forky123

June - Weather, boys?

Normally I go to LoS either Oct/Nov or Feb/Mar. Next year for various reasons I can’t go my “normal” times but I have found a really great deal for end of June. I’m wondering how the weather is late June. Not just the rain, but also heat/humidity? How quiet is it that time of year? Any experiences or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

June is one of the hottest months.  Some years June is very rainy and sometimes not.

June is low season, so expect it to be quiet.  Right now is high season and quite frankly this year so far I see very little difference between low season and now.

These days it's difficult to predict how many boys will be around, but there is usually a good assortment.  And with fewer farang coming to Thailand, especially in June, you'll very likely have your choice, with little or no competition for your favorite boys.

I visited in Jun in 2013, 2015 and 2016, heat while oppressive was still bearable and rain scarce . Like gaybutton above I noticed very little difference between Jun and Dec visited in the same years plus 2014.

Customers are scarcer and a bit less boys available as well but easier to get good flight and hotel deals in Jun.

Go in Jun and you will be as happy as every other month. Biggest noticeable difference is in weather which is at her best now but this window is short, perhaps 6 weeks before heat returns with vengeance. 

Have visited BKK in June three times, the latest was this year.  Seems as you get closer to July, greater chance of evening showers. Echo what others have said about the advantages.

At the moment, the weather in Bangkok has turned cool.  Got email from a guy there reporting daytime high yesterday in mid 20's and windy. That's cold to locals but ideal for me.

I have been to Thailand dozens of times, always in high season. But I went once in June. Downpours and thunderstorms almost every day, but only for an hour or two. I thought the weather was exciting and fun. I went to Babylon and even in my early 60s, I was VERY popular, with a couple of beautiful twinks, one hot miscle guy, and some of those 40ish Issan farmers. It was the most fun I'd ever had there in probably 25 years of visits. I never have that kind of luck in January.

My last trip was in August / September. I've only visited the region a few times, but this was my first trip during 'wet season'.

Even though I still enjoyed my trip, I would be a bit hesitant to go again at this time of year. I love the tropical thunder storms and enjoy the fact the rain refreshes everything, but when the streets inevitably flooded (both in Bangkok and Phnom Penh), it really was a bit shit and quite inconvenient (especially if it was during the evening when you were out drinking and most likely not wearing clothes / shoes suitable for wading through water; also getting caught in even thirty seconds of downpour can mean you're drenched through and then to go and sit in an air-conditioned bar can mean you freezer your ass off!!).

In regards to how quiet the bars can be..yes, that can be entertaining, as you're the centre of attention, but can also be a bit tiring / off-putting, as when you're the only customer in the bar and all the boys are just staring at you the whole time hoping for an off it can be a bit disconcerting!!  :shok: .

Having said that though, of course I'd be happy to be there any time of the year!!  :good:

I have been to Thailand dozens of times, always in high season. But I went once in June. Downpours and thunderstorms almost every day, but only for an hour or two. I thought the weather was exciting and fun. I went to Babylon and even in my early 60s, I was VERY popular, with a couple of beautiful twinks, one hot miscle guy, and some of those 40ish Issan farmers. It was the most fun I'd ever had there in probably 25 years of visits. I never have that kind of luck in January.

I think you had the right experience.  When I went to Babylon for the first time in April 2005 I was also VERY popular there, and also in my 60s!  Since then I have been staying in their barracks in multiple trips to BGK, and more or less popular I always have had a good time there.

In the low season all the falangs are very 'popular' due the simple fact that there are less customers for the Thai boys .

In Babylon, where Faranglaw was writing about, we are not so much "customers" for the Thai boys but rather "opportunities".

1 The DIFFERENCE between weather at home and in Thailand is a factor. In December, it is almost guaranteed to he cold at home and warm & dry in central Thailand (even if the current 2 day damp spell is the worst I have seen in 10 years). In June, we could even have good weather at home.

2 Many employers close for about 10 days at the end of the year. Since that's time off work anyhow, it makes sense to book more time off & go to Thailand.

I am currently in Bangkok and will be here till February. I've been here 5 times prior over the past two years. I've visited during March 2016, June 2016 and 2017, August 2017, and October 2017. The weather during this current visit has been absolutely fantastic. I don't sweat while walking around and it doesn't feel like a steam room outside. However, the increase in crowds EVERYWHERE is simply unbelievable for me. I personally would rather deal with the hot humid weather over the large crowds and higher hotel prices.

