Guest topjohn5

If anyone needs advice on something in Phnom Penh....

Are Sharky, Heart of Darkness and Martinis still going?

I haven’t been to Phnom Penh since 2010 and at that time I used to love to go down to the Riverside Restaurants in the evenings.

One sickening aspect of dining in that area was that every evening you would see the dozens of charity workers or so calked NGO’s arriving in their posh land cruisers to the Foreign Correspondents Club and other bars and restaurants whilst the children and other vulnerable people they were supposedly helping were over the road on the Riverside barefoot and begging or maybe selling beer, soft drinks or cigarettes.

I hope things have changed for the better but I very much doubt it.

Just thinking back to several side trips I made to Phnom Penh from Thailand I can’t recall any specific gay bars.

My favourite in the late 1990’s up to my last visit in 2010 was Martinis I remember my first evening there I was sitting having a drink and the pushy mama came over and asked if I wanted a lady to join me. I told her I liked men not ladies and shortly after our conversation she appeared with two very handsome Cambodian guys.

Other bars at that time seemed to operate in a similar way and I never had a problem finding a companion for the evening and also no problems at the hotels and no joiner fees.

Are there any dedicated gay bars now?

or is it still just casual pickups or the modern trend of Dating Apps?