ggobkk

November visit - Pattaya then Bangkok

Thanks for the “PM” comments on the format…I agree that the bullet point concept is not a total success, sothere will be more narrative going forward.

Regarding exchange rates, I had the “luck” / misfortune of arriving just as the Thai economy posted better than expected results which drove the THB up and the USD$ down.  The US Congress psycho drama over taxes was also playing out “will they?” or “won’t they?” which impacted the rates.  This is a topic that will come up toward the end of my trip report.

Fitful night of only sort of sleeping in between toilet runs…but improvement noted by dawn…perhaps, there was nothing left to give.  Imodium definitely kicking in…

Decided I could tackle some toast, I went downstairs where Kay, the manager, took my order and inquired after my health – indicating the housekeepers were keeping the desk informed on the guests.

Back in the room, I caught up with my email and news – Van woke up around 10 as he’d fallen asleep sometime after 3am.  He went out for breakfast after checking on me.  When he returned, and I was able to report almost five hours of freedom from bathroom trips and that I was no longer contemplating adult diapers, we discussed the day.

Note: My language skills (Thai, Vietnamese) are minimal…this is also true of Van’s English skills…so our discussions are a mix of familiar gestures, some phrases, and lots of google Translate.

I remembered that my symptoms set in as we were in a shop looking for sandals, not fully sure of the last 24 hours, I asked if he had the sandals?  No.  Let’s go to Central World and look around…I was pretty sure I could handle that and knew there were lots of “western” toilets there.

Baht bus to Central World…it’s a mall in the style of most malls, just in Pattaya it’s giant sized compared to everything else.  When the baht bus turned onto the beach road, I noticed that Van’s eyes grew big at the sight of the activity along the beach and in the water – the parasailers, the boats, etc.  So, when we easily and quickly decided that the mall didn’t have any sandals, we adjourned to the beach.

I sort of sat and listened to the small waves breaking while trying not to look at the stuff that was washing up on the shore.  Van got into a discussion with one of the tattoo artists who tout their skills to the tourists.  Van has a shoulder tattoo that has faded and (he tells me) his friends joke about it…so he is definitely interested in what can be done and how to do it and how long.

Tattoo tout quotes 3000 THB and two hours.  Van looks at me, doesn't ask for money but the look implies he doesn't have that much.  I comment that two hours is a long time for me to be away from the hotel.  Everyone saves some face and the tattoo tout goes off to look for an American female who will want an ankle engraved.

On the way back to the hotel, I mention that I will need to sleep some both due to jet lag and not having had much sleep in the past day and a half.  Van will go off and look for sandals in the shops around Jomtien and Dongtan and check out nearby tattoo shops of which there are many along the baht bus route to the beach.

When I wake up it’s getting dark, Van is watching a video on You Tube.  He shows me his new sandals which clearly look to be sturdier than his borrowed ones.  1400 THB.  Over the years, I’ve come to understand he isn’t the best haggler when it comes to bargaining on a price, but he will walk away and keep shopping and comparing prices until he’s found something he likes at a price he likes.  He used this approach to get his tattoo improved.  The more he shopped around, the more he knew this wasn’t the time or place.

He tells me we are going to shower together so that he can clean my up to go out tonight.  We do, and he does. 

Then to the restaurant in the hotel for dinner…he has Thai and I have a pasta…don’t want to push things…body is repairing itself but don’t want to shock it.

Walk to the beach then back to Jomtien, it’s about 10pm and the bars are in action.  Settle in at @Home.  Some initial awkwardness as the bar boys aren’t sure if they should pay attention for future benefit or just let this “couple” have drinks and watch.

Watching I see lots of bar boys doing their best to attract what appears to be an aging clientele to have drinks.  (Yes, I’m looking in the proverbial mirror).

Van has explained (Viet and Cambodian languages have much in common) that it’s ok for them to sit with me, which a couple charmers to.  One is from Siem Reap and explains to me the complexity of going back and forth to keep his visa in order. 

I use the game plan Van and I had devised and off Mr. Siem Reap (hos name sounded like “sigh”), Van stays at the club for now but will walk back to the beach until I message him.

Sigh and I head back to The Poseidon, ID checked for age (21) short time price agreed at 1300.  Handsome lad, open to all sorts of fun, my body is still recuperating so its all oral and a chuck wow on his part.  Add 500 for a tip… I was happy to know I was still functioning as a living person. 

Texted Van and suggested to meet up at Your Bar…since he can’t read the English signs, I see him wandering around the bars looking for me (at least I think he was looking for me). 

I picked Your Bar as I always have good time there.  I mentioned in the first part of this report that I’d been hoping to find the boy I offed twice back in May…but, again like two nights ago, he wasn’t there.  But others told me they remembered me (and as I remembered them), it wasn't a total scam.  It’s mostly Cambodian with a few Burma boys.  My sought after off is Thai but I think that is an exception.

Several drinks later for the bar boys, it’s now Saturday early morning, Van and I went back to the hotel and to sleep. Plan is to leave for Bangkok at noon

Vinapu's question is apposite; airport rates are higher than those in the city. Best to change-up only what you need to get to your hotel.

