My plans for today ended up going all over the place, like I did. And there were a couple of surprises, one not so pleasant.

I got onto the subway, sat down and just enjoyed the eye candy. One guy in particular was stunning ; very tall, slim and with the cutest face. Gorgeous! I've noticed that all the guys here look very fit - not a fat guy in sight. The nicest looking guys always seem to be with their girlfriends. Oh, well.....

I was determined to climb Mt Xiangshan -actually, it's a hill - to enjoy the famous view back towards the Taipei 101 skyscraper. But first of all, I went up to the 89 floor to the viewing platform. The sign at the ticket counter said viewing conditions were "good.". Something was lost in translation as when I got to the top, all I could see was fog!

But all was not lost. There is a fantastic shopping area you have to walk through to get to the elevator. There are heaps of shops selling ceramics, which I just so happen to collect. So making a mental note to come back later, I walked down the street to the start of the hiking trail up the hill.

When I got to the stairs I almost had a heart attack! They went straight up as far as the eye could see. How on earth am I going to manage that? But I'd come all this way so I was decided to just go for it.

And thank God I did. Sure, the climb was exhausting - although I managed to leave some younger guys in my wake - but I got an unexpected reward. I was sitting down taking a short break when suddenly a group of young guys - shirtless and wearing short shorts! - came jogging up the stairs. OMG! Look at those bodies! Look at those 6-packs! And a couple of bubble butts, too! Who were they? Army guys? Fitness fanatics?

All I can say is, the view from the observation platform in the top of the hill paled into insignificance.

On reaching the platform I tried to take a selfie with my new camera, but was having a bit of trouble. Just then a young guy appeared and offered to take my photo. In typical Asian style he took about a dozen. I thanked him and started on the trail back down when he suddenly appeared next to me. He wanted to practise his English.

Sure, no probrem.

We sat down and started talking but the vibe suddenly changed when he asked me if I liked guys.

My heart stayed racing. What does he want? Is he a money boy? Is he one of those guys fountainhall mentions - the ones who just want to have sex with a westerner? How do I find out? Do I just ask him?

So I asked him if he had a job and whether or not he earned good money. He assured me he did. He then asked me if I would like him to come back to my hotel - we could relax there and he could practise his English and he would teach me some Chinese. (nudge nudge, wink wink).

I told him I wanted to go back to Taipei 101 to buy some ceramics and after that we could go back to the hotel. Not a problem, as he wanted to see something in a store there, too.

After I'd bought what I wanted it was his turn to go shopping. I followed him into Louis Vuitton; he wandered off to the clothing section and I looked at the shoes. Suddenly, he appeared with a jacket.

"What do you think? Does it suit me?"

"Looks great. Are you going to buy it?"

Jesus, I thought. He must be earning good money if he can just walk into LV and buy a jacket!

"No," he said, putting his arm around my waist. "Can you buy it for me?"

Gulp! You want me to buy you a $2000 jacket?? Really? I hardly know you. Besides, although you are very attractive, I'd hardly call you a stunner.

To cut a long story short, he didn't get his jacket and I never got to have sex with him. He stormed out of the store in disgust.

Somehow I think I missed a bullet. Was he really planning to come back to my hotel, or is that just his modus operandi - con a gay westerner into thinking he'll get sex, only after he's bought him something expensive. Was this some kind of scam?

So if you ever run into a guy called Danny on Xiangshan, be warned! Lol

So I decided to go to the Chang Kai Shek Memorial and ended up spending quite a long time walking around there. Then back to Taipei 101 to have a lunch at the famous Din Tai Fung dumpling restaurant. The line there was long and I had to wait about 40 minutes but it was well worth it. The best dumplings ever! And then another hour or so upstairs shopping.

By now I was exhausted - my smartwatch told me I'd walked 13 kilometres (!) so I decided to head back, shower and then head off to Hans sauna. But I got lost. Maybe I was just too tired but I wandered around and around but never found it. The problem is, it's hard to find the street names and all the streets look the same.

