TotallyOz

RIP Rainwalker

Guest travelerjim

A sad day for those who knew Rainwalker... A fine gentleman from Canada who loved Thailand. I will miss his smile and the good times in past seated on Dongtan Beach or at breakfast together. Quietly... He truly helped many a Thai in need of medical care. His beloved partner from NYC is now in Pattaya and they were enjoying good times together once again. Sadly those times now are memories of their many years together.

Harold Gershuny... Rainwalker was a man with a passion for life. On his large motorbike he cruised throughout Thailand... As well as across Canada and the United States of America.

RIP Harold. You will be missed greatly by many people who had the opportunity to know and be with you.

Tj

Guest travelerjim

Michael.

As a close friend of Rainwalker you may wish to share a bit of Harold's past as a DJ in Winnipeg Canada. I have read a few clippings.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/flower-powers-hour-260569971.html

Winnipeg radio in the '60s was still very much an AM-radio, Top-40 format. Then, in 1968, came Now Flower, 92.1 CKY-FM's experiment with a free-form 'anything goes' rock format. Despite being on the air for only three years, the program was revolutionary for its time and had a major impact on local radio.....

Other Now Flower hosts included Dennis James, Bill Gray and Harold "Gersh" Gershuny, who handled the 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. slot. "Now Flower was definitely Jan's baby in tone and practice," notes Gershuny. "He was laid-back, easy to talk to, and had an encyclopedic knowledge of music. I was just a Jewish kid working out his neuroses on air. I loved the sound of my own voice and occasionally I would have to rein myself in. I recall getting into a half-hour discussion with another gentleman live on air about the origin of the word f—k. A friend of mine had come off the road hitchhiking for a couple of months so I put him on to talk about his experiences."

Harold was part of the Flower Power DJ Team which transformed the music being played on the radio in the 1960-70 era

Funeral Services for Harold Gershuny aka Rainwalker will be held in Pattaya at Wat Pho Samphan on Saturday and Sunday at 6 pm and cremation at 1 pm on Monday 29, January.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wat+Pho+Samphan/@12.9616221,100.8917967,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3102be0962ff9c51:0xa7fbd9e1ccc3e1f5!8m2!3d12.9616169!4d100.8939908?hl=en-TH

Latest news from Ricky Hunter regarding Harold's funeral:

To Harold Gershuny’s friends in Pattaya, there will be two events at this temple tomorrow, Saturday. At 3:00 will be a body washing/viewing and at 7:00 a ceremony. There will be another ceremony on Sunday. The final event will be the cremation on Monday, time to be determined. Please come by and let others know.

I only had the pleasure of meeting Rainwalker once or twice, but we'd emailed and exchanged messages on the board quite a number of times over the 15 years or so I've been visiting Thailand. He was always helpful with his replies, and a pleasant person to chat with. I'll miss that, and I offer my good thoughts to him, wherever he is now. 

I hope his passing was gentle.

Guest travelerjim

Just posted on Gaybutton...

I'm sorry for the short notice, but I only just now got the word.

The cremation is TODAY, Monday, January 29, at 3:00pm