Sorry for slightly off topic, but need to comment and update this. Last two trips in Sept/Oct and June/July best rates I received anywhere in Thailand and that includes Superrich, T.T. outlets in Pattaya and Chinese exchange booth in Pattaya was on the lower floor of Suvarnabhumi Airport where you catch BTS/train to city. There are a few Exchange Booths there in competition, Value+ Exchange just beat Superrich and the other exchange booths.

Inside the Airport, on the upper floors the standard bank booth exchange rates were poor in comparison. On Oct trip I changed all my £-Sterling currency on arrival at Airport Value+ booth and didn't see a better rate anywhere on my Thailand travels. 

Value Plus Exchange near Airport Link is probably the best rate in Suvernabhumi airport. However if you are going to exchange foreign currency over $3,000 and like to shop/eat near Central World in Bangkok, it’s still worth going to Superrich Orange or Superrich Green(run by his brother) head office near Ratchadamri Big C.

The main office rate is better than Superrich booths.

Largest denomination is better rate than smaller ones.

I always bring notes in the largest denomination and in a crisp condition as they offen reject notes in bad conditions. Head office is somehow much more stricter than in its branch(booths).

In November, after exchanged at Green Superrich main office, as advised by their staff, I went to Kasikorn Bank nearby and changed to the newest 1000 baht notes since Superrich didn’t have the newest 1000 notes.

People were queuing up to change to the brand new notes and I saw the guy receiving a block of 30cm in all 1000 baht notes. I have never seen that many cash in real life!

Value Plus Exchange near Airport Link is probably the best rate in Suvernabhumi airport. However if you are going to exchange foreign currency over $3,000 and like to shop/eat near Central World in Bangkok, it’s still worth going to Superrich Orange or Superrich Green(run by his brother) head office near Ratchadamri Big C.

The main office rate is better than Superrich booths.

Largest denomination is better rate than smaller ones.

I always bring notes in the largest denomination and in a crisp condition as they offen reject notes in bad conditions. Head office is somehow much more stricter than in its branch(booths).

In November, after exchanged at Green Superrich main office, as advised by their staff, I went to Kasikorn Bank nearby and changed to the newest 1000 baht notes since Superrich didn’t have the newest 1000 notes.

People were queuing up to change to the brand new notes and I saw the guy receiving a block of 30cm in all 1000 baht notes. I have never seen that many cash in real life!

To be honest Jasper I wouldn't go very far out of my way to earn zero point something of a percent for exchange. But at the airport I was able to compare the rates to my usual exchange booths (T.T in Pattaya, Superrich or x-one currency Silom/surawong) on the spot on my smartphone, and on that specific day Value+ at Airport was the best, so it made sense just to get it changed at the Airport. 

But the main point for the post was to advise others that there are very competitive rates at the Airport and you don't only need to change small amounts just to get by for the first day, the rates are good enough to beat well known exchange booths in Pattaya, downtown Silom etc.. for larger sums.

I stopped taking Travel Cheques some years back in favour of high denomination Sterling cash, but yes, as you say, one does need to be aware of just how fussy even the smallest exchange booth can be with note condition. Like you I take crisp notes, in fact now only order new notes from my UK bank head office to guarantee condition.  

Just out of interest why did Green Superrich or indeed yourself feel the need to change Baht notes for brand new one's? Surely the one's you got from Superrich would have been fine. I've never had a Bt1000 note rejected anywhere in Thailand over 18 years...

Nothing held back and all options available and I chose most of them.  We each came, and he had enough reserve power to end with a final chuck wow.  After we showered together, I tipped him 350 which was all I had left in my wallet. 

I like way you described that meeting telling  all without graphics.

Hope that 350 was on top of negotiated 2000 , not instead although 2000 short time is still quite generous .

Glad to hear that fun is still to be had in soi Twilight despite gloom prophesied from time to time on the forums

Was Hack's number 20 or 22?

I remembered being taken in by 20 and 22 when I visited Hot Male in September?

I must admit before I leave for Thailand, I make notes on the numbers mentioned by forum members (e.g. VInapu).  But once I get there, I forget to reference them.  As for myself, I know them in the moment but don't remember the numbers.

If it's any help, Hack is one of the coyote dancers - the one's who dance on the corners of the stage.  He is also (or was when I was there) the center boy in the hot wax number in the show.  Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Rely neither on numbers, nor on many of the guys you see still working at the same bar during the next visit. This was a lesson I learnt painfully on my second trip to Thailand in 1997. All those plans! The same is true, by the way, of hornet and Planet Romeo.

what is even more painful is that such a dreamed about boy is there but  turns out not to be as attractive as our memories carried him and we are wondering where our eyes were at the first place. This is usually on second trip when we are not as experienced / jaded as later on.

This is my memory of my second trip in 2002, had it later as well but that one was more stressful.

My experience with hotels and booking is to keep trying and to use multiple booking sites.  Rooms are released at various times and some only to a favored site.  I've been told no one was available at The Raya, only to find it available on Agoda two days later.

That said, you are look at a high point in high season, good luck and have a great time wherever you settle.