DivineMadman

VCK Cool Space Massage - New Name, Same Disappointing Experience

I just checked their website and that's right , tips suggested are on very high side, 2500 for 2 hr massage sounds very high which itself may be justified if service provided is outstanding in upscale environment. When one adds cost of massage  whole thing costs almost as much as lavish long time tip for  best looking bar boys.

So perhaps we should heed your advice and seek greener pastures closer to main areas and well rehearsed shops. But at end of day it all depends on the boy , not the place. One of best massages ever I had in the Sun massage beside Tawan , and I mean massage. Place itself looks pretty downscale but I rather have fabulous experience  on the Styrofoam mat than crappy one in the VIP room with all trimmings.

Thanks for the warning.   

I have been to Chakran Sauna twice last year and found the facilities ok, but overpriced and the type of boy not what I'm looking for. During those visits I had a look at the massage boys (who spend their spare time in the sauna area), and they looked ok to me, I would have taken the one or other for free.

Your whole report shows: it all depends on the boy. That's why I go to low or mid market place, chances to find someone good there are the same as in high-so places (judging by reports, I have not been to high-so places). Attitude and overpricing are a total turn-off for me, a friend once reported the manager of Prince pointed out a boy "he has big cock, minimum tip 1500 fro 60 min massage" which put an end to my vague plan to visit Prince.

But the interesting thing is there seems to be a market for high-price places with management problems (A booked boy does not show up for work? Outrageous!) and poor skills. Is it just to be seen or being able to talk about high-so places, or do some people get off by throwing money around?

And with minimum tip stated, there is no way out. When no minimum tip is stated, I sometimes leave it at massage and no happy ending. Like the one in Pattaya who did massage fully dressed, and towards the end, out of reach of my hands, asked me if I want a hand job. No thanks! I can do that alone. He got 300 THB tip for the massage.

All but one of my massages are 60 minutes oil. One boy I took several times for 60 minutes oil over the year because he was so good at massage and happy ending (But not so much my type, why can't I have everything in one?), when I took him for 90 minutes it was just average.

..... do some people get off by throwing money around?

most likely yes, the same way some people get off by haggling over 20 baht mango on the market.

It why some stay in 5 stars hotels when 3 stars  would do and flying business class when economy brings them home in exactly the same time , others are racing to Foodland   to be there before 9 a.m. to save 17 baht on their breakfast special ( that would be me ) and staying in windowless room at Nantra when literally few dollars more buys more spacious room with big window. ( that definitely will not be me ).

There's only so much logic in ways we human race are handling our money. 

Guest abang1961

Being prudent with your money is noble... However I do throw caution to the wind when I travel. Instead of having Chicken Rice all the time, I may treat myself to High Tea and costlier meals every now and then.

I don't spend my money on boys so the savings made is quite significant.

I wonder when the distinction between High Tea and Afternoon Tea got lost. I believe High Tea is more of a Scottish term. It refers back to a meal taken immediately after a worker got home in the early evening and involves a cooked dish plus strong tea, bread and perhaps a cake or two.

I believe abang is referring to the traditional Afternoon Tea which was much more the preserve of the upper classes and served in the middle of the afternoon. It is this which is served in many of the better hotels. This consists of lighter fare with fresh tea, freshly made scones (always with clotted cream and most often with fresh strawberry or rosehip jam), a variety of finger sandwiches which will always include one with thinly sliced cucumber, and a variety of small savouries and cakes. If waistline and cholesterol levels are of no great importance, it can be a very satisfying experience!

Back on topic, V Club 7 mentioned by the OP was originally the legendary V Club situated in its own premises on Soi Aree. Here it had a large number of masseurs, a few who featured in the gay photo magazines you could commonly pick up on Silom. Some others were strikingly handsome models in more upmarket magazines. I rarely had any dud massages in V Club. If you told the mamasan what you wished for afters, hed point out the ones you should select.

Quite a few years later Chakran was opened by the same owners as V Club. In its early years it was very welcoming of farang although I never saw many around. Then as rents started to spiral on Aree, I suppose it was natural that the two were merged. This was a shame as I believe both suffered and the model boys gradually drifted off.

