Guest jones

Gay Cambodia advice for first timer please

In its salad days, Babylon was a candy store to be sure. In the period I frequented the place (2003 to 2007) I considered it world class. I'd arrive for lunch in the coffee shop and wouldn't leave until they started tuning the lights up near midnight.

But gradually it evolved and Thais migrated elsewhere and the farangs began to be the dominant source of customers. It began closing earlier and the place once reknown for its cleanliness began to get a bit seedy.

Maybe the Chinese will provide the impet to bring back the luster--and the younger thais--but I'm not optimistic.

My first visit to Babylon was in 2005 and the last one in 2016.  I haven't seen much difference in the 11 years in between. It is still clean enough that I find no reasons to complain. It gets good quality customers, and if there are more old farangs now it may be that it became more famous and we have the money to go there. 

And I see no reasons why it should change. Its owner is a wealthy farang which has it asa his pet project, and why would he let it come down? His employees have been with him forever and know all the skills of the trade. It must make changes like every place, and some may be more successful than others, but nothing seems in the way for mistakes to be corrected and keep improving.

Why would the Chinese "bring back the luster"?  If I were a young Thai, I would much prefer older farangs in good shape over fat Chinese...   

The more I read about Pattaya the more inclined I am to make it my primary destination (with Babylon second) in any future trip to LOS.  This comes with a more liberal view of moneyboys.  I'm in little need of temples, fine restaurants, impressive buildings, spectacular events, or cultural experiences that don't involve the culture, cultivation of pleasure.

at least go , see and try for yourself. It's only way  to assess place properly. In beginning I was not fan of Pattaya at all but it looks that trip after trip I like it better.

And no , not because boys tip are lower as I don't practice much of Pattaya discount.

No impressive buildings but also no shortage of good restaurants if that's  what one goes there. City transports sucks though but due to lack of serious attractions  even this is not much a problem.

at least go , see and try for yourself. It's only way  to assess place properly. In beginning I was not fan of Pattaya at all but it looks that trip after trip I like it better.

And no , not because boys tip are lower as I don't practice much of Pattaya discount.

No impressive buildings but also no shortage of good restaurants if that's  what one goes there. City transports sucks though but due to lack of serious attractions  even this is not much a problem.

Pattaya was my first destination ever in LOS, in 2005. I went from the BKK airport straight to the Ambiance hotel  in Boys Town and stayed there for two days.  Had there my first and only off, very successful.  But BKK was more interesting to me because I have always been a gay sauna person.  Now I am at a stage where I want to try out moneyboys, therefore I'm inclined to include Pattaya in my future trips. I will only need city transport when bars are too far from hotel to walk, and then a city bus may help.  

Why would the Chinese "bring back the luster"? If I were a young Thai, I would much prefer older farangs in good shape over fat Chinese...

Answer is simple: numbers translate into a bettter take at the gate so, as in so many things, it's about money. And I wouldn't be so quick to assume Thai guys--the minority who still go there--prefer "older farangs in good shape" over "fat Chinese." If you haven't been in Bangkok lately you'll be surprised to learn that not all visiting Chinese are fat and many are quite young.

Although I haven't seen the owner of babs for many years, he sure didn't appear to be a farang..

Answer is simple: numbers translate into a bettter take at the gate so, as in so many things, it's about money. And I wouldn't be so quick to assume Thai guys--the minority who still go there--prefer "older farangs in good shape" over "fat Chinese." If you haven't been in Bangkok lately you'll be surprised to learn that not all visiting Chinese are fat and many are quite young.

Although I haven't seen the owner of babs for many years, he sure didn't appear to be a farang..

He is not farang. His name is Khun Tok, maybe misspelled. He is on my facebook page with a different name. A friend of mine who has written a book on the gay Asian scene in various countries interviewed him several tmes. Definitely Thai.

He is not farang. His name is Khun Tok, maybe misspelled. He is on my facebook page with a different name. A friend of mine who has written a book on the gay Asian scene in various countries interviewed him several tmes. Definitely Thai.

Stevie, you claim to have been a regular at Babs for 11 years but couldn't tell the difference between a local and a farang?

Hmmmm.......

Stevie, you claim to have been a regular at Babs for 11 years but couldn't tell the difference between a local and a farang?

Locals and farangs we all belong to the same human species. Differences are only petty. 

I just got on Babylon's facebook page for the first time.  Quite interesting. 

The videos on this page show a quite attractive place, which I find it is still today.

They just had their 30th Aniversary Party... wow!, what other gay saunas last 30 years?

Just read comments from 2007 that the place "is not what it used to be ten years ago..."

This reminds me of the old folks in my childhood (60 years ago?) who swore that everything was better in the past.

It seems that some new old folks today think the same way!  reader? 

I first visited Babylon in 2004 and I first visited their website in 2010 or so (just to check what time they open), so I don't find that particular aspect of Steve's history with them that strange. Also, he didn't say website but Facebook page - I have yet to visit the latter and I'm no stranger to Babylon nevertheless!

ame="reader" post="117217" timestamp="1511675071"]

. A friend of mine who has written a book on the gay Asian scene in various countries interviewed him several tmes. 

I I may ask.... What is the book?   is it a good read?    I have read the "men of thailand" series.

I I may ask.... What is the book?   is it a good read?    I have read the "men of thailand" series.

The book is Imagining Gay Paradise by Gary Atkins.

https://www.amazon.com/Imagining-Gay-Paradise-Bangkok-Cyber-Singapore/dp/9888083244

Going to Cambodia without visiting Angkor Wat would be a shame, like visiting Bangkk and not going to Babylon. A friend of mine spent three days in Siem Rep and saw Angkor by day and twinks by night. It sounded pretty good to me.

Anyone went to Sihanoukville since the last posts? I always like to go to the beach while on vacation and feel it would be a good rest after the visits of Phnom Penh and the temples of Siem Reap.

Travelgayasia now says the OGA bar opened a massage, sauna and spa and there is also a gay friendly hotel

https://www.travelgayasia.com/gay-sihanoukville/

Thanks

That construction looks like bad news, but I would still suggest going now, rather than 20 years when it's all built up.     There were so many beaches & so much open space, even the  Chinese can't have built on it all in the last 5 years.   Besides, the photos of trees back that up.

If you are going outside a peak period, I suspect you do not need to book far in advance, so could check in for 3 days, then could extend your stay, or take the bus up to Thailand.