I could have walked down to the massage place but in the end I just couldn't be bothered. So here I am, back in the hotel writing this report.

Maybe tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

First time in new place always throws some curves your way. Hopefully you luck will change on the next day.

I've only changed flights in that airport and even then a bit confusing but I have encountered worse. Johannesburg, Frankfurt ( although it might be better now) and JFK is no bargain.

I couldn't stop laughing when I read to the part '$2000' jacket :-)  That guy must have been high or an idiot if he expected a complete stranger to buy him that expensive jacket.

Not necessarily, when you read posts on gay forums over the years you 'd notice similar stories and much much more ruinous for a farang tricked to think he is in love

congratulations on avoiding such a costly scam. Certainly that guy had a good eye sensing you are gay but good you sent him off, he started way too high I guess.

I prefer to travel alone, and I've noticed that everywhere I go in S.E. Asia I'm approached by someone either offering me sex or wanting to introduce me to a prostitute.

The guy asked me early on in the conversation if I was travelling with my wife. When I told him I was single, he had succeeded in getting the information he needed. Yes, I was probably gay. Time for him to make his move.

I think there are lots of spammers in Asia preying on gay guys. I was suspicious right from the start. Why would a young, relatively attractive guy be interested in a total stranger, especially one much older than himself?

I remember a tuk-tuk driver in Siem Reap offering me "lady boom-boom." To get rid of him I told him my wife would not be very happy.

"No probrem. Have young boy can take care of your wife."

Hilarious!

I've never been approached for sex in any other part of the world.

TomNg, I guess from the boy's point of view, if just one foreigner gives in to his demands, he's ahead.

I was eventually able to find the Han sauna after being given some information by a couple of posters over on gaybuttonthai.com. But I decided not to bother, especially as the weekend has been and gone.

Every since I saw, or rather "heard" all that barebacking going on the Otot-otot sauna in KL, I've kind of lost a bit of interest. The last thing I want to do is play with a cock that had been up someone's arse! Yuk!!!

I thought about a massage but from everything I've read, all you get for your $100 is a hj. No value for money there!

I've checked on gayromeo.com but it's not very active. I can't download the gay apps, as my ipad is sometimes used by others. There's probably more action on grindr.

I'm off to Okinawa on Friday and will give gayromeo a look. But I think my only realistic option for sex will be in Bangkok at the end of my trip.

Sorry to hear about your experiences, or lack of them.  But you saved me some time and money because I, too, was enticed to visit later this year.  I owe you a beer. Hell, the whole board does. 

I've made the circuit of SE Asia and still find that Thailand is more reliable, day in and day out, than elsewhere with great choices all around.  What it lacks in transportation infrastructure it more than makes up in other considerations by any other measure.

In the "Taipei" post just below this one in the queue, entries #39 and #40 now seems prologue.

Thanks for your candid reports and hope you find Okinawa a worthwhile diversion.

Haha...just re-read those posts. And that's exactly how it turned out.

But to be honest, I didn't come here with great expectations of getting laid. If it happened,not happened but I'm just as happy doing the sightseeing bit.

Let's face it - nothing in the world compares to Thailand when it comes to sex. It's just so easy there, whereas everywhere else is just too difficult. Well, maybe I can exclude Cambodia as I've had some great trips there.

Tonight I wandered down to PowerSpa massage. I think I found it but I'm not sure. It's apparently next to the Riverside Hotel, according to their website.. There was one place with the doors half closed. I peeped inside and saw a desk and a sofa but it may not have been PowerSpa. It could have been somebody 's apartment. Next door were some stairs leading up to who knows where.

Their website shows the name in Chinese. I can read Chinese but I'm dammed if I could find any sign displaying their business. Maybe they've closed.

As I said, it's all just too hard.

