reader

Thailand's first Mormon temple

Excerpts from Deseret News

Church-Releases-Artist-Rendering-for-Ban

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released an artistic rendering of the Bangkok Thailand Temple on Monday. The rendering depicts a six-story, 44,405-square-foot design featuring several spires, according to Mormon Newsroom. 

The temple will be located on Petchaburi Road in the center of a business and residential area of Bangkok on property the church has owned for a decade. An existing office building there houses the Thailand Bangkok Mission as well as the church’s welfare offices for the country. The property is located near the Makkasen Station of the Airport Rail Link line that runs from the Suvarnabhumi Airport through Bangkok. The property will also be served by a substantially sized underground parking facility.

Announced in April 2015 by President Thomas S. Monson, the temple will be the first in Thailand. Church members in the area currently travel over 1,000 miles to the temple in Hong Kong.

It is one of 23 temples that have been announced or are currently under construction. After 3 to 4 years of expected construction, the Bangkok Thailand Temple will join the 159 operating temples worldwide.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900013381/lds-church-releases-artistic-rendering-of-the-bangkok-thailand-temple.html

as long as they don't plan to built temple on grounds where soi Twilight is now, I'd say go ahead

I don't know.  In the USA the Mormons are one of the major homophobic organizations gays have to deal with.  Benign--not in my experience.  I wrote one of my political science papers on the popular, and very capable President of Chili--Salvador Allende.  The Mormon church played a big role in encouraging Nixon to overthrow this popular President from the only country in South America with a long record of stable democracy.  Why?  Not for politics, but for money as they own most of the copper in the world and Allende was going to nationalize their interest in the Northern Chilian copper mines.  You can count on the fact that the stronger this Mormon church grows the less tolerant the Thais will become of gays.

..... President of Chili--Salvador Allende.  The Mormon church played a big role in encouraging Nixon to overthrow this popular President from the only country in South America with a long record of stable democracy. 

USA helping to overthrow  elected president in democratic country ? It can't be truth LOL

By the way Pinochet staged his US inspired  coup against Allende on Sept 11, 1973 so 9/11 has completely different meaning for Chileans that for Americans.

As for Mormons in Thailand, I have doubts  such an American import will  have much an impact on Thai society but can't be wrong of course

From an architectural point of view, I'm looking forward for that temple being completed.

Just go to Moscow. It is eerily similar to the six architecturally similar piles erected by Stalin.

it simply grates the hell out of me when church groups from the west go seeking to instruct the "natives" anywhere that their fairy tale is the one and only true one. To me, it smacks of cultural colonialism and why nations allow it ("it" not referring to the right to practice any religion you want but referring to allowing foreign missionary groups to actively proselytize in their country) is beyond me.

Can not agree more. Missionaries encouraged by their western governments were amongst the first to follow the battleships during their centuries of global cultural imperialism. In Asia these so called men of God actively encouraged the opium trade. Damn them all!

Religion is where the money is.

The missionaries will start with the token investment.

Once the village head is converted, the church will have a sway over the new believers. Thereafter donations and pledges will quickly find the way to the coffers of the new institution.