GWMinUS

Festivals in the Philippines

Every City or Town in the Philippines has it's own Festival.

Most are around the end of January, like Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

And they are generally to celebrate Santo Nino or Sto. Nino, the Child Jesus.

If you want to read more about the many Festivals around this religious figure, you can look here...

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/bacolod/lifestyle/2016/01/28/history-sto-nino-festivals-454155

But there are other Saints that get their own Feast Days or Festivals.

I have never gotten to the Mother of All Sto. Nino Festivals, Sinulog, in Cebu City.

It goes on for 5-7 days. And features Parades, Dance Competitions between Local Groups, Amazing costumes, Mass at the Santo Nino Church, and even a Boat Parade and Blessing.

However, I have not been brave enough to deal with the huge crowds.

And of course there are LOTS of Partying all week. The guys paint their faces, wear beads, crowns, and enjoy the days and nights in the Clubs!!

I have gone to two Festivals.

The first was in the City of Kalibo, on the Island of Panay.

It is the Ati-atihan Festival of Aklan. The Ati are supposed to be the ingenuous peoples of the Philippines. They are also Negro. And that is celebrated in the Festival along with, you guessed it, Sto Nino!! There are days of Parades by local groups. All with amazing elaborate costumes! A Mass at the Cathedral. And on the final day, all of the locals come out carrying their statues of Sto. Nino to be blessed.

I will try to post a few pics here. The last pic is my friend from Manila who took me there.

The other Festival I went to was in General Santos City, in the far south of Mindanao. It is named Kalilangan. It was a bit calmer than the one in Kalibo. Again, Parades, Mass, Markets, and lots of fun.

I went there with two of my guys you can see them in the last pic.

So if you plan a trip to the Phils, be sure to try to take in one of these Festivals. You will never forget it!!

OH all my photos are TOO LARGE. Guess I will have to resize them and post later...