reader

Bathing with aplomb in public

A young Thai man saw an opportunity and took it.  Aware that he could use a bath, he improvised when he spotted a broken water pipe that was creating a pool by the side of the road in Pattaya. He proceeds to demonstrate how it's done with aplomb while maintaining his dignity. 

That a passerby decides it's worthy of posting illustrates that we're constantly under observation when we walk out the door. According to the Pattaya Daily News, the person who posted it on FB makes sarcastic comments (you Thai speakers can judge for yourself).

You can find the article along with link to FB video here:

http://pattayadailynews.com/well-played-man-taking-a-baht-at-broken-water-pipe/

"Done with aplomb".  Nice.   I have never heard anyone use "aplomb" in contemporary usage and you did without sounding pretentious.  I think the late Mrs Lee Kuan Yew used it to describe her husband as a young man - the man she fell in love with - but she's from a different world/era.

That a passerby decides it's worthy of posting illustrates that we're constantly under observation when we walk out the door. According to the Pattaya Daily News, the person who posted it on FB makes sarcastic comments (you Thai speakers can judge for yourself).

If I'm reading it right, the bather made the video and the sarcastic comments himself, to make a point about someone's failure to repair the broken pipe. Not an opportunistic bath but a political statement.