Over the last 20 years I’ve made a great number of trips to Thailand, principally to Pattaya, at various times of the year. The only times I avoid are Christmas / New Year ( say 15 December to 15January) and Songcran in April. Coming from the North West of England the differences in rainfall or temperature really don’t register with me. Ok November to March hotel prices are higher but that cost is a relatively minor part of the trip budget.

The number of attractive boys seems to adjust to the number of gay customers in town. If there are a good number, the boys call their friends in Isaan who get on the bus to service the demand. Classic economics.

well said ! after all boys are primary consideration and weather is secondary , far , far behind

Since boys are the primary consideration, and you deal with them in your hotel room, you can make your own "weather" there. Turn the air conditioner to maximum cold, and the boys under the covers will deliciously cling onto you as tight as they can, making you forget about the time of the year.

Since boys are the primary consideration, and you deal with them in your hotel room, you can make your own "weather" there. Turn the air conditioner to maximum cold, and the boys under the covers will deliciously cling onto you as tight as they can, making you forget about the time of the year.

Sounds tempting but only sounds, turning A/C too low during hot spell  is dangerous to our health when we are moving from very cold inside / room , bus train , car  /  to very hot outside, brisk business for pharmacies selling aspirin and the like in summer.

In Thailand never ever I set a/c to lower then +26 Celsius and often feel sorry for a boys barely dressed shivering in the bars under A/C draft.

As for boys clinging  to me tightly  I have better invention  , not necessarily cheaper though. It's called tip negotiated in advance, works 87.63 % of the time

Sorry for restarting an old post, but I I am planning a trip and have the same doubts.

I may have some free days in the middle of June/beginning of July.

From my understand it is the rainy  season but BKK bars and massage places would not be that much affected (maybe less boys but also less customers).

It would be my first time in the LOS, so:

1) Would the weather affect visiting the touristic spots in BKK?

2) Which city would be a good complement for my trip?

I've spent every June in Thailand this century , staying throughout  the country from Krabi in the south to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai in the north.   The weather will not affect your enjoyment though it may curtail some time spent on the beach, if that is important to you.  The guys will be there, eager to meet due to the relatively low numbers of falangs. And, if you are a sauna-enthusiast,  you are in luck; Babylon will provide a more productive afternoon than in the high season. for the same reason. 

Bring an umbrella; short, intense showers are a possibility. In Pattaya, there is a possibility of localised short-term  flooding- I once saw a Thai catching two fish outside Ambiance. Two hours later, the soi was merely damp. I'll be in Bangkok, Krabi and Pattaya this June. And I can't wait.

As for other places to visit, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are my favourite cities, Krabi  has my favourite beaches and, for the gay scene, Pattaya and Jomtien are by far the best.

Thank you @Londoner  and @kokopelli!

I am more into history/culture than beaches. I hate to change hotels during trips, so for a 10-14 days stay I would like to visit 3 cities at most (can add more with day trips).

I think  BKK is a must do for a first timer.

Would you add Pattaya and Chiang Mai?

I heard that the islands (Koh Samui, Koh Tao e Koh Phagan) have less rain than the rest of the country in June.

I also want to visit Ayutthaya, but probably in a day trip. (From Bangkok or Chiang May).

10 minutes ago, lopes said:

I also want to visit Ayutthaya, but probably in a day trip. (From Bangkok or Chiang May).

easy to do from Bangkok and you will like it, hop on the 8.20 train,  at 10 you will be there, hire taxi at the station for day trip - they are prepared with photos of places they will take you to.

Well before dark you should be back in BKK

Yes, ayutthaya is definite doable by day trip, i did write my report about that. Though, to be frank, i got templed out quite soon so my trip ended after lunch lol if u want to take the train, do always check their schedule, online as well as at the station when you arrive since sometimes they change the time. 

And if u like culture/history, kanchanaburi death railway trip is worth it as well. There is a weekend special train going to that place in the early morning, and u can only buy the ticket at hua lamphong station. Wrote my report on this as well, but unsure if its still operating or not. But if u really like history, some people suggested to actually stay there for a night or two and explore the rail track by foot.