Londoner

Jomtien accommodation

The Poseidon is definitely 4*, I've been a guest there three times and its very gay friendly and the staff is attentive and service excellence is intuitive.  Restaurant is OMG great!  Higher price point than Agate. 

I've heard good things about Venue and if you want to stay at the beach, BBB Inn is a good choice and a short walk to Jomtien complex.  

Last year at this time, I weighed in on how pleased I was at the Agate hotel...

Well, I am back!

The places retains its very high standards (although the buffet breakfast could use a bit of a freshening up, hehe...) BUT they are definitely marketing themselves to a demographic other than the readers of this website.

If you looking for a gay establishment as traditionally defined, this is not the place for you. But if a little bit of diversity is ok with you, for 1500B/night the place is super comfortable (and well located!)

If you looking for a gay establishment as traditionally defined, this is not the place for you. But if a little bit of diversity is ok with you, for 1500B/night the place is super comfortable (and well located!)

I'd say all four hotels in Complex / Agate, Zing, The Venue and Poseidon /  are well located for what we need.

I stay in The Venue in June for 2 nights and loved it.

As a follow -up to my  January post about Agate, we stayed there in June and were delighted. So much so that we are booked for both October and January. Better prices are offered by contacting the hotel direct rather than using the agencies.

The hotel is unquestionably gay-friendly but mynakedtop is correct in his assertion that we are not a majority there!

the Poseidon and maybe the Venue can be described as Gay Hotels, with Zing and Agate being only gay friendly. I recently stayed at Zing and encountered no problems, bring back boys. I had a pool side room with a separate sitting area which was very nice. The pool is of a reasonable size for excercise swimming, which is not the case at the Agate, and I had a boy with me on several occasions whilst sitting there as did several others with their Thai boyfriends.

Guest frequentflier

The Poseidon is great and guests are mostly gay as is the staff.The Agate is gay friendly.I stayed there in March but not sure if I will return.When I was there it was mostly straight couples and and got a few unfriendly stares at breakfast.

The Agate was quiet when we were there and we take breakfast early  so the opportunities of our coming into contact with unpleasant guests was limited. Only once in Thailand- it was in Chiang Rai many years ago- have we met unwelcoming stares at breakfast. British ones  by the way.

My Thai boyfriend is as sensitive as me- if not more so- and any such reactions would lead to a cancellation of our bookings.But the staff were ostentatiously friendly and welcoming to a Thai/falang, mixed-age couple. Gay receptionist too. 

My partner and I stayed at The Agate in June on our fourth visit.

We are a 35 year old and 71 year old and we probably act like the 10 year married couple we are.

Although straight couples and families stay there we have never received any odd looks or any reaction to make us feel uncomfortable.

However perhaps if you are a guy my age staying with an 18/20 year old different lad every night iother guests might have a different reaction - which is not to suggest I condone their unfriendly stares in any way

Just completed five night stay there, and I have nothing but good things to say about the place.

The staff was particularly welcoming and always friendly, and I got the feeling that they were very happy to have a member of the "brotherhood" staying with them.

But, yet, fickle minds want to know.... I have done my research and have found very little information about another place that I am curious about - the not exactly in Jomtien BAAN SOUY - their website is nice, but it seems quite expensive.

Worth it, perhaps?

Thanks!

Traveller 123....71 and 35 are our ages too. The prime of life, don't you agree? Sadly, only one of us has kept his looks.

Mynakedtop....you need to consider the distance between Baan Souy and restaurants/bars/shops. It is certainly said to be beautiful and up-market....but I don't believe it to be exclusively gay. I've never stayed there so I am ready to be corrected

I've stayed at Baan Souy.  It's quite nice and the staff is wonderful and I believe it does very much market itself as a "gay" resort.   http://www.baansouy.com 

Understandably, it has more of a resort vibe than the hotels in the middle of things.  The tradeoff is it's not in the middle of the action.  I like to walk a lot and I thought it was an ok walk to Jomtien, but for most people car/taxi/motocy is probably a more realistic and pleasant alternative.  With most people bouncinging around between Jomtien and the other neighborhoods, it's just another "bounce."  

Having said all that, when I do go to Pattaya (which is unfortunately not that often) I prefer to stay closer to the action and when I want a resort experience I look elsewhere.

Yes. Zing is very gay friendly. No problem with boys either at the reception or at the restaurant. Staff is friendly rooms are clean, serviced every day and good value for money.

I stayed there twice and going again next January.

Having been a fan of the Agate for a couple of years, I returned earlier this year to Baan Souy and consider it to be better all round than the Agate (poolside rooms, all day restaurant). It's more expensive, but personally I think it worth it. Zing I stayed at a year ago and found it very run down.

I've stayed at Baan Souy.  It's quite nice and the staff is wonderful and I believe it does very much market itself as a "gay" resort.   http://www.baansouy.com

Understandably, it has more of a resort vibe than the hotels in the middle of things.  The tradeoff is it's not in the middle of the action.  I like to walk a lot and I thought it was an ok walk to Jomtien, but for most people car/taxi/motocy is probably a more realistic and pleasant alternative.  With most people bouncinging around between Jomtien and the other neighborhoods, it's just another "bounce."  

Having said all that, when I do go to Pattaya (which is unfortunately not that often) I prefer to stay closer to the action and when I want a resort experience I look elsewhere.

Interesting point...

Makes me wonder whether or not in my love/hate relationship with Pattaya the chance to be there but in a setting somewhat removed from the craziness might just be right for me.... but understand that "where I am coming from" is as a New York on a vacation away from a very intense urban setting.

Sometimes the hustle/hassle of the "everyday" in Pattaya gets to me in a way that Bangkok-life does not. Know what I mean -- why should (just about) every interaction be a struggle there, right?

We have previously stayed at Baan Souy, whilst it is a very good resort with spacious rooms and a nice pool, I just like the location of The Agate, it is hassle free, step outside the door for The Venue cabaret and Jomtien Bars, a few minutes walk to the beach and Baht buses into Pattaya.

I'll be in Pattaya for a weekend later this month.  I booked The Poseidon where I've stayed on my last three visits.  Very helpful staff, involved (in a positive way) manager, comfortable and sound proofed rooms, and incredible food.  I stopped comparison pricing last year and just email Heiko my travel dates.  (I email early if visit is in a high season).  For this August's weekend visit, junior suite 2,000 baht/night.