TomNg

Need hotel recommendation..

Look at Airbnb. For $30.00 a night you can get a nice one bedroom. I stopped staying in hotels in Bangkok about 5 years ago. For trips of over a week, condos are a great bargain.

Hi Paul,

Do you know any nice, clean apartment to recommend?  I used to stay at Klass condo in silom but i believed they are sold out too.

In your three week vacation i would recommend you spend a couple of days at the Babylon barracks, although I see that they are fully booked on the days of their big events, but they have openings in the barrack rooms in January. You can go  to the sauna on December 31 for the foam party, if you arrive early to get in.

In your three week vacation i would recommend you spend a couple of days at the Babylon barracks, although I see that they are fully booked on the days of their big events, but they have openings in the barrack rooms in January. You can go  to the sauna on December 31 for the foam party, if you arrive early to get in.

He's leaving on Jan 1st unless I'm reading it wrong.

I looking for a proper hotel that I can go with straight friends.

don't sweat this stuff , any hotel is both gay and straight friendly, I even saw single ladies and elderly couples in BBB Inn, Tarntawan is no longer gay hotel.

Any place along Silom or Suriwong is close to BTS/ Subway and great shopping , short hop / 2-3 stations on BTS / brings you to even greater shopping along Sukhumvit  

What do you mean about Tarntawan? No longer a gay hotel?

from recent reports after ownership change  mixed gender couples are often in plain view, no personal experience since though as Tarntawan for me is a height of unaffordable luxury and last time  stay there exactly 3 years ago.

Any good hotels that allow guest to be brought back at night without questions.

Near subway is important. Good shopping added advantage.

If you are looking for 5 star hotel in Silom area, both Le Meridien Bangkok on Surawong and Crowne Plaza are well known for joiner free.

from recent reports after ownership change  mixed gender couples are often in plain view, no personal experience since though as Tarntawan for me is a height of unaffordable luxury and last time  stay there exactly 3 years ago.

It seems that we both agree that luxury, even affordable, is a very devalued commodity in a vacation.

It seems that we both agree that luxury, even affordable, is a very devalued commodity in a vacation.

we do,  although I don't think people indulging in luxuries on vacations are doing anything wrong if this is what rocks their boat. 

After all there are guides on the shelves who devote great chunk  of capacity to describe various food and accommodation options at destination leaving precious little space for more touristy ,sightseeing stuff so obviously there's market.

Then there are those who debate at length merits of airlines  , airport lounges and favorite seats on board, obviously it matters to them. 

I myself given chance  don't mind splurging here and there on food and hotels but with age comes experience and it tells me  that often difference in cost is much higher than  service it pays for . If I sleep soundly in 30$ Nantra Silom I will not likely be sleeping better in 70$ Raya to mention my two favorite Silom places.

After 3 hours of flight  I'm ready to hang myself and only reason I don't do it is lack of tree aboard of the aircraft and it has nothing to do with quality of seat or foods, being confined it what tires me.

But one can't by entirely frugal and have a fun in life, it's where my tipping practice , often condemned here for spoiling market for others , comes to level field with those  hotel types who at the same breath sing praises for their 5 star digs and   complain about drink prices and greedy boys with inflating tip expectations. 

So it looks we all have our strengths and weaknesses when comes to consumption,

What do you mean about Tarntawan? No longer a gay hotel?

Tarntawan was my home base since my very first trip in '02 and continued to be up until about four years ago. Japanese businessmen were always frequent guests and regularly brought their lady friends back in the evening. Although the weekly manager's cocktail parties were dominated by gay clientele, others were always represented and welcome. While I thought of it as a place where gays could feel quite comfortable and appreciated, I never considered it a "gay" hotel of the type that you might find in Pattaya or Puerto Vallarta.

Whenever I return to Bangkok, I always stop by to say hello to two of the staff most familiar to regulars: Mac (one of the three original bell staff) and the ever-smiling elevator guard. Mac, who has taken on some front-office duties, brings me up tp date on what's happening.  Gays no longer dominate but still have a presence. In other words, Tarntawan is like every other hotel in the Silom area.

Btw, Mac can frequently be found evenings in the lobby of the Tarntawan Apartments (corner Surawong and Soi Tarntawan) where he maintains an amulet display counter.

I looking for a proper hotel that I can go with straight friends.

Understand the need for a 'proper' hotel. Try Holiday Inn brands, there are quite a few around town, not expensive generally.

A few Marriots as well but have no personal experience bringing in guests. LeMeridien at Surawong is also a good, newish hotel; did not check the price this time of the year though.

If you are looking for 5 star hotel in Silom area, both Le Meridien Bangkok on Surawong and Crowne Plaza are well known for joiner free.

Did you mean no joiner fee?

Crown Plaza is kind of a hassle, one needs to 'make a transit' on floor 23(?) which could be problematic for the shy. Not sure CP is considered 5 star; certainly the property on Rama 4 is tired.

Tarntawan Apartments are managed by Lukas, who used to manage the Tarntawan Hotel and hosted the cocktail parties mentioned in reader's report.  Rates are friendly, though I have yet to stay there.

I stayed at Tarntawan Apartments on previous trip. Found it to be a good value, very clean with full kitchen and microwave.  Only downside was the ancient mattress.