Guest samebb

NAB Mens Clubs, Pattaya - Who has been?

Guest samebb

I was in Pattaya (again) this weekend just gone.

I spent Friday night in NAB, North Pattaya with my boy from Jomtien and some of his friends.

It was very very busy, although buying a bottle gave us a VIP Table (3000 baht). I counted maybe 5-8 farang in the whole place, myself being one of them. 

I was with company, so I wasn't really looking for any actions, but I wonder if it's a place anyone here has ever had much luck in? It's certainly a far better venue than anywhere else in Thailand. (DJ Station is a joke compared) although certainly more expensive.

Hopefully, soon I can go back without my boy and try and mingle a little more! 

As an extra comment, I spent a couple of hours Saturday in Toy Boy with a farang friend of mine from Bangkok. It was his birthday, so he had bottles open, free pizza, cake... A free trip for me. But I should add, the quality of boys from only a month ago is amazing. There are a good number of really REALLY hot boys in there for the twink lovers here. Right now, the best gogo in Pattaya (next to Winner in Sunee). 

Anyway, any comments on NAB? 

"It terms of pulling there... its always the same... when you are in company its really very cruisy and loads of guys are giving you the eye... When you are looking for company... they are nowhere to be seen!"

Ha by god isn't THAT the case !!  The number of nights that rule has applied itself is soul destroying there - only then to get home at 5am for Grindr to kick into action and even though you SWEAR you're going to definitely go to SLEEP to get some rest this time you still strangely find yourself with someone on the way other whilst thinking "WTF, what just happened, what have I done, I'm knackered" but thankfully after a shower somehow thankfully seem to just about manage.

Recently a lot of people have started bringing their own bottles in from 7-11, they charge 300B corkage fee, so there is no price difference... but it is rumoured that the quality of JWR in 7-11 is better than the NAB(read into that what ever you like!)

If you don't finish your whiskey they will keep it for you and issue you with a card that you can use the next visit... this is very useful when you have finished the 1st/2nd bottle... and would like to drink a little more... but not another full bottles worth!

That got me thinking several years back when I purchased a bottle of Jack Daniels at a market in Silom.  When I opened it back in the hotel it was immediately clear that it wasn't the real JD.  Thought of taking it back but then I remembered that TIT.

Out of curiosity, just did a quick search for "Thailand counterfeit liquor" and the hits just kept on coming.  This one stood out:

From Thai PBS

About five million worth of smuggled and fake liquor were seized by Department of Special Investigation officials in 12 coordinated raids of warehouses in Bangkok recently.

DSI director-general Pol Col Paisit Charoenmuang disclosed that officials seized altogether 2,761 bottles of liquor of which 2,307 were smuggled authentic liquor and the rest fake liquor, also smuggled into the country from a neighbouring country.

He said that the packaging of the fake liquor looks so authentic that it is almost impossible for buyers to distinguish fake from authentic liquor.

He alleged that the store-owner who owns the seized liquor has been in liquor selling business for about 30 years in the Sao Chingcha area. But besides the authentic liquor which is displayed on the shelves in the store, he said that the store also sold smuggled and fake liquor.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/5-million-baht-worth-fake-smuggled-liquor-seized/

That got me thinking several years back when I purchased a bottle of Jack Daniels at a market in Silom.  When I opened it back in the hotel it was immediately clear that it wasn't the real JD.

this does not automatically mean that fake one was worse than original IMHO

this does not automatically mean that fake one was worse than original IMHO

Nor does mean that it wasn't.

I've been drinking JD for 30+ years and know what to expect from the first sip.  I sure many others have a favorite liquor they are well familiar with and would be quick to recognize a fake.  But if you place assaults on your taste buds aside, the real problem is how the counterfeit liquor was manufactured. 

In the worst case scenarios, you can easily find accounts of tourists (most of them usually young party goers in the south) dying as a result of methanol poisoning.  Methanol is converted in the body into formic acid, the same toxin that is found in the venom of ants.

But most of them never saw the bottle their booze came from.  What I'm referring to are the bottles with fake labels that are indistinguishable from the genuine.

The monetary advantages of making and selling bottles of fake booze are significant for all parties: production costs are low and taxes are avoided but the retail price is the same, leaving room for huge mark up over cost.

What I learned from my personal experience with fake booze is to stick to beer when I'm in Thailand. And even the most entrepreneurial locals wouldn't consider creating a fake because they're aware of just how harshly the legit manufactures--who are highly protective of their business--would choose to deal with them on a personal level.

The OP noted that folks were buying their booze at the 7-Eleven before heading to NAB. I think the 7-Eleven is probably one of the safest places to purchase booze because it has so much riding on its reputation.

