Jez1980

Soi Twilight closing....what?

When you are a very small souvereign state it is easy to become a wealthy country. Almost all very small states are wealthy (yes there are exceptions, like some remote Pacific Islands (Tuvalu, Tonga), but maybe the remoteness is key there and mismanagement). Hong Kong, Singapore, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Kuweit, Qatar, Bahrein, Brunei all rich. If a country like Russia or China was governed the exact same way as Singapore or Luxemburg, it would not become as rich (they would become wealthy, but not as rich as small countries). Smallness has advantages.

The richest states in Europe are the smallest ones (Luxemburg, Monaco, Liechtenstein). Each richer than Germany, France, my own country (the Netherlands) etc. There is only one reason: their smallness.

The discussion was that it could take a long time for Thailand to become as rich as Singapore, and various reasons were given. But one big reason for the success of Singapore was not mentioned: its smallness. 

If you have big country A and very small country B (city state level small) and they are both equally well governed then B will have it far more easy to become much richer.

What are you talking about? There are 82 countries (Wikipedia) that are smaller than Singapore (in terms of population) – and not all of them are wealthy (GDP per capita). 

What are you talking about? There are 82 countries (Wikipedia) that are smaller than Singapore (in terms of population) – and not all of them are wealthy (GDP per capita). 

With small I mean the land area obviously. You never noticed that most tiny (I mean really tiny) countries are very rich?

Why is it the smallest countries in Europe (the real small ones) are richer than Germany? 

I believe there is advantage in smallness.

Soi will declare  independence from Thailand and will shortly become rich city-state within another city  way Vatican is

And you won't need a passport nor a visa to get in but entry to only gay and bi guys

Guest abang1961

Your explanation ..

Well this is talking about the impending closure of Soi Twilight and never on the comparison between Singapore and Bangkok. .. please don't stir any unnecessary divertions.  Please don't drag unnecessary potential squabbles into the forum. We are all here for the well-being of gays and gay establishments.  It is pointless of you to have made the assumptions that it is easy to govern Singapore, just perhaps  your country is as corrupted as ....

Thank you for pointing out this truth to some myopic forum users...  Just look at many Pacific Islands..small population but lesser development due to dismayed town planning and government.  

I believe that if the premises in Soi Twilight will to be evicted, then knowing how enterprising Thais are, they will find a new location.  There are many golden eggs in the basket and no one, will ever jeopardise that contribution to the domestic economy.

Will the new buildings in the soi tolerate a bunch of gay bars on the opposite side of the soi?

A "gay" hotel along the entire length of the soi would be ok, but what if they build condos?

There may be a problem there.

The German owner of Dreamboys said he'd be closing down next year so the new construction must be happening on the Banana Bar side.

Most rooms that i have stayed in the Raya have overlooked soi twilight, they were also adding new rooms on my most recent visit, so i doubt they are to be demolished as part of this redevelopment

If that's the case then the new development site on the Dicks cafe side will be a pretty narrow and long stretch, can't see it being useful for any kind of development like a shopping center, condo or even a hotel without taking in the Alley and the Hotmale side of the street

I'm giving this old thread a bump for a few reasons. It was the first to discuss the possible closing of Soi Twilight in detail. Many members contributed opinions about the future of Twilight's venues and some of those prognostications have since come to fruition.

You'll find additional discussion of the topic in the following post:

16 hours ago, DrimVoiz said:

As mentioned in the other thread on Soi Twilight closing, the bars will be relocated to other area like Patpong so life goes on...

One bar (so far) is moving to Patpong 2 -- Dream Boys. It is on the othe side to Screw Boys and looks rathe small unless there is an upstairs.

Fresh Boys (Twilight) will open at Banana on 4 on the 4th of April. Also reportedly small.

The bars are all rented on a lease so they get no compensation. All they have is their 'fixtures and fittings'.

It would cost a fortune just to move to another location -- rent, deposit, key money and refurbishment.

As an edit: I've just seen another thread with details and pics of the new Dream Boys

Edited by Patanawet
later info

1 hour ago, Patanawet said:

One bar (so far) is moving to Patpong 2 -- Dream Boys. It is on the othe side to Screw Boys and looks rathe small unless there is an upstairs.

Fresh Boys (Twilight) will open at Banana on 4 on the 4th of April. Also reportedly small.

The bars are all rented on a lease so they get no compensation. All they have is their 'fixtures and fittings'.

It would cost a fortune just to move to another location -- rent, deposit, key money and refurbishment.

As an edit: I've just seen another thread with details and pics of the new Dream Boys

Actually I created that thread since Dream Boy is my fave bcoz my best off was from there, lol

The banner says Fresh Boys will move to Banana Boys Soi 4.

However, there is another  Fresh Boys above Screwboys, which was still open last month.    [I went in at about 10:05pm on the promise that the show started at 10:30, which would give me 25 minutes to find a boy & clear off.  However the ****ing ladyboys started just before 10:15....]

What is the story here ?  Does it have no connection to the original Fresh Boys ?    Sort of a "Fresh Fresh Boys".      Has the new premises closed ?    Or are they expanding the branch count, just like Starbucks ?