musgrave

News from Chiang Mai

Hi there!

I will be going to Chiang Mai on the 23 - 26 Nov alone. Can anyone give me some recommendations wer to go or eat so that my dtay in Chiang mai will be memorable. Thanks

Hi there!

I will be going to Chiang Mai on the 23 - 26 Nov alone. Can anyone give me some recommendations wer to go or eat so that my dtay in Chiang mai will be memorable. Thanks

Difficult to make any recommendations with that undefined request.  What do you like to do?  What area of the city will you stay? What type of food do you like to eat (western, Thai, cheap, expensive, have any issue getting to places out of the city center, etc., etc.)?

There are basically two ùain gay areas in Chiang Mai : Chang Phuak (north) and The Night Market area.

I would stay in one of these two areas to avoid unnecessary trips at night, preferably in Chang Phuak which has less tourists, more reasonable prices and a quieter atmosphere. It is also easier to find transportation at night from the Night Market than from Chang Phuak, making the trip back home after bar-hopping much easier.

But to each his own.

Whichever you choose, I found Uber to be the best transport by far.

Fully agree.  Uber is typically 50% cheaper than what the tuk tuk dudes/dudettes are charging and you ride in a clean, quiet, and air-conditioned vehicle.

Baht busses (songteaws) here raised their prices to 30 baht a few months ago and, while I do use them regularly, they don't fit the bill for going to specific addresses or out of the way places most of the time.  One can, of course, often hire a songteaw to go just about anywhere but they'll then charge more than Uber and the ride obviously isn't as pleasant (plus many drivers simply won't agree to deviate from their usual routes to the various gates, markets, malls, etc.).

When using a songteaw, simply ask the driver if he'll be going to where you want to go (actually, you're better off saying you want to go to a well-known landmark near where you want to go) and, if he says "yes" (or nods his head), just get in and you pay 30 baht when you get out.  Do not ask "how much" (or, if you can help it, point to a spot on a map) as you'll suddenly see a sly smile on the driver's face (thinking you're a newbe tourist) and the price will rapidly escalate from there.

Tuk tuks generally won't take you anywhere during the day for less than about 80-100 baht.  In the evening, 120 baht is about the cheapest you can pay (although they'll ask for 140-200 baht).  

Poster Morph:  If you want some recommendations, you need to tell us a bit more as requested above.

Uber is certainly the way to go and readily available even in outlying areas of Chiang Mai. Arranged an Uber a couple of days ago to take a friend from here, about 1 mile east of Promenada, to his rather remote home. I collect him in the morning so know the distance.... 10 miles. Uber was Bht157, but more at peak times. Be careful not to arrange a pickup near any Songtaews or tuk tuks as I am given to understand that can cause trouble. (Our Uber driver in Pattaya was scared stiff of taxis and police, but provided an excellent drive to the airport in a brand new Fortuner.)

Difficult to make any recommendations with that undefined request.  What do you like to do?  What area of the city will you stay? What type of food do you like to eat (western, Thai, cheap, expensive, have any issue getting to places out of the city center, etc., etc.)?

Hi Bob, thanks for responding so fast. I will be staying in La Villeta Hotel in Koh Klang Road, Soi 1. My original planwas to see most of the tourist attractions ( temples, old city and the likes ), Also to go to the Elephant sanctuary and try local foods, because i heard that Chiang Mai is known as the culinary mecca of Thailand. We could try food of all range from cheap but nice to above average.

I would like to try some nightlife fun. I want to try sauna and massage. Any recommendations?

I think i would extend another day or two from my original plan if i cant cover all the nice areas.

Btw, i am Gelo i am a Filipino based in Singapore. How about you?

Hope you could give me some recommendations to make my visit a memorable one. Thanks.

Baht busses (songteaws) here raised their prices to 30 baht a few months ago...

Already in Aug 2016: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/new-songtaew-routes-and-30-baht-fare-rise-proposed/

But agree with everything else you said. Based on several visits to Chiang Mai and all other bigger, medium and smaller cities (my current count of provinces I have visited - meaning stayed in a hotel over night - is 48), Chiang Mai is a pedestrian's nightmare. Together with Nong Khai which has no intra-city public transport at all, the worst I have encountered.

Many proposals have been made over the years but the rise to 30 baht (and painting of that information on the sides of the red baht buses) occurred this past summer.  And apparently, for the most part, this is mainly a "falang" price as (when I'm paying attention) I've noticed quite a few Thais paying the old rate of 20 baht without comment or objection by the driver.

Have to agree with Bob; that's a really out of the way place to stay. Your best bet for getting into town might be to pick up a Lamphun - Chiang Mai bus or songteaw which run along highway 106. They took you to Warorot, the main market, last time I used them, many years ago. This road to Lamphun is lined by beautiful trees but can be rather busy. 

