musgrave

News from Chiang Mai

I'm debating if I should go there or back to pattaya again when I visit. Where you staying?

It doesn't have to be either or.  Air Asia flies between Chiang Mai and Pattaya.  Five days in CM should be enough to cover most of the major sights comfortably.  As you've been to CM previously, you can zero in on the places you'd like to visit.

Guest whall

Well it would have to be either or based on vacation time. But I have already been to pattaya so I should probably try Chiang. I just had a wonderful time in pattaya last time that I want to go again. Lol. But if Chiang Mai has the sex places, I should just try that city out.

Well it would have to be either or based on vacation time. But I have already been to pattaya so I should probably try Chiang. I just had a wonderful time in pattaya last time that I want to go again. Lol. But if Chiang Mai has the sex places, I should just try that city out.

I think I might have misread your earlier post.  I think you should go to Chiang Mai if you've never been. You just might get bitten by the Chiang Mai charm. :)  I don't know much about the "sex places" as they don't really interest me.  I've been to a few of the venues on musgrave's list and although I didn't dislike them, I can't say I liked them enough to want to go back anytime soon.  My friends and I hit mainly Thai-speaking and mixed venues.  I've been to Adam's Apple and didn't find it anything special although it's the closest to the large Bangkok showbars in terms of facilities.  One or two goodlooking boys but the rest look like they just stepped out from a dark alley or construction site.  Not to my taste but others find them attractive.  The best looking guys I have seen in Chiang Mai are at uni, the clubs and on the streets.

Glad, you can't even remember what you posted in the same thread.

In post #6, you advise:

"Five days in CM should be enough to cover most of the major sights comfortably.  As you've been to CM previously, you can zero in on the places you'd like to visit."

In post #9 you advise:

"I think I might have misread your earlier post.  I think you should go to Chiang Mai if you've never been."

WTF?

Across the three boards, you have more personas than you can keep track of and in most you present yourself as a sexy young guy when you're anything but.  But we still luv ya' even if your meds are screwing with your mind.

Glad, you can't even remember what you posted in the same thread.

In post #6, you advise:

"Five days in CM should be enough to cover most of the major sights comfortably.  As you've been to CM previously, you can zero in on the places you'd like to visit."

In post #9 you advise:

"I think I might have misread your earlier post.  I think you should go to Chiang Mai if you've never been."

WTF?

You don't read very well for a 'reader'.  Post no. 6 and post no. 9 are not contradictory.  I misunderstood post no. 6 to mean that whall had been to both Chiang Mai and Pattaya previously but after reading post no. 8 and re-reading post no. 6, I realised that I had made a mistake and that he had only been to Pattaya before and had never been to Chiang Mai.  I acknowledged this in post no. 9 and strongly suggested that he visit Chiang Mai for it's unique charm.

Across the three boards, you have more personas than you can keep track of and in most you present yourself as a sexy young guy when you're anything but.  But we still luv ya' even if your meds are screwing with your mind.

I'm only a member here and of SN.  I'm not a member of Gaybuttonthai although I read it often.  So that's two boards, not three.  But if imagining me in multiples of three suits your fantasies, there's nothing I can do about it (but can you cope, with only two hands and my combined 27 inches?  Can that ubiquitous echo bobsagging help?) And as for seeing me as a "young, sexy guy" (x3), that's clearly something that is preoccupying your imagination these days. Perhaps you can fill it with something more realistic and achievable, like contributing to the subject matter of this thread, rather than wasting it on something that's clearly out of your league and will only ever remain in your imagination.

Excellent! Thanks for your input!

You're welcome.  As for hotels, you might want to stay somewhere in the Old City, on the east side of the moat (Thapae Gate) as it will give you the easiest access to the venues mentioned above, which are mostly to the east (Night Bazaar), west (HOM) and north (go go bars) of the Old City.  I've never stayed there but Hotel M seems to be quite popular and close to many breakfast-type places in the vicinity.  A great area for people watching.  I sometimes sit and read at the Black Canyon just across from the hotel.  This is also where the Chiang Mai Sunday Market starts.  A little overrated in my opinion but no harm going for a stroll if you happen to be there on a Sunday evening.

