vinapu

Newbies advice- bar etiquette and more

When exchanging cash keep in mind that jewelry stores often offer better rates than banks. Natty Gems beside  soi Twilight and one in soi Thaniya are ones I'm using.

Try to exchange money during week or on Saturday as I have an impression that due to lack of competition / banks closed / counters along Silom and Sukhumvit offer poorer rates on Sundays.

Money changer in malaysia always offer better rates than in bangkok based on my personal experience. However is it not wise to carry a large amount of cash with you when travelling. One good thing is cimb, a malaysian bank has regional branches in thailand and their many atm around bangkok including at saladaeng bts offer the best rate for me, quite close to mid market rate without any fee. I have tried a few other atm and their exchange rate is usually worse than cimb, and they will usually charge around 220thb fee. Your own bank might also have a fee imposed as well, for my case, cimb charges myr10.60 ~ 80thb for withdrawal using other atm. So always check with your own bank first, on their charges.

I agree with vinapu that jewelry stores usually offer better rate if u have cash to exchange. Particularly true for popular currency like usd and euro. Similar observations for when i work in ho chi minh. At some point, they gives better rate than XE.

Cimb have regional branches in indonesia, singapore and Philippines as well if im not mistaken.

bottom line of all that is that charges imposed by both our domestic banks and Thai ones are greatly distorting effective  exchange rate so depending on  financial ,institution one may be OK with using ATM and another one is better served by bringing warm / from money belt being close to your body / cash.

I for one monitor those thing close just for fun of it and in 15 trips spanning 16 years pattern of best rates is the same in descending order

1. US cash bought with my domestic currency

2. domestic currency

3. purchases by credit card being charged in THAI BAHT 

4. Cash withdrawal from ATM

5. Baht purchased at home 

Bangkok airport rates are somewhere between 2-5.

Good news is that for amount average tourist is spending  differences while visible do not amount to anything close to ruin so do not spoil your vacation time chasing the best rate all over but when about the city just check rates here and there as short 50 m walk may save you enough to buy a beer and ice cream at 7/11  on exchange of say,  100 $ note

Before using any ATM, have a good idea of what the current exchange rate is.  This is easy to do by checking a few banks in vicinity.  Do NOT go by the rate your hotel may be offering that is always way off in favor of hotel. You can also check an on-line source such as XE.com.

I'd select an ATM inside a major bank.  After inserting your card, entering the amount you wish to withdraw, a message should be displayed with the following information:

1. The exchange rate the bank will use for transaction

2. The fees bank will charge you

3. The amount (in Thai baht) that you will receive.

Be sure to carefully read ALL the information.  If you are not satisfied with anything, reject the transaction and get clarification from a bank rep or go elsewhere..

You're definitely right about checking the XE.com rate.   Then I would target a <1% loss from that.

As for the ATMs, the only time I have seen the ATM display an exchange rate is when they are offering me an UNFAVOURABLE rate.   That's the same as the shops using DCC and offering to charge you in your home country at a bad rate.

Maybe that is not always the case, but if the ATM does show you a rate, get your calculator & check if it's very close to the XE.com rate.    If it's a rip off rate, there should be another better option which will end up at the Visa or Mastercard rates.

Typical costs for ATM withdrawals are:

1  ATM fee   150~200 baht   (for foreign cards)   This is already a lot.  So plan to make large withdrawals, rather than small daily ones.

2  Your bank will the exchange at the Visa or Matercard rate, which is very close to mid-market.

3  UK banks then add a forex fee of typically 2.75%.   

1 + 3 makes ATMs totally uneconomic.   

UK customers can avoid the 2.75% by using a Halifax Clarity credit card.   That charges 0% for withdrawals and 1% a month interest.  I've successfully made ATM withdrawals, then on the same day logged on & paid it off from my UK bank, therefore avoiding any interest.

The cheapest way I have found to get Thai baht is to take a big wad of notes in my own currency, then change them in Thailand at somewhere like Superrich.     

The airport rail terminal had about 8 money changers all offering excellent rates on my last trip.    My total loss was 0.8%.   Much less than 2.75%.  Much better than your typical bank transfer fees.

Then I paid most of the cash into my Thai bank account, using those cash paying in machines that the branches have.   ATM withdrawals for Thai card holders were about 12 baht, if I remember correctly.  

It is possible that using Transferwise to move money to your Thai bank account would be slightly better than the 0.8%.   

Note: My exchange was in the airport rail terminal in the airport basement.  Do not even think about changing money upstairs in the airport, because rates are much worse.

Perhaps some of us should cooperate on a fully costed guide to transferring money & post it as a sticky  in some appropriate sub-thread.   This is the third thread to discuss the topic in August.     And it's only the 8th.

As for the ATMs, the only time I have seen the ATM display an exchange rate is when they are offering me an UNFAVOURABLE rate.   That's the same as the shops using DCC and offering to charge you in your home country at a bad rate.

Maybe that is not always the case, but if the ATM does show you a rate, get your calculator & check if it's very close to the XE.com rate.    If it's a rip off rate, there should be another better option which will end up at the Visa or Mastercard rates.

I think this is an example of what z909 means by ATM rip-off or unfavorable rate.  (I posted the following in recent trip report).

