TMax

In the planning stage

Started looking at dates for my next sojourn to Bangkok, so far I have narrowed to 2 weeks somewhere between mid June to mid July, been there before around this time of year and like it then. Of course it will have to line up with room availability at the Raya hotel. Choice of flights on Thai air are a morning flight that arrives around 5pm with a bit of a queue at immigration and traffic into the hotel making the freeway look like a slow moving car park (my last 2 trips the traffic was horrendous). Or I can take an afternoon flight which gets in around 11pm (less traffic into hotel as well), now here I have a question for those that usually arrive around this time, what is the queue at Suvarnabhumi immigration like late night? Not that it matters too much but just like to put approximate arrival time on the hotel booking AND maybe catch a bit of fun (massage and afters) before sleep. Thanks in advance.

Many of my flights get in around 11pm. I usually figure from time plane pulls up to gate till I get to my condo, is about 1-1/2 hours.

Immigration, baggage claim, taxi and traffic are usually ok at that hour. Your only issue will be immigration, some nights 10 people and other nights 500 people. This you just can’t plan on. But I’ve been very lucky at that hour.

if I was you I would take the morning flight that arrives in at 5pm

Even if it take you an unlikely 3 hours to get to the Raya, you can still go and have a few hours out on the town

(Better still take the Airport rail link, you could be in your hotel room by 6.30)

If you arrive at 11pm, then the night is already over by the time you get to Silom... so you have effectively lost the first night of your holidays

I agree with  both paul and colmx, immigration is lottery, over years I arrived  in BKK at different times and did not notice much of pattern.

During hours when airport train operates I'd not even think about taking taxi if only to take an advantage of very good exchange rates in airport link station exchange booths.  But I tend to travel lightly so it's easy for me to say "take a train".

Thanks guys, something to consider.

Another problem with the morning flight that I didn't mention are the annoying screaming kids, I'm like a magnet to them and a friend that always takes the later flights says there are less than the morning flights.

Guest abang1961

Queue at the immigration

Thailand is almost my 2nd home now that I'd been  visiting the Kingdom so many times over but it still annoys me to queue incessantly at their immigration counters.   Since there is a special booth for visitors from Asean (10 countries within the South East Asia), I do expect that I am served at that special counter for us.  But many a times, that counter is unmanned!.   This problem is so prevalent.  Fortunately now there is a special privilege for Singaporeans, I can use the auto gates like the Thais.

Screaming kids vs riotous Chinese mainlanders...

When booking a flight, I do check the arrivals of flights from China.. the reason is obvious.. Despite their herd-mentality, they tend to spread out throughout the counters even though they should be lining in that "Special" counter for tour groups!

Humouring myself..

Planning in advance is NOT a priority for me as I tend to hop on planes as and when I'm available to take a break...

No point in aiming to arrive at 11pm as all bars now have to close at 2 am. And they do nowadays. Night virtually lost.

Do not arrive on a Friday afternoon/evening. Traffic always bad.

Do not pick a seat near the partitions on the aircraft. Families with kids are seated there as the sky cots hang on the partitions. Pick a seat as far away as possible.

Not so worried about bars, the other hassle for me on a morning flight I have to be awake at 3am and have a long drive to get to the city for the flight, I'm usually stuffed by the time I get to the hotel anyway.

Do not pick a seat near the partitions on the aircraft. Families with kids are seated there as the sky cots hang on the partitions. Pick a seat as far away as possible.

on the long flights I always pick an aisle seat in the middle section at end of aircraft , far from kids , close to the kitchen and washrooms and most important- since lot of people doesn't like those seats , chances that seat beside me will be free creating more elbow space are much higher in the back .

Disadvantages are being last to leave aircraft and last to be served meal , often with lesser selection  but really who cares about different tastes of Styrofoam anyways?

Not so worried about bars, the other hassle for me on a morning flight I have to be awake at 3am and have a long drive to get to the city for the flight, I'm usually stuffed by the time I get to the hotel anyway.

let airline to make decision for you and check which flight is cheaper , even marginally and take that one. If price is the same , there's always tossing a coin option.

I arrived late evening this past Thursday, it was so late evening that it was actually Friday morning when I got off the plane. I’m of an age that allows me to use the priority immigration line. A blessing as the two main immigration halls were packed with arriving tourists...many from China. The area near immigration for same dayVisa applications was a solid wall of people.

I took a taxi (350 thb) to the Tarntawan as The Raya was unavailable when I tried to book it. Interesting factoid: The Raya has a sign on the front door that says OUT OF ORDER.

By the time I got to the hotel all of the bars were closed, only a few people around, Burger King and KFC and Foodland were open. It was so late, almost no one was shown as active on Planet Romeo.

What I am saying: Take a flight that arrives in the day time and know that immigration will be hassle except when it isn’t .

Okay all booked now, decided to take the morning Thai airways flight and be damned with the traffic, also got the room booked at the Raya. Hopefully I should be at the hotel before 7pm and may just slip up soi Twilight for a massage and a shag.

Post by Kokopelli ----

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

I did arrive at BKK the other day. After the long walk/walkway you will pass the first Immigration Station, on your left, where most people head for; further along you will arrive at the Second Immigration Station, on your left. The Premium/Priority entrance is between these two on the left. It is easy to pass by especially if on the moving walkway which I was on. So had to exit the walkway and walk back a bit. For Seniors the age is 70 yo. Departing the aircraft (I was in Biz Class) I was given one of those "passes" for this Premium Lane and the Immigration agent did make a point of collecting it from me.  Perhaps if a flight arrives at the other end of the terminal the entrances to Immigration would be on the right.