BiggusDikkus

Airport-to-Bangkok ... Taxi or SkyTrain?

I travel light so I opt for airport link to MRT if it's operating. But if I had more than one roller bag, I take a taxi. Some things I keep in mind:

My preferred arrival times are mid-morning and there after. If you take the airport train in bound during the morning rush hours, you'll be extremely cramped and unlikely top get a seat. Likewise, getting a cab at that time would be a nightmare so I'd rather kill a few hours at the airport. In most cases, it's too early to check in to hotels, anyway.

If I arrive during the evening rush (as I did during last trip), the crowd will be going against the rush-hour grain and ride was OK.

If I have an early evening departure, I try to leave by about 3 p.m. to beat the evening rush.

Just a follow up word of warning on the reverse trip.  Because the ARL is also used by commuters, there can be a long wait to get on the train heading out to the airport from Phayathai station during the evening rush hour, so leave quite a bit more time than the usual 45-60 minutes for the trip out to BKK.  (Photo of the Friday evening rush courtesy of the "Airport Rail Link My Love" ("ARLที่รัก") facebook page.)  

post-14237-0-85398500-1521859514_thumb.jpg