spoon

Travelling to bangkok with non-gay friends.

Ill be travelling to bkk soon, have yet to book my ticket but ill be travelling with straight friends who arent into the sex trade in bkk, but more into shopping/food hunt, and their flight will be on 10th may to 14th. Not my first time travelling with straight frienda but i usually didnt do much gay stuff when they are around lol. I was thinking i should arrived 1 day earlier so ill have a night to myself, and maybe fly back a day later as well. Ill have saturday night to myself as well if i didnt follow them to udon thani for their friends' wedding who i didnt know but a thai wedding is something ive never experience myselft too lol. So, if i am lucky, ill have at least 3 night to explore the bars and boys, and 3 night without the bars but i can probably still call boys to my room lol. Cant wait to be back to bangkok again. How is the weather in may btw? We want to go to the floating market, but itll be on the weekend right? Does that include friday night? Ill have more question later though but i just hope during the normal non-gay day, i wont be seeing any familar faces around.

Good luck and still have pleasure!

There are some 20-30 floating markets (or there are listed that nr-not all will be in operation) around BKk (no, NONE really in BKK-inner city) and except -12 really overflown with Chinese touristy, all are weekends only and 90% are MORnings only. Only 1-quite far away, is meant for late afternoon/early eve and needing an overnight there (Amphawa, in fact quite close by to the best known touristy one at Damnoen). There is not really that much to see-except that the usual overpriced stuff is sold from boats (or often not even that-then its waterside) and not from the usual stalls.

There is (was?) a site like ''bangkok daytrips'' that listed and described a few mostly aiming local Thai. It however lacks info on public transpo. You can of course always try to rent a car/taxi to get there, for me the cost of that would not be worthwhile.

Or for the usual touristy stuff go to TA=tripadvisor or the like, it has all and any possible question (and millions of the most unlikely overworried ones) have already been posted.

May has about the worst of wheather-mostly like MY too- too hot, very, very steamy humid, just before the rains start to fall-and these thus come as a refreshing downpour.

lol. Still think you should go earlier/return later. The chances are you are to be seen by others you know back home some day (if not already!) as Malaysia is so close and convenient. Perhaps they do not really care.

I was (and still am) in a similar situation and never bumped into anyone I know that makes difference (not that I am aware of anyway). I suppose people around me probably figure it out already by now (but I am not giving them the confirmation).Now I am used to it.

Yup i booked a day earlier and went back a day later as mentioned in original post lol. My trip will be mostly food and tourist area, been wanting to check out khaosan backpackers road and china town as well as the grand palace, not sure if its still close to the public or not. Is the royal cremation place still open? Havent been to jim thompson house either. Chatuchak and one floating market is on the list too, just need to know if i can go on friday or only saturday/sunday morning only

Floating markets.  I'm also not a huge fan, but everyone should go at least once, I suppose.  Because I don't want to be responsible for making any specific recommendations on such an iffy outing, here's a link to the excellent Travelfish guide to nearby floating markets.  The people behind Travelfish - to the extent I've had any exposure to them - do seem to be generally nice and very thoughtful people and they do try to avoid just the usual PR.   For your planning purposes, the nearby floating markets just seem to be Saturdays and Sundays in the morning.

Sanam Luang.  Cremation grounds closed and being deconstructed and Sanam Luang restored.  Grand Palace back to normal.  Enjoy the crowds!  I'm not sure there's a foolproof strategy to avoid the crowds.  Some people recommend going at lunch time, because the numerous tour groups are all at lunch.  That might be insanely hot the with sun directly overhead pictures tend to be washed out.  Personally, I try to time it closer to the end of the day, with the hope most of the tour groups for that day will have finished their visit and I can get some afternoon light.

Chatuchak.  In addition to the Saturday/Sunday times, Chatuchak is open in the evening on Fridays.  Another option.  But that does deprive you of the weekend day market experience.  Again everyone has his own strategy for dealing with Chatuchak.  I usually go later in the day, so the sun starts to get blocked by the big hulking still-unfinished building behind the market, and then leisurely go from there to nearby JJ Green, which has different stuff and nice music, good food and a fun crowd.  Increasingly there are shops with A/C in the belly of the beast that is Chatuchak, so I try to find these and cool off for a minute here or there.  The usual advice, however, is get there early.  If you want to go crazy there is a Chatuchak Guide app available.