Guest abang1961

The term High Tea is used commonly in Asia for us, the ladies that lunch..It is not uncommon to see posher places use this term in their promotions...

We don't have Afternoon tea ..That sounds more like a sneak in the office pantry...

I have occasionally heard Afternoon Tea referred to as High Tea. Maybe its a class thing! Perhaps dear abang you should start visiting some of the better class of hotel and restaurant around Asia. None appears to use the term High Tea! Maybe its a Singapore thing - but not totally so

Be it a fancy three-tier stand of desserts, or an all-you-can-eat afternoon tea buffet, there are endless options when it comes to an afternoon tea in Singapore.

http://www.ladyironchef.com/2016/01/singapore-afternoon-tea/

Abang is right.

After quick google search, it seems they use the term “High Tea” to describe Afternoon Tea at high end hotels in Bangkok.

Shangri-La offers Mary Antoinette High Tea! LOL

I can just imagine Abang enjoying tea in a Mary Antoinette style.

I wasn’t familiar with the term “High Tea” but hey we lean new things everyday, right?

Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok

Marie Antoinette High Tea

Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok, offers “Marie Antoinette”, an afternoon tea inspired by the flamboyant French era in the late 18th century at Lobby Lounge. The afternoon tea set is priced at THB 1,198++ for a maximum of 2 persons. Available daily, from 2pm to 6pm, until 30 April 2018.

http://www.shangri-la.com/mobile/bangkok/shangrila/offers/details/hotel/dining/marie-antoinette-high-tea/

Intercontinental also offer afternoon High Tea.

http://bangkok.intercontinental.com/download/Afternoon-Tea-Set-Menu.pdf

Afternoon Tea in Bangkok Where to Find High Tea in Bangkok

Read more at: http://www.bangkok.com/restaurant-dining-experiences/afternoon-delight.htm?cid=ch:OTH:001

Obviously there is indeed confusion even amongst travel writers. Although the title of the last article Jasper posts starts off Afternoon Tea in Bangkok, the sub heading mentions High Tea. Yet the article is mostly about Afternoon Tea!

Many posh hotels offer proper English afternoon tea complete with traditional English scones, clotted cream, sandwiches, pastries and other goodies. Riverside hotels are probably the best place to have afternoon tea, as you can sip your tea and take in a slice of Thai life by the Chao Praya River at the same time

But in describing the Shangri La offering, it does appear this is more of a traditional High Tea because the article adds 

This includes several hot dishes

You will never find hot dishes served with Afternoon Tea.

Obviously the hotel and restaurant management association needs to be educated on the differences between the two. I suspect quite a few English/western tourists will not consider going for High Tea if what they want is a traditional Afternoon Tea. 

Since Afternoon Tea is so traditional, I also wonder when the confusion with High Tea arose?

Ive only heard of high tea being used in malaysia for an upscale british/western style tea with a buffet of pastries. Afternoon tea is just normal tea in the afternoon instead of morning, with 1-2 type of local delicacies (can be sweet or savory snacks).

Guest abang1961

Perhaps we shall have a High Tea gathering at the Oriental so Peter can correctly point out their mistakes...So LOL..Peter, the ball is in your court...So organise one session and all of us can be stiff upper lips for an afternoon..

Perhaps we shall have a High Tea gathering at the Oriental so Peter can correctly point out their mistakes

I doubt it any of us could actually afford their prices! For info the Mandarin Oriental does not actually serve a High Tea! As you can see from the website, it serves traditional Afternoon Tea!! Bad example hehe

https://www.mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/chao-phraya-river/fine-dining/tea-rooms/authors-lounge

Guest abang1961

The Thais will say..mai pen rai...So when are we going for that TEA party? Surely you can afford it by not engaging boys for a night..

I shall be in bangkok from 3 to 7 Apr..So if Peter can get a group of 4,. We can sashayed over..

I could get a group together but at 1,696.50 baht plus tips and transport for a few nibbles and a cup of tea, none of us is all that keen, even if wed love to meet you. Now if you are paying, just tell us the day and time!

Guest abang1961

Well I don't mind paying but I would like to see the expression on the wait staff when an Asian foots the bill while in the company of farangs.

Contact me in pm if you are in Bangkok and you are interested to join in the event..