ggobkk

Weaker $ = makes America Great gain

There's only one place where I have  had regular problems getting in....and even more so, getting out; Israel. 

I'm surprised that Israel is such a police state!  And why would they be more rigorous on exit than on entry?  Afraid that some tourist leaves with stolen Torah rolls from some synagogue? 

Their logic beggars belief.   Not like that kind of question would deter drug dealers or terrorists is it ?

Slow & stupid immigration procedures do not make a country great.   If they had any sense, known people entering from their more reliable allies should be able to go through unmanned gates that scan the passport, take a photo & perhaps a finger print.   20 seconds should do it.

We actually did that by law in 2004, and they are still moving forward with (sic) all government speed.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics

Haven't been to the UK for about seven years. Do they have those unmanned gates now for citizens of allied nations?

Yes, although the definition of allied nations for that purpose is only EU & EEA (I would extend it).    It took about 30 seconds to get in through Heathrow on the last 2 trips.

One would think the US would have that for at least its own citizens & those of Canada.   

as I mentioned in another thread not long ago - arguing with people with power  is like kissing lion's ass - doubtful pleasure but big danger but as survivor of two car crashes and eye witness of two coup d'etats I'm brave enough to try again, LOL

First , contrary to what you think , I do and do very well, even more , my statistic sample contains more than one country in " my own" capacity.

Second, I have no idea why you brought Canada to discussion as nowhere in my post I compared US entry to that of other countries, including Canada, I  was tempted to bring former USSR into equation but left it out to avoid shaming  USA even more.

Third , I clearly said that FOR ME American border in least pleasant to cross, carefully avoiding any generalizations.

Certainly leader of free world should not take any pride in having border procedures comparable to that of third  world dictatorship , no matter what excused will be used. 

I will continue visiting USA as all my American friends know since I promised to attend their funerals although not necessarily before that.

Reason I'm so tickled with USA border procedures is exactly that, going to funeral in full regalia, black suit tie etc  border officials found it  necessary to ask me with whom I'm living and if my home is rented or owned. I'm kidding you not.

First I did not mean for it to seem like an argument. Just pointing out some experiences I have had. I would have to be illiterate or my memory failed not to know you are from Canada since I always read your posts. Because of that I thought it was germane to point out my experiences in entering  your country.  Just to be sure that you know how miserable your country can be for a border crossing as also mentioned here by another member.

For Z909 if entering country is so easy for a non citizen then maybe that is why you have so many terrorist attacks in the last 15 years.

Bottom Line it is a dangerous world and although I may complain about entering a country or even leaving one , I would like to think the plane will not be blown up by a terrorist.

Been a few years since I have been to Israel but without getting into the politics , I'm sure there are many terrorists who would like nothing better then to blow up a departing plane . I once had them confiscate a small desk top computer of mine. They could not scan it properly at the airport and thus took it and said it would be sent to my next destination within 48 hours . It actually arrived in 24 hours and although I bitched about it during those 24 hours, on reflection I can't blame them.

With that I will return to my Moderator duties and will try not to interfere in proper discussions by members.

If someone needs to further argue their points or question mine, send me a PM and I may or may not reply . Moderators Option :p

One would think the US would have that for at least its own citizens & those of Canada.   

IMG_4260.jpg?x28184

It does. It's called Global Entry. Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Members enter the United States through automatic kiosks at the following airports:

• Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH)*
  • Anchorage - Ted Stevens International Airport (ANC)
  • Aruba - Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)*
  • Austin - Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Burlington International Airport (BTV)*
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte-Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)*
  • Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
  • Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
  • Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)
  • Dublin Airport (DUB)*
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Fairbanks International Airport (FAI)
  • Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston (IAH)
  • Guam International Airport (GUM)
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
  • Honolulu International Airport (HNL)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)
  • John Wayne Airport (SNA)*
  • Lambert - St. Louis International Airport (STL)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas (LAS)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Milwaukee - General Mitchell International Airport (MKE)
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Nassau - Sir Lynden Pindling International Airport, Bahamas (NAS)*
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Oakland International Airport (OAK)*
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Orlando-Sanford International Airport (SFB)
  • Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport (YOW)
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)*
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)*
  • Saipan International Airport (SPN)*
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Antonio International Airport (SAT)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)*
  • San Juan-Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport (SJU)
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport-SeaTac (SEA)
  • Shannon Airport (SNN)*
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport (YWG)

Icon_Nexus.png

There is another program (administered by Canada) called Nexus for Canadian and US citizens. Nexus is joint service of Canada Border Services Agency and US Customs and Border Protection  designed for pre-approved, low-risk travelers. Members of the program can avoid long waits at border entry points by using reserved lanes at land crossings into Canada and the United States (including from Mexico), by using self-serve kiosks at airports in Canada, the US and some international locations, or by phoning border officials for a marine entry.

I'm surprised that Israel is such a police state!  And why would they be more rigorous on exit than on entry?  

nothing surprising considering hostile area they are in.

My experience is the same - entry was easy but full interrogation on departure, why you came, where you have been etc questions.

Mentioning that I visited Hebron in occupied territorries  warranted even more questions but at least all was very polite and habit of travelling lightly came vary handy, LOL