Jasper

Bangkok Michelin Restaurants – the Michelin Guide

First Bangkok Michelin Guide announced today.

️ Three Restaurants including famous Gaggan

️ 14 restaurants including a ‘street shop’ Jay Fai

Personally I am happy to see Jok Prince mentioned as Inspectors’ favourites for good value.

https://guide.michelin.com/th/en/bangkok/restaurants/page/1?max=30&sort=relevance&order=desc

Guest RWG1226

I had visited Gaggan on my prior visit 3 years ago and from my visit last week I can say it’s s totally different restaurant now. Before it was an excellent Indian restaurant. Now it’s an international haut gourmet spot. The menu is a set 25 one bite courses. While the flavor profile is Indian to some degree, but it would be misleading to describe it as an Indian restaurant. It was very very good and even at 5,000 baht much cheaper than you would pay in the US or Europe, but I miss what used to seem like the best Indian restaurant on the planet. And, by the way, you did leave satisfied.

t was very very good and even at 5,000 baht much cheaper than you would pay in the US or Europe, but I miss what used to seem like the best Indian restaurant on the planet. 

For my personal use , while I can imagine spending that kind of money on a long time off  , no matter how hungry I was I'd never spent that much on a meal, particularly in BKK.  Long live Foodland , Patpong , zero Michelin stars

I am with vinapu with food, i go for value in most of the thing i need, but that doesnt mean i always goes for the cheapest. Best bang for the bucks as people say it, so if i can get a 5 star hotel at 3 star price, im all for that lol. Food has always been cheap in where i live so i cant stomach eating lavishly unless its someone else paying lol

I like visiting new restaurants on my Bangkok trips since prices are reasonable compare to my home country.

Here is some photos from my November trip.

Photo 1.Royal Orchid Sheraton Seafood BBQ dinner buffet. 30% discount using EATIGO app.

https://m.eatigo.com/th/en/bangkok/index/?from=&

Photo 2.Baan Phadthai

Photo 3 &4 .Baan Isaan Mueang Yot

post-15769-0-58536900-1512928837_thumb.jpeg

post-15769-0-52637000-1512929449_thumb.jpeg

post-15769-0-39646000-1512930064_thumb.jpeg

post-15769-0-08941800-1512930129_thumb.jpeg

I am with vinapu with food, i go for value in most of the thing i need, but that doesnt mean i always goes for the cheapest. Best bang for the bucks as people say it, so if i can get a 5 star hotel at 3 star price, im all for that lol. Food has always been cheap in where i live so i cant stomach eating lavishly unless its someone else paying lol

I am with him too.  Even after winning the lottery I would go for value, Not one buck more than the best bang.  When a 3 star hotel gives me all I need, 5 stars are two wasted ones.  Same with food.

Excerpts from the Independent (UK)

istock-517866622.jpg

Raan Jay Fai is known for its crab omelettes

Receiving a Michelin Star may be one of the highest honours bestowed on a chef - but for one street vendor in Bangkok, life, before she received the star, was preferable - and she would like to give the star back.

The vendor, which can be found on the corner of Soi Samran Rat in the Phra Nakhon area of Bangkok, used to be relatively inconspicuous.

Now, since receiving her one Michelin Star in December, the vendor is hard to miss - because the line for her food wraps around the block.

While this may sound like a good thing, for Supinya Junsuta, who goes by Jay Fai, the attention has been unwanted - and unwelcome.

According to reports by Eater, the distinction has “drawn the attention of tourists, foodies, and even a couple of curious tax department officials to Raan Jay Fai’s small space.”

And now Jay Fai, the 72-year-old chef whose crab omelettes are responsible for drawing the crowd, wants to give the star back because, in addition to the crowds, the star has caused other annoyances.

Fai said: “Many people come just to see and take pictures and not necessarily to eat.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/bangkok-street-vendor-michelin-star-raan-jay-fai-give-back-a8150341.html

An 800 baht omelette!

Not what i think of when I think of street food. And this pic of Jay Fai (from Eater website) looks more like a small restaurant than the typical Bangkok cooked food vendor.  I think it's hard to top Vinapu's zero-star nominee, Pat Pong's Foodland restaurant where it's difficult to spend 100 baht for your choice of eggs. And when your appetite is sated, you're only steps away (in any direction) from the other pleasures of your choice.

jay_fai.0.jpeg

Here is their famous crab omelette priced 800 Baht.

I am a very plain person, so I find 26 US dollars for an omelette a little high, even if it is a crab omelette...

When I am in BKK staying at the Babylon barracks, I can get all the omelettes I want in their free (included) breakfast. And what I pay for the room each day is less than the cost of two Raan Jai Fai's omelettes.  Let's say that the nutrition of these two omelettes are equivalent to three Babylon omelettes plus all the abundant food I stuff myself with in their buffet breakfasts. Then, if I discount the 1,600 baht equivalent of the buffet breakfast, all the rest of my stay is free, including the nice room with boys in the rooms around, and the entrance to the sauna with some nice boys and other interesting people around.

To each their own. Bangkok has developed a sophisticated culinary scene, and I personally love to splurge on an exceptional meal, even if only very occasionally. I totally get that some people are not interested in that - but then why comment?

I personally have zero interest in opera, but I would never post about the high cost of opera tickets. The fact that I might prefer to stay home and listen to the radio for free is of no interest to the artists who create opera or to the fans who might save up for months to attend a performance.

I have been to three restaurants on that list. Only Le Normandie lived up to expectations. But then I was not paying so it was doubly excellent LOL

Went with friends to Le Du for dinner soon after it opened. Excellent cuisine and great (quite cute) service. A bit like the late lamented Table de Tee although a notch higher in quality and price. So I took a friend for lunch a few days later. Price was good. All went well until dessert. My friend ordered just a double espresso. I chose a banana cake in some kind of sauce. The espresso arrived. We then waited and waited - and waited. After 30 minutes I was on the point of just giving up. I asked the waiter (not cute) if they had forgotten my order. No, I was told. They just make each little banana cake from scratch and it takes time. When I asked why that was not printed on the menu or why he had not told me when it was ordered, I got the usual blank face and a sort of "sorry". Never been back.

Soon after it opened, I had so many friends rave about Nahm we decided to try it. Four of us were seated at a table that was too high and too wide. Big mistake Almost impossible to chat unless you leant over the table. We ordered and specifically asked that the spices be medium, definitely not hot. No problem. Every dish came as though it was on fire and we could hardly eat them. Worse, from beginning to end the waiter never once smiled. Again, never been back.

5 hours ago, Michael said:

The 2021 version is out. I'm making a New Year's resolution to visit some of these places in 2021.

https://www.timeout.com/bangkok/news/michelin-guide-thailand-2021-121620

Foodland Patpong  and Madrid Tavern are sadly missing on that list and so is Alt Heldelberg and Salt and Pepper in Pattaya

There are a couple of nice vegetarian stalls in the food court just along from Nature Boys, although only open until about 13:00 on weekdays.   A good way to eat well for about 50 baht.