My boyfriend and I will e  there in three months.... any recommendations for restaurants? 

If you like tasty Thai food in unpretentious surroundings, try Lemon Tree. It's on Huaykaew Road opposite the Shell petrol station, which also provides parking for the restaurant.

If you're into Som Tam (Papaya Salad) you might try Udorn Som Tam on Soi Viangbua. It's about 100m beyond Viangbua Mansion or, for that matter, 150m beyond Adam's Apple.

My boyfriend and I will e  there in three months.... any recommendations for restaurants? 

My partner and I will be in Chiang Mai for a few days over Christmas, on previous visits we have eaten and been happy at La Fourchette, it is only a small restaurant so booking is advisable

We will be travelling with married straight friends of ours and based on Trip Advisor reviews have made a hotel booking at Phrasingh Hotel

My partner and I will be in Chiang Mai for a few days over Christmas, on previous visits we have eaten and been happy at La Fourchette, it is only a small restaurant so booking is advisable

We will be travelling with married straight friends of ours and based on Trip Advisor reviews have made a hotel booking at Phrasingh Hotel

According to my friends, Wat Prasingh is one of the gayest temples in Thailand.  Lots of mincing novices in the mornings. :lol:  That location should be alright.  I've never been to La Fourchette but it is popular with the so-called expat community. If you're travelling in a group, it would be easier to hire a songtaew to get around.  December is a great time to go but it will be busy, especially at Christmas.

I've been to Wat Phra Singh hundreds of times and your friends' description of the wat as either a "gay" place and/or that there are "lots of mincing novices in the mornings" are two descriptions that are simply dead wrong.  It's the main and largest temple within the city, absolutely worth a visit by anyone interested in wats and some very nice Lanna architecture, but anybody going there looking for gay action or to ogle "mincing novices" might as well remain at the bar where their alcohol is conjuring up such silly notions. 

No, my friends are neither dead nor wrong and by that I don't mean they constitute the walking dead that we see in Pattaya or the night bazaar.   555 Sorry, a little re-incarnation humour there.  Two of my friends had their buat (Initiation in English?) ceremonies and underwent their novice-hoods through Phra Singh.  They were in their early teens then and to even think or suggest that people go to the temple to look for gay action or to ogle at the novices is a perversity in itself.  What they meant is that for some reason, perhaps due its central location, the temple seems to attract a higher number of fem and ladyboys-to-be.  The joke is it is not necessary to shave their eye brows and pubes because they are already shaved when they arrive!  A contact at MPlus says that more gay/fem boys are drawn to buat/become novices compared to their percentages in the general population.  Some of the reasons cited were because they were drawn to the pageantry; others wanted to break free from their families; some wanted to be among boys and yet others were compelled by their families in the hope that a life of discipline, meditation and prayer would void them of their deviant ways and desires. 

Various organisations like MPlus have tried to introduce (safer) sex education in monasteries just like they do in prisons, schools, etc but of course the notion was too outrageous to even contemplate - monks do not have sex!  This despite fairly common knowledge that sexually predatory behaviour occurs in these religious institutions.  I put on my mock shock-horror face when my friend told me this and said, "Of course not!  That would be like telling a Catholic priest to put on a condom before fucking an altar boy!"  He didn't get it. :(  As an aside, monks have been spotted at go go bars and bordellos.  They usually wear hats to cover their shaven heads but my (undead) friends say you can tell from their shaven eye brows and the fact that they tend to pay with 20B bills (from their alm collections!).

I agree that Wat Phra Singh is worth a visit for the things that Bob says.  Also worth a visit is Wat Chedi Luang which is in the area.  You can chat with the monks and ask them about Buddhism, local culture and history.  My favourite is Wat Umong, with its extensive grounds, caves and tunnels.  Perhaps due to its location, it is not as touristy as Phra Singh or Wat Doi Suthep - a serene sanctuary far from the madding crowds.  You might just see me cycling in the area in the evenings. ;)  Best time to go is early in the morning just after dawn during the cool season.  Bring a light jumper or sweater as it can get nippy at that time.