I have taken visitors to the elephant sanctuary on highway 11, North of Lampang, and it proved interesting and rather less commercial than those north of CM, though I have to admit I haven't visited the latter, which are directed very much at tourists. Lampang itself has Wat Phra That Lampang Luang, a Lanna style temple and there's also a Shan style temple there.

Whatever you decide, have a great time in this lovely city.

Most of those buses stop running shortly after dusk-around 19.00. Useless for late nite outings

Also most of these former small real buses have been repalced by the dreadful songhthaews-in other colours as red-and with big route nr on the side.

After my last visit to there and noting the suddenly much raised prices and the influx and china-town transformation, plus an awful experiience at a former good&great massageshop, I decided that would be the last time going there.

As if to prove this was right, the eve after here in BKK had a great time in another m2m massage\shop-with a guy from ChMai!

I have not been to Chiang Mai for quite some time. But it seems that as a destination for the tourist looking for a decent number of sex encounters along with the usual tourism bit, Chiang Mai is dying. Adams Apple and some commercial massage spas are still obviously ticking along, but many appear to have closed. I wonder if someone who lives there could perhaps indicate if this is likely due to commercial forces like higher rents etc or to reduced demand from the tourist trade. Has the influx of so many Chinese tour groups had an effect? 

That's an interesting question. In the twenty years that I've been visiting Thailand, the gay scenes in both Pattaya and Bangkok have changed enormously; but Chiang Mai's is unrecognisable. 

As far as the Chinese tour groups are concerned, it's true that they dominate now; but the decline in CM's gay scene began before their arrival . I'd suggest that  it was  apparent by 2004 or so...but that's a guess.

For me, CM's appeal as a gay destination ended when the old AA closed. Whether that closure was a symptom or a cause, I don't know. But I do recall that many of the punters at AA were students from CMU; where do they go now? Night clubs of one sort or another I expect.

CM has flourished as a destination; you need only to look at the budget airlines and their popularity and the new hotels. The Lavender Lanna -which had an undeserved bad press, in my view- was the last attempt to resurrect the gay scene. A decent go-go bar with some cute guys, relatively cheap  accommodation, and  a roof-top restaurant which I always liked....and it failed, with tragic consequences for the owner.

I now visit annually with my boyfriend; and the gay scene is irrelevant to us. But I regret its passing if only because it was so distinctive.

Have paid a couple of visits to Adams Apple over the past couple of months - I would say that the shows have diminished in quality over the past couple of years .  When I first went there a couple of years ago there was some real attempt at entertaining you with dance, show and song, hula hoop, acrobats  - but now it seems the main emphasis for the boys is getting down into the audience and collecting as many tips as they can - not that that is a bad thing I guess as touching is fully encouraged.  The boys are incredibly friendly and enjoy a drink.  It is still a fun night.and Korn is still there.  It is Mamasan's Birthday this Monday so it should be a happy night. 

Close to AA is Freeguy Karaokoe Bar which is usually dead till 1.00am then the crowd arrives.  It is now a drinking. karaoke venue with a lot of very handsome wait staff. Some of the lads from AA move onto there after AA closes . Around 2.00 - 3.00am the boys d-shirt and dance and parade for tips - a very nice sight - have taken a couple home from there.  Depends on the individual guy if they are up for " offing". Very friendly happy venue.

Uber is very helpful when going to or leaving these places.

A new bar has opened diagonally opposite Ram Bar - 69 Bar. Still finding its feet - pretty quiet but some nice freelance boys there - some of whom are offable . Some boys from Maya Massage come there after the massage shop closes at 9.00pm

Maya Massage is located in a small soi directly opposite the entrance to the Empress Hotel in Chang Klan Road.  Walk about 150 metres into the Soi and the venue is on the left hand side.  Massage rooms are small - shower outside and it seems as though these days a 90 minute massage really means 60 minute massage!!! so there is a need to be firm about the times. About 10 boys there when I went. Mostly Tai Yai which means tops.

Paradise Massage has been closed down by authorities after underaged staff were found on the premises.

Recently went on a 3 day driving trip Chiang Rai, Chang Khong, Nan, Phayao - great places and can report that my Hornet App worked very well indeed.

Great weather up here now.

Returned to AA last night and have to say the show was a little more entertaining - one boy did a great acrobatic piece in a pair of gold shiny trunks - very very nice.  Interesting that if a boy comes to sit with you now there is a 100thb fee - apparently introduced because some  were not being tipped by customers.  I am not into lip syncing drag acts but there was one doing a Diana Ross song last night - very good.

Sat with a gorgeous young thing from Mae Hong Son and gladly paid my 100thb - great smile, great character and great elsewhere.

you are right a447a Korn is a very nice person - good personality and got to see and feel first hand even more of his finer qualities - he did a security man act last night