DivineMadman

Nine Spa (Massage)

Been there twice now, both times unannounced before and could be cared for in 30/40 mins. Choice out of 3-who clearly had worked shifts before.

Place is quite nice, very well kept, looks Japanese in style/service. There Is a minus: as many visits are scheduled by full/half hour and there is just 1 shower/bath for 4 rooms-there can be very long waits for the shower-in my case once >15 mins, where you just sit and look.

Both times got well-trained former barboys, both well used to special treatments, but a little bit too business-like for my ideas.

Thinking of trying them out as well. For me, it's the first time... :D

Guys, what is the customary process of going to such spa? Either for a massage only or with extras?

I gather that you're given an option to select the masseuse that you like via pictures - can the guy be changed if I wish after I arrive for whatever reason or is it expected of me to continue with the whole thing and be smarter next time? What info should I refer prior selection and what info do I receive by default?

What is definitely a no-no in these cases?

Any other tips for a first-timer would be much appreciated!

Cheers! :)

just go and see what happens.

you can change booked boy but both of you  will feel a bit awkward if you book boy A and once inside you exclaim  ", can I have boy B instead "

Massage price and minimum tip will be about only default information you receive. Any special requirements - you need to ask, don't be shy , they saw and heard  it all and more. 

as Thai boy say 'don't think too much ', just try it and you will like it.

I think it would be a bit of a waste to go to a place like this for a massage only.  But of course that's up to you.

- ah, yes, you're propably right, it most certainly would.

The smaller shops where you pre-select from photos in person or via Line aren't going to have lots of guys there for you to chose from if for some reason you don't like the guy you picked.  From their perspective you have sort of undercut their "please book ahead" rationale.  And the guy that you booked ahead will of course be a little miffed.  So I do not think that's the proper way to proceed.  You can just message the shop and say you will would like to visit at whatever time and ask to have a selection of guys available.  They likely will arrange to have a couple/few guys there no problem.  And if they can't do that they will tell you.  But specifically booking a guy and then saying "oh no I think I would like someone else" is a practice that I think you should avoid.  If you want to book via photos it's no problem you can first ask who does what you want, or you can say you are interested in "X" does he do what you want.  (The default is that virtually all guys will top, but often 60% (plus/minus) will be top only.)

- alright, this bit is logical. I was planning on popping into the place and making a selection beforehand. I've been trying to get a hold of some of these places via Line and email already but the results are, let's say, marginal. This top/bottom stuff seems to be a hot topic. Let's assume that I go in to get massage and communicate to mamasan what are my wishes. Let's say he points to two guys and, for whatever reason, there is no click. I assume, based on your explanation that before really making a confirmed selection, I'd be free to negotiate which means that I could very well say "maybe next time" and just leave? I'm asking those questions because I don't want to insult or hurt anyone and at the same time still, well, get what I want. And Thailand has a completely different culture than my own.

At the extreme end of don'ts -- don't wait until the massage is over and say "I didn't enjoy it/it wasn't good I don't want to pay" or something like that.  This sort of thing actually happens.  The gone and not forgotten shop Adonis had a simple rule that if you think it's not working in the first ten minutes then say so and they'll get you a replacement.  That seems a fair rule to me to protect the interests of all concerned.  Don't complain if the guy puts a condom on you to give you a blowjob.  Let him know ahead of time if you have a particular concern or part that needs extra attention.

Communication is key.  One thing I have noted is that even though I have confirmed with the manager what I want when selecting the guy, the manager doesn't necessarily pass that information on to the masseur.  So I usually reconfirm with him as we are walking to the massage room.

- I agree that haggling on price is rude. We should, despite all, remain still honorable.

As Judge Judy says: don't eat whole stake and complain later it wasn't any good - I've got that impression from multiple forum post.

So do all guys at Nine Baantewa and Leo Spa massage you while naked? 

In my experience no.  They start in underwear or briefs, but later those come off at some point during the massage or the fun stuff.  If it's important to you, then the only way to make sure is to tell the manager what you want at the time you book the massage.