Made a stupid mistake while using Thanachart Bank. I failed to notice (or it wasn't displayed on screen) the following message: "I have chosen not to use the Mastercard currency conversion process." It was, however, printed on the receipt. The result was an exchange rate a full baht below what I should have received.  The devil is in the details!

Thanachart is not what I consider a major bank such as Siam Commercial.  Again, it was my own lack of attention to detail that was responsible.

Perhaps some of us should cooperate on a fully costed guide to transferring money & post it as a sticky  in some appropriate sub-thread.   This is the third thread to discuss the topic in August. And it's only the 8th.

This (money exchange) is one of the subjects discussed ad nauseam, and should better be treated in a wiki than in a forum. I wrote extensively about money exchange, from Euro in Germany to THB:

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2016/07/money-exchange.html

(numbers will be different for other currency pairs and home countries)

Guest lurkerspeaks

I have AT&T as my cell carrier. They have a new service where for $10 USD per day, you get unlimited international data. Would that work in Bangkok for hailing uber? 

Have the regulations changed for obtaining local SIMs? I remember reading a few months ago something about new restrictions/regulations. I'm Coming in October and always buy a local SIM so if anyone has current news it would be helpful to me.

Dont know if its new, but they asked me to bring my passport to buy new sim in july/august. Dont remember needing to do that last year.

I have AT&T as my cell carrier. They have a new service where for $10 USD per day, you get unlimited international data. Would that work in Bangkok for hailing uber? 

Buy a True Move SIM, that will cost $10 USD including data and last the entire month

Save the rest of your $10 per day roaming costs on entertainment!

Yes it will work in Thailand.  When some family visited me in BKK earlier this year they used that very AT&T plan.  They liked the ease and felt more comfortable having their U.S. phone number active with them at all times (w/o having to bother with a second phone or switching in/out SIM cards).

Passport is required to get SIM

Note that in the past the airport authority have cracked down on Uber picking up at the airport.  Just an FYI.  Personally I never have a problem with getting a taxi at the airport and just pleasantly but confidently remind the driver to use the meter.  (If I can't see the meter clearly when I'm in the taxi I will also confirm the meter is on as we are pulling out.)

Buy a True Move SIM, that will cost $10 USD including data and last the entire month

Exactly AND if you happen to give your phone number out to any money boys, you're not having them calling you when back in the US.  

I have an old style Nokia phone which is very small & light which I can put my home SIM in, just in case I want to receive home phone calls.   However, since my closest friends & relatives can use e-mail, this isn't really necessary.  

Also, avoids some awkward conversations:

Mum:  Hello, how are you ?

Z:       Fine thanks mum, how are you ?

Mum: Good thanks.   Where are you now ?

Z:       In bed with a gorgeous gogo boy.

Also, avoids some awkward conversations:

Mum:  Hello, how are you ?

Z:       Fine thanks mum, how are you ?

Mum: Good thanks.   Where are you now ?

Z:       In bed with a gorgeous gogo boy.

you wouldn't lie to your Mum , would you ?

Guest lurkerspeaks

Another question- is it suggested or recommended to download a translator app to your phone or will the language not be a problem? If an app is suggested, can you recommend one that seems to work better than others?

In the long run you won't have to many problems with language unless you want deep conversations. New boys will have a language issue, but boys that have been around a bit can get by. I have google translate . Most of the boys have translation Aps so they are ready for you.

But I like WeChat the best. You can translate each text pretty simply .

Guest samebb

What you might want to download is an thai keyboard for your phone for the duration of your stay. Means a boy can use your phone when looking for a place in google maps ect or even UBER. Saves time and confusion. You can just switch between keyboards in one tap. Really useful.

Guest topazann

I would say be careful with the people coming over randomly, especially if you aren't going to be there. If you're going to be there then it's not a big deal but having strangers around a lot if you aren't there can become problematic.Not show them jewelry,wristwatches,smartphone ets

I don't have jewelry & or a fancy watch. I have no ambition to own such items & if I did, they certainly would not go on holiday with me.

A smartphone is useful, so I have reasonable Samsung model, only about 3 years out of date. If I'm entertaining, it gets locked in the room safe.

I simply wouldn't leave strangers alone in my room. Admittedly, I do have strangers in my bed & sleep with them there.

I simply wouldn't leave strangers alone in my room. Admittedly, I do have strangers in my bed & sleep with them there.

few times I left boys in my room alone for some time and never had any problems , granted those were boys I offed before at least once but really still strangers.  I'm not naive but must say I will give my Thai boys credit due on their honesty. Few times also I gave them their agreed  LT tip up front and they never tried to abuse situation , quite opposite in at least one case / always wants to leave at 5 , when paid up front turned off  his alarm in the phone  /

I like reading the posts, always something entertaining or useful information for members not so familiar with Bkk night life. Can I ask more information about the beer bars. I offed boys couple times from gogo bars but don't know what to do in the bars like the first couple places in soi twilight.

Are there boys available there? How you choose or contact if you like somebody? Rates? Are they willing to do everything just like gogo boys? Anything else useful how to act in beer bars?

Thank you all the help ;)