TotallyOz

Lurker

Michael has informed me that Lurker passed away in his Hotel.  I have no other information.

Very sad that after spending  so much time planning and thinking about his first trip to Thailand, that this would happen to him in a strange country.

RIP  Lurker

OMFG I am shocked! I met him on Sunday and while he was having health issues as reported in his own report thread, those were clearly not life threatening. He was in good spirits, too. Well I guess better to die while being in good spirits and having fun than having to go to lengthy, tormenting ordeals of decline and disease. But shocking nonetheless, so young too...

while he was having health issues as reported in his own report thread, those were clearly not life threatening.

They were , just nobody realized it.

Now when he died I re-read His thread and he says that his heartburn was 100 more then normal. Only today , after shedding quite a few tears I realized that I heard this phrase before, many years ago when my godmother died suddenly from heart attack.

That's sad , premature and unexpected. Sure better than going through tormenting long decline but too soon being in his 50-ties.

Very sad day on the forum

Wow...I met him in Brasil...was a very nice guy....he was extremely overweight however. I talked to him about his weight and how he needed to do something about his eating habits (notice how many sweets he mentioned taking back to his room)....but in the end, it's our own decisions,lifestyles.... smoking, drinking, eating, fucking, drugs, etc...

Sorry to hear this, he messaged me frequently asking about advice on BKK AND flights. 

Don't remember him talking much about family....not sure if the are aware of it in Thailand, but in the U.S., many police friends have told me it's important to have a contact in your phone labeled ICE (in case of emergency). That way if you are ever found unconscious (and your phone is unlocked/ or can open by fingerprint) they check the phone for an ICE contact for someone to notify...... 

I was aware that heartburn and heart attacks had similar symptoms but this is the first I have read of this in such a way.

Truly very sad to happen to someone while visiting Thailand. 

But in retrospective the symptoms were there and even the doctors were apparently unaware of the cause. RIP.

This is very sad, although at least he got to Bangkok.   

Discussions about the influence of diet & health probably belong in another thread, so I shall not comment.

Such a shocking news indeed. Very sad to hear such news. Makes us realize how fragile human being is and how we should make full use of our life. I am sure lurker had done exactly that, and not letting his health issue getting in the way of having fun in bkk till the very last minute. Wish his family members has been properly notified. And to think that he did recorded his last few days here, he will be forever remembered.

I also feel so sad.  I had empathized with him having such health problems right when he was ready to enjoy himself to the fullest. I am judgmental with people who let themselves get into bad health, but I am less than fair.  It is the unfairness of destiny to give some the opportunity to live a healthy life from the start and preserve it, while others follow innocently the inclinations to enjoy the pleasures of life without the foresight to estimate the consequences.  It is nearly impossible to change habits later in life, and when the reality of the consequences kick in it is often too late.  I should remember this when I get carried away giving advice, but I think that our recommendations were kind and appropriate. It is a pity that we could not help him beyond that.

but in the U.S., many police friends have told me it's important to have a contact in your phone labeled ICE (in case of emergency). That way if you are ever found unconscious (and your phone is unlocked/ or can open by fingerprint) they check the phone for an ICE contact for someone to notify...... 

Does American passport have page where emergency contact can be written?  Low tech approach but highly effective

I am so sorry to hear this, especially when it was obvious he was having so much fun on his first visit to Bangkok.

I also get heartburn (though not so much now I eat a better diet), chronic indigestion (again improved by better diet and not eating late) and have severe heart problems. I don’t find heartburn mimics cardiac symptoms but it is extremely difficult for me to distinguish between chronic indigestion and angina/heart issues. In fact I missed completely having a heart attack early last year having put the symptoms down to other things.

Like all of us, I was following his reports and was finding his adventure entertaining. we were actively corresponding with him, and some met up with him in Bangkok, and then the stunning news.

My only takeaway is this. Don't sweat the small stuff and seize the day. Luker did and so and he did It among new friends.

I feel very sad for him and indeed for any family he had,

It is also something of a warning to many of us of similar or older age, unfit, overweight, who head off to Pattaya to party for a week or so. 

For my part I tend to concentrate on getting my finances bulked-up for the trip, and spend far too little time on getting myself physically fit for the trip. The demands of trying to go from an archair office worker to a night-owling stallion often leaves me dizzy and winded.

Not saying that is what happened to our friend here, I don't know of course, but a lot of us are perhaps more vulnerable to the frailties of age and weight these days than we might care to acknowledge when we are let loose amongst the boy bars of Bangkok and Pattaya.

May he RIP .