.  The ONLY reason we picked bear party is because we are older, hairier and heavier than 99.9% of the beautiful boys that will be at the boy party.  So there is a small chance we might actually fit in to this party.  Buffed gayboy dance parties not really our scene... but create your own fun i say! 

...nothing more eye catching than a drenched young man in a clingy t-shirt...

I thought the same, but erotic-wise, Songkran was a giant disappointment.

For this year, I'm planning to be in Bang Saen for Wan Lai (16-17 April) for the sand castle festival. Last year failed, I went with a friend by his car, but kilometers from Bang Saen, road was impassable. This year I will arrive before and depart after, provided I can get a hotel room at a reasonable price.

I just read this article on Coconuts:

post-16149-0-31174300-1490702024_thumb.jpg

Khaosan Songkran to happen without water guns, sexy clothes or booze

If this is the case, will Silom be next?  I wonder what Songkran will look like without these three things. Just fully clothed sober people getting wet from big hoses from water tanks? Kind of odd.

Any word from forum members who are in Bangkok now?