forky123

June - Weather, boys?

On 4/10/2019 at 3:28 AM, lopes said:

I heard that the islands (Koh Samui, Koh Tao e Koh Phagan) have less rain than the rest of the country in June.

I cannot see why they should have less rain, they are not that far from the mainland.

Anyway the main point is that you will find little or no gay life there!

Pattaya is a must for first time visitors and even regulars.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:33 AM, Londoner said:

As for other places to visit, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are my favourite cities, Krabi  has my favourite beaches and, for the gay scene, Pattaya and Jomtien are by far the best.

Out of curiosity: why is Chiang Rai a favorite of you ? I visited last October and no gay scene to speak off, gay massage hard to come buy.  I went to see the white temple and Mae Sai and Golden Triangle. But the city itself is not that interesting, or did I miss something ? 

13 minutes ago, abidismaili said:

Out of curiosity: why is Chiang Rai a favorite of you ? I visited last October and no gay scene to speak off, gay massage hard to come buy.  I went to see the white temple and Mae Sai and Golden Triangle. But the city itself is not that interesting, or did I miss something ? 

The Black House near Chiang Rai is also worth a visit

3 hours ago, gerefan said:

I cannot see why they should have less rain, they are not that far from the mainland.

The reason for these islands having less rain in June is their geographic location in the south east of Thailand just to the east of the hilly land running south to Malaysia.  This results in the islands being more exposed to the north east monsoon season (weather coming from Pacific) rather than the south west monsoon season (from Indian Ocean) which affects most of Thailand.

Correct; beachlovers wanting reliable weather in June to October should stay in Koh Samui rather than (for instance) Phuket or Pattaya. 

As far as Chiang Rai is concerned, I visit with my boyfriend  and enjoy the surrounding countryside, particularly Mai Sai and Chaeng Saen.  The city has my favourite night market in Thailand which is particularly good for hill-tribe produce.   The Black House, as traveller123 suggests, is interesting....and bizarre!

Gay travellers seeking  a commercial scene will be disappointed.

Chiang Rai is a great place for a couple of days - its a cheap 1 hr flight from Bangkok.  I'm not sure about the Night Market, but on Saturdays there is a walking street of about 500m. Very many food stalls selling northern food. People very friendly.

We went to Black House, but never went in....At the entrance I witnessed a Thai car driver first slowly knock into a dog, and rather than reverse back, the driver proceeded to run the poor thing over. I jumped off the back of the motorcy and shouted at the driver. BF was totally mortified at me loosing my temper. I had to explain that Brits are renown for preferring animals to people. Anyway, neither of us were in the mood to go inside the Black House.

Chiang Rai like Chiang Mai has terrible smog from forest and field burning. Check before you go  http://aqicn.org/city/mueang-chiang-rai/