I

If the poster who was asking about Chiangmai restaurants might narrow his question a bit [what type of food are you looking for (Thai, Indian, Babylonian, Italian, French, etc.), whether you're looking for good spots for specific dishes (e.g., barbequed chicken, kao man gai, northern Thai sausage, or whatever), and whether you're looking for upscale joints, less fancy joints, or even street food], I'll likely offer some suggestions. 

Bob,

Do you have a recommendation for a mid price thai restaurant in Chiang Mai say 1000 baht per person for food?

A bit of background is that, apart from my partner, we are all in our 60s - ok I've just turned 70 and I only enjoy food that is mildly spiced (at home my partner cooks for me with one chilli and he has more on the side)

A place with a good atmosphere and is not part of a hotel would fit the bill.

Bob,

Do you have a recommendation for a mid price thai restaurant in Chiang Mai say 1000 baht per person for food?

A bit of background is that, apart from my partner, we are all in our 60s - ok I've just turned 70 and I only enjoy food that is mildly spiced (at home my partner cooks for me with one chilli and he has more on the side)

A place with a good atmosphere and is not part of a hotel would fit the bill.

I fully understand the "mild" request and I and friends often tell the waiter how many chilis to put into a certain dish or, in some cases, to skip the chilis (or dried shrimp or whatever) altogether.  Then again, there are also a lot of dishes (sweet and sour pork/chicken, green curry with chicken/pork, penang curry with chicken/pork, etc., etc.) that really aren't spicy at all.  Don't hesitate at all to ask for one chili only in dishes....it simply won't be a problem anywhere.

Your 1000 baht per person is way too high for Thai food in Chiangmai.  Even at the fanciest places (and Thai "fancy" isn't really all that fancy) one would normally pay less than 300 baht for almost any menu selection (Thai food).  

Anyway, out of lots of possible choices, I'd recommend The House on Moon Muang (that's the road on the inside of the moat that runs north and south next to Thaphae Gate).  Most of the dishes there are 200-400 baht, the Thai food is good, and the place is nicely furnished (white table cloths and all) and quiet.  I think you'll like it.  You can check out their menu at: http://www.thehousethailand.com/thai-menu

If you're into vegetarian, the Achan place mentioned above by Sglad is quite popular with Thais and foreigners.

One of my favorite foods in Chiangmai is kao man gai (boiled chicken over rice along with a small bowl of chicken soup/broth) and, in my opinion, the absolute best places for that dish (typically a morning dish in Chiangmai and rarely served after 1 or 2PM) is a place in Santhitam near the fountain in the street or at one of the two more famous kao man gai restaurants near the Three Kings Monument (if you're interested in any of these places, pm me and I can give very specific directions).  I'm also a big fan of barbecued chicken and somtam and the number one place for that (my opinion) is the Wichian Gai place on Soi 11, Nimman, next to the Grace Dental Clinic.  At the Wichian place (Wichian refers to a district in Isaan and the "wichian" style of barbecued chicken is named after that area), I almost always also have somtam (and, yes, I often ask for one chili or less......even asking for no chilis means you'll get a little bit of heat as they mix the salad in the same wooden bowl)...and also ask that they omit the dried shrimp (not my cup of tea).  

While not always true, generally one will end up with very good Thai food by going to a restaurant (whether fancy or a dive) simply by following your eyes, i.e., go to where the Thais go as they simply won't suffer lousy Thai food.  If a place is busy with a fair number of Thai customers, it's usually a winner.  If there are few or no Thai customers there, move on. 

No recommendations for khao soi?  I love it but I know some people who hate it because of the coconut milk.  To me that's what makes it soo goood.

The chicken rice recommendations are interesting.  From the way you described it (boiled chicken), it's probably cooked Hainanese style.  Not one of my favourites but useful info to pass along.  For some reason, a lot of foreigners seem to think that all Singaporeans love chicken rice just as they think that all Thais eat pad Thai. :unknw:

By the way, it's panaeng (curry), not penang.  It's a common enough mistake.  The spelling in Thai is also weird.  Depending on how it's prepared it can be quite spicy.