Those who wish to read more about the effects of methanol poisoning (and they are indeed nasty) can find it in a report from the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney:

http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/stories/2013/09/10/3845522.htm

BTW: the problem of fake wines is much more widespread worldwide but particularly in China.

But most of them never saw the bottle their booze came from.  

it's why those who are bringing their own bottle purchased at 7/11 or other reputable place and paying corkage are actually very smart for that very reason.

I agree that beer is safest option but for those in need of something stronger on the shelves of 7/11 there are waiting bottles of Hong Thong to be purchased. While travelling I'm strong believer in making sure whatever I'm purchasing is locally made.

Guest samebb

it's why those who are bringing their own bottle purchased at 7/11 or other reputable place and paying corkage are actually very smart for that very reason.

I agree that beer is safest option but for those in need of something stronger on the shelves of 7/11 there are waiting bottles of Hong Thong to be purchased. While travelling I'm strong believer in making sure whatever I'm purchasing is locally made.

I am exactly the same.

I can report though that NAB only sell imported bottles of spirits/liquor inside the bar. I was slightly disappointed. Having said that I was given a drinks menu in English. There may be a different Thai menu.

It was an expensive few hours but the company and entertainment were worth it. I actually asked one of the waiters if I could take photos. He allowed me to take a couple of the stage, however only the clothed times. The more naughty times he was no. 

I will post them as and when I have time to pull them off my phone. 

I can report though that NAB only sell imported bottles of spirits/liquor inside the bar. I was slightly disappointed. Having said that I was given a drinks menu in English. There may be a different Thai menu.

Drinking anything less than JW Red or Chivas in a club like NAB would bring a lot of face loss to the people at your table in a place like NAB.

Blend 285, 100 pipers etc are fine in Tumnan Issan, but in one of the more Hi-So places (NAB, Hollywood, Noir, Differ etc.) it is expected that you would drink imported spirits in order to keep up appearances. I can't say i condone or agree with it... but have to go along with it

Be thankful that the days of JW Black being the minimum face saving whiskey are now gone!

As for the fake booze, one of my friends says you can tell the fakes by the color of the import seal.. but i have never verified that.

There were also pics floating around on FB a while back of workers in a well known pattaya club refilling empty JW Red bottles from a big vat of imported Laos whiskey, it seems that they have a method to refill the bottle whilst keeping the plastic pouring cap intact!

Drinking anything less than JW Red or Chivas in a club like NAB would bring a lot of face loss to the people at your table in a place like NAB.

actually good to know. We may not care about us losing face and probably farang drinking something local is not even losing it but if we are with Thai company never hurts to show some sensitivity and help to boost their self esteem.

It's why sometimes I let my boys to pay for goods, taxi or meal . Of course money is mine but pleasure is still theirs.

In the worst case scenarios, you can easily find accounts of tourists (most of them usually young party goers in the south) dying as a result of methanol poisoning.  Methanol is converted in the body into formic acid, the same toxin that is found in the venom of ants.

In a recent case in a luxury hotel in Playa del Carmen, Mexico contaminated liquor hit two siblings so badly that they passed out in the pool, and one of them drowned.

I feel protected in BKK from such dangers by sticking to my favorite beverages there:  mango drink and water.

Guest samebb

actually good to know. We may not care about us losing face and probably farang drinking something local is not even losing it but if we are with Thai company never hurts to show some sensitivity and help to boost their self esteem.

It's why sometimes I let my boys to pay for goods, taxi or meal . Of course money is mine but pleasure is still theirs.

That's what I do. Just let them order. It helps when you're with company who know the establishment. Just sit back and take it easy. 

What sucks for me, is I actually hate JW. It's one of the worst whiskeys on the planet. I have no idea how they managed to dominate the import market in Thailand. Some very good business there. 

As Colmx said....there are no VIP tables as such in NAB, its just a case of money talks.  If your there early enough and open a bottle of JW Red you will normally get a decent table.

Spent far too many nights in there and way too much bhat...always seemed to the place one's 'dates' and a gaggle of their friends would ask to go to...and years ago it was fun but now tbh less so.  The nights when there's something special going on can still be good but less of those in low season.

If I go now I will usually pre-book a table via a Thai pal.  That's what all the placeholders that you see are for on the tables when you walk in.

Be warned though the closer you are to the stage the more the coyotes and LB's will be 'hunting' you for coyote drinks & tips...

And do not hand over the bottle you purchased at the 7 to the waiter when you enter the club or they may switch it with a copy. We always carry the bottle to our table