BiggusDikkus

Airport-to-Bangkok ... Taxi or SkyTrain?

Sky train to BTS to Sala Daneg is about 75 THB and takes an hour. A taxi is minimum 350 THB and time is minimum 35 minutes - assuming traffic flows. On Wednesday with similar times I chose the sky twin option. I only had carryon. If you have luggage could be some issues transitioning at stations.

The security people make a token effort at looking in small bags, but when I rock up with my full luggage (all 15kg of it in a large rucksack), they wave me through.   So don't let that put you off.

Although I favour the public transport, it's only fair to warn you that if traveling with very heavy wheeled luggage, you may lose a little time looking for escalators & lifts at one or more of the public transport stations. 

Doesn't bother me, as even at my age, I can just about run up a flight of steps with the rucksack, although I wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

Vinapu is correct to point out the benefits of the excellent forex rates in the airport rail station.   A mere 0.4% loss from mid-market on my last transaction.  This is exceptional.

Guest abang1961

I did that when I was travelling home during the last trip.

Basically I took the Skytrain and do a switch at Phaya Thai.

The only hindrance was that (almost) 8 minutes walk from the Skytrain line to the Rail Line.

There is an alternative but I won't recommend that because the walk on that overhead bridge seems forever as I had luggage with me.

BTS-map.png

Don't forget the inconvenience on the train/skytrain/subway of having to open your luggage for inspection at every ticket gate.

Nobody has ever checked any of my bags - neither at the Skytrain station, nor on entering a building such as Siam Paragon.

They are all too busy on their phones!

Guest abang1961

make it 4 minutes and 15 seconds to be closer to truth, LOL

Haha..this potato queen must have sashayed through the many platforms and escalators in my heels..

No.. but I tend to walk a bit slower when I have a backpack on me...

What's in my backpack?

All my shopping from Platinum Shopping Mall, MBK and Big C....

Forget about taking a taxi within Bangkok ..

That traffic would cause a massive heart attack.. moving at snail pace...

If the vehicles are moving, fine ..if not,..

post-13467-0-64002400-1521346858_thumb.jpg

Could I ask this same question EXCEPT for a flight arriving from Hong Kong on a Sunday night at midnight?

I assume the SkyTrains stop at some point.  But even tho taxis seem the most efficient, are there any other options at that late hour after clearing customs?

Thanks

Guest abang1961

are there any other options at that late hour after clearing customs?

Try uber...for more efficient and swift ride into town

How much luggage are you traveling with?

I always have a small carry-on that I wear like a back pack and a suitcase that always gets weighed in at just under 20 kg no matter how much I pack into it. I've never had trouble lugging it up and down stairs, and it has four wheels so sliding it along most streets and sidewalks is no problem, though I think crowded Silom might prove to be an exception.

Am I reading this right ... there's now a pedestrian walkway from Makasan to the nearest subway station?

There is a fairly longish covered elevated walkway that gets about 95% of the way to the MRT station (Petchaburi).  After you go down the escalators to street level there may be a very small uncovered bit before you get to the MRT entrance.

Personally, if you are going to Sala Daeng BTS/MRT I think this is a bit faster than going to Phayathai, transferring to BTS, then changing lines at Siam, but to each his own.  Here, as in so many areas, there is no right or wrong answer.  

I believe its also a bit cheaper to go out at makasan to petchaburi station to go to silom. The walk is fine, especially at night, can be a nuisance if its on the afternoon with the heat and humidity though. But its temporary as once u are inside the train, itll be cool again. Definitely great if u stay at dusit thani silom mrt is exactly in front of dusit thani

Given the costs of flight, hotel, spending money and everything else, I only ever transfer by car. Door to door with someone meeting me at the airport, the cost is minute against everything else I spend. I always have a suitcase and I can’t imagine dealing with trains, escalators and platforms. I would use Uber over a regular taxi though, if going that route.