Sign in to follow this  
reader

Taking to the river

As far as I remember, the Singapore River back before 1984 was as dirty and smelly as any water channels in Thailand.

What the then-Prime Minister, Mr. Lee Kuan Yew decided this has to come to an end.

He moved the bumboats to the western part of Singapore and purify the water altogether.

Even with Singapore's well-known efficiency, the entire project to clean the Singapore River took 10 years.

Hence despite all my trips to Thailand, I avoid any floating market knowing too well that the stench is too much to stomach.

They can clean up the river first and then bring back the boats and market and the tourists.

No one with the RIGHT mind will do a second visit after that initial shock.

Look at the colour of the water - perhaps if we can find fishes swimming in them.....

best-floating-market.jpg.jpg

As far as I remember, the Singapore River back before 1984 was as dirty and smelly as any water channels in Thailand.

What the then-Prime Minister, Mr. Lee Kuan Yew decided this has to come to an end.

He moved the bumboats to the western part of Singapore and purify the water altogether.

Even with Singapore's well-known efficiency, the entire project to clean the Singapore River took 10 years.

best-floating-market.jpg.jpg

And Mussolini got the trains to run on time....