From reading other posts on some of the forums, its clear that Taipei may not be to everyones taste and expectations. But some posters really seem to like it a lot and find plenty of sex there. I dont read Chinese but when in China I find a decent map and a little time just looking at the characters means I can usually locate a building as long as I am in the right area. If in the wrong area then I am totally screwed LOL

I find it strange that because you assumed there was a lot of barebacking going on in Kuala Lumpur where gay sex is illegal you just assumed that this is also true in Taipei where there isn such law. You may be right but surely you should have checked before making the assumption?

Obviously it was a pity that you could not access the smartphone apps. Im actually surprised anyone travels without them nowadays. Again reading from the other reports, these seem to be particularly active in Taiwan and it would be nice to have had more confirmation. I wonder if you also tried the male only hot springs? 

I find it strange that because you assumed there was a lot of barebacking going on in Kuala Lumpur where gay sex is illegal you just assumed that this is also true in Taipei where there isn such law. You may be right but surely you should have checked before making the assumption?

Well, I didn't really assume anything. . I've got no idea if barebacking is prevalent in Taiwanese saunas, as I haven't visited one. It's just that barebacking is definitely a possibility in any gay sauna, although I've never seen it in Europe. Even if only one guy barebacks, I don't want to get anywhere near his cock after the event.

Gay apps are not really my thing as I prefer to meet guys in the flesh, so to speak. I've only ever met one guy off the internet (gayromeo) and that was in Prague. As it turned out, he was great but there's way too much uncertainty, as far as I'm concerned. Still, if I had access to grindr, etc here I think I'd probably give it a go.

Maybe I'll just buy another phone, download all the apps and only use it when I travel.

I wonder if you also tried the male only hot springs? 

I am also for the idea of giving hot springs a try, especially the weather still gets a bit chilly in the evening in Taipei these two days. There are two hot spring houses popular among gays in Yangmingshan. One is 川湯, the other one is 皇池. 川湯 tends to draw more young population and 皇池 is mostly for bears or bear lovers. Please be aware these two hot spring houses are not gay-exclusive. So if interested in going, choose the open spa so you can enjoy the eye candy presumably, or more later on. 

川湯溫泉養生餐廳

地址:台北市北投區行義路300巷10號

電話:02-28747979

官網:http://www.kawayu-spa.com.tw/

皇池溫泉御膳館

地址:台北市北投區行義路402巷42-1號

電話:02-28623688

官網:http://www.emperorspa.com.tw/

There was barebacking happening last time i went to Rainbow Sauna in Taipei. The place smelled of cum and was so strong it may attract others but nearly made me puke. Aparrently they have moved to new premises but i doubt much has changed. One guy tried to push my cock into his ass with no condom. I was out of there never to return.

I also witnessed barebacking in the sleeping area at the Hamilton Hotel Sauna in Seoul last week. I actually went for the hot baths but checked out what was going on up stairs. I saw one guy lay on the mat where two others had been spraying their cum after fucking. I agree with the OP, saunas are dangerous playgrounds anywhere.

I guess barebacking is now considered "safe" because of the prevalence of new anti - virus drugs. They can bareback and then pop a pill.

But for me, or is also a hygiene issue. I want a condom between my cock and his arse. I don't want any nasty surprises, if you get my drift.

I haven't bothered with the hotsprings because I've been to many in Japan over the years. Nothing new there. Also, I doubt the cocks would be all that impressive.

I did make the trip to Beitou hotsprings yesterday but found it all very boring.

Sorry to hear your experiences were poor.

Enticed by fountainhall's reports, I have been to Taipei in Dec 2016 and loved it (all aspects: public transport, food, boys, sightseeing, weather)! Full reports here:

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2017/01/taiwan-general-impressions.html

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2017/01/gay-places-in-taipei.html

I will go again next month.

...shower and then head off to Hans sauna. But I got lost. Maybe I was just too tired but I wandered around and around but never found it. The problem is, it's hard to find the street names and all the streets look the same.

I use google maps for navigation, and found all places I wanted to visit with google maps. (I don't use local SIM card, so download maps for that area, so I can use maps offline.)

In the "Taipei" post just below this one in the queue, entries #39 and #40 now seems prologue.

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/10844-taipei/?p=104897