NIrishGuy

HIV Support Group(s) in Bangkok ?

A Thai friend has contacted me asking could I ask around to see if anyone knows of any HIV Support groups in the Bangkok area ?  

He's been diagnosed for several years now but is still alone with his HIV ( so he thinks).  I have pointed out that there are MANY people there in the same boat as himself but alas it seems the stigma in Thailand surround HIV is still rife and it's stopping him reaching out to "strangers" about his life.

I am aware of the Thai Red cross "Wednesday club" and have sent him details for that ( if it's still in existence) but said I would also ask here just in case anyone else knows of any support groups / clubs / group of social networks who share his condition that he might join with for some mutual support and friendliness ??  

I did point out of course that he'd be better asking Thai people about this but it seems it's a chicken and egg situation in that the few friends he has he doesn't / can't mention his HIV as he feels ( probably incorrectly) that it's very much of a don't ask /don't tell type situation and he's frightened that by bringing up the conversation he'll be immediately shunned by his existing "friends" ( and I use that word loosely) it seems who may fear losing face because of the whole "guilt by association" thing.

He's also struggling to find and keep a job as every time he does find work either after telling a co worker or the company medical taking place he's wheeled in to the bosses office and fairly much un-ceremonially "let go" for whatever made up reason - sometimes that just being "you have HIV you cannot work here, please go". :(

I made a kind of friend through romeo of a guy from Pattaya, we chatted and of course he asked me to help him, it wasn't a great deal, 10,000 baht and i thought he was nice and genuine so I sent him it anyway the conversations stopped only for him to come back and tell me has been diagnosed as hiv+, ok I know Thai guy tell many lies but the point of my post is that he assures me this is true, he uses hiv terminology when he chatted to me and I believe he is hiv+, for how long i don't know? but I met him on romeo and he's still on there, I told him he should not be doing this but he says even with hiv+ he can have sex life and has to make money for medicine, of course he's not the only guy on the app's in this position.

Only for him to come back and tell me has been diagnosed as hiv+ ....... I told him he should not be doing this but he says even with hiv+ he can have sex life .........and has to make money for medicine........ of course he's not the only guy on the app's in this position

A couple of points re the above -

A) he's right, just because he has HIV doesn't mean he should never have sex again - but RESPONSIBLE sex and therein is always the problem / worry, however that is exactly why we should treat EVERY sex partner we are with as if they are HIV positive of course to negate the risks as best as possible. 

and

B) As far as Im aware HIV "medicine" is now free in Thailand so I'd be wary of perhaps sending anymore funds if requested in that area.   But to be fair to the guy he may not for whatever reason have registered for the States free medicine scheme and is maybe trying to pay his own way in that regard and if so fair play to him  - but I doubt it and if he's not getting free treatment for life he certainly SHOULD be and you should perhaps mention that to him?

and

C) You're absolutely right about the "there's plenty of other guys doing that too" and in fact the friend that I mention is also one of them. So a timely reminder to us all if it be needed to "take care" when playing in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter perhaps.

He's also struggling to find and keep a job as every time he does find work either after telling a co worker or the company medical taking place he's wheeled in to the bosses office and fairly much un-ceremonially "let go" for whatever made up reason - sometimes that just being "you have HIV you cannot work here, please go". :(

Not sure what his qualifications are but I know one Thai who was raped by an uncle at age 14 and caught HIV as a result. He has been on medication ever since. He passed all his college and university exams but could not get the job he really wanted because of the requirement of a medical check up. But not all jobs require that. He is now a receptionist at a first-class hotel making good money. Unlike your friend though he never tells any of his co workers or even long-time friends. He has only revealed his status to a couple of others and to his partner. I am sure it must be difficult keeping it all secret. But given the stigma here I would suggest your friend keeps his status extremely confidential other than to a support group and a most trusted friend.

Thank you for that link GregVC, that's perfect for him and I've just forwarded that on to my friend.

And PeterRS - funnily my guy and yours seem to have shared a very similar past, only difference perhaps being my guy claiming (probably quite correctly) that when he was young and inexperienced it was a farang who got drunk and then fucked him without a condom without his knowledge ( or perhaps that he was just troo drunk to notice or care maybe).

Likewise he has also worked as a hotel receptionist and loved it until he was outed by someone he trusted there - which makes your advice re keeping his own business to himself very good advice indeed and I have suggested this to him and I'm guessing he IS a lot more cautious who he reveals his status now too.

I can only guess that as my friend "obviously" appears very gay that if was sick ( which I know he was for quite a while as he developed TB as well as a result of his HIV) I'm guessing his co workers and management were able to two and two together and work out what was going on with him and when asked he either hadn't the wit to lie or it was perhaps so obvious there was no point.

It's still sad that in this day and age with all we now know about HIV and that isn't / shouldn't be such a big thing at all anymore, that a lack of education on the subject in other Countries is still causing people with the virus there to suffer still on a daily basis - and not from anything medical but just more through peoples ignorance and predjudices, hopefully that's something will change in the future.

Silom PULSE Clinic should be able to give good advice and counselling as well (and of course medical services & treatment)

www.silompulse.com

It has opened only 2 or 3 years ago but has been hugely successful and is ever expanding. Recommended.