Night Markets.  You've probably already been, but near as I can tell, everybody still loves the Ratchada Night Market (Rot Fai) behind the Esplinade Ratchadaphisek.  (TCC MRT stop).  It's a lot of fun, lot's of good food.  There's even a gay bar.  Unbearably loud.  You might not mind the taxi ride out to the "real" Rot Fai Train Night Market at Srinakarin.  It's certainly also fun.  For "fashion" I gather the newish Neon Night Market is the place to go.  

Grand Palace back to normal.  Enjoy the crowds!  I'm not sure there's a foolproof strategy to avoid the crowds.  

on two separate occasions I found that best way to beat crowds is to be there right at 8.30 when they open and make Emerald Buddha temple first stop leaving other Palace  attractions for after that. I even managed to have   temple to myself for few minutes.  

Btw, ill be arriving in bkk at night around 10pm or so and thinking to head to the bars, i guess my only chance for a show would be screwboys? But its on a Wednesday night, so the 1am show might not happen right? Any other options? Is new screwboys is the same screwboys everyone here is talking about?

If your friends are remotely interested in Thai culture and artefacts, take them one morning or afternoon to the Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall for the stunning exhibition Arts of the Kingdom. I have taken a few friends there over the years since it was first on display and each has loved it.

http://www.artsofthekingdom.com/en/index.php?page=product_main

Afterwards you can take a leisurely walk to Wat Benchamabophit, the Marble Temple. I know it is yet another temple but its perfect symmetry makes it special. Take a taxi to the Throne Hall if its not the rush hour. After the temple you can then walk to the river to get a river boat back if you wish.

Grand Palace. Youll know that the best way is again to go by river boat, probably from Saphan Thaksin. Getting a taxi through Chinatown can take a huge amount of time and is just not worth it. Besides the river trip is fun. Nearby there is a good S&P restaurant to have lunch at a reasonable price. When you get to the entrance to the grounds beware of the tuk tuk touts. They will confidently tell you they are closed for lunch or some ceremony or other. But not to worry, instead of queuing they will give you an hours tour to fill the time at a very cheap price. It is a total scam! Note also there is a dress code. Check the internet or with your hotel concierge.

Warning about Chatuchak. In May it will be fiendishly hot as little air gets circulated. There are fans around but you will be dripping with sweat.

A lot of people poo-poo the Jim Thomson House and Museum. It may not be totally authentic but visitors always seem to love it. I have invariably found the food at the restaurant there good and there is the big shop on the grounds for checking out their products. Easy to get there by walking a short distance from the National Stadium Skytrain stop.

If your friends are remotely interested in Thai culture and artefacts, take them one morning or afternoon to the Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall for the stunning exhibition Arts of the Kingdom. I have taken a few friends there over the years since it was first on display and each has loved it.

http://www.artsofthekingdom.com/en/index.php?page=product_main

Afterwards you can take a leisurely walk to Wat Benchamabophit, the Marble Temple. I know it is yet another temple but its perfect symmetry makes it special. Take a taxi to the Throne Hall if its not the rush hour. After the temple you can then walk to the river to get a river boat back if you wish.

Grand Palace. Youll know that the best way is again to go by river boat, probably from Saphan Thaksin. Getting a taxi through Chinatown can take a huge amount of time and is just not worth it. Besides the river trip is fun. Nearby there is a good S&P restaurant to have lunch at a reasonable price. When you get to the entrance to the grounds beware of the tuk tuk touts. They will confidently tell you they are closed for lunch or some ceremony or other. But not to worry, instead of queuing they will give you an hours tour to fill the time at a very cheap price. It is a total scam! Note also there is a dress code. Check the internet or with your hotel concierge.

Warning about Chatuchak. In May it will be fiendishly hot as little air gets circulated. There are fans around but you will be dripping with sweat.

A lot of people poo-poo the Jim Thomson House and Museum. It may not be totally authentic but visitors always seem to love it. I have invariably found the food at the restaurant there good and there is the big shop on the grounds for checking out their products. Easy to get there by walking a short distance from the National Stadium Skytrain stop.

I think the throne hall might be closed for renovations.  But as in so many things, I could be wrong.  

after visiting Jim Thompson house take  a khlong / canal/ tourist boat to Khao San area if you really want to go there swith stop to visit Golden Mount Temple . Another water fun trip. 

Throne Hall an Vinamek palace admission may be included in the Grand Palace ticket , at least it was when I was there last time 2 years ago.

I think the throne hall might be closed for renovations.  But as in so many things, I could be wrong.  

Are you sure you are thinking of the Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall? Its the old Italian style parliament building, not the Throne Hall in the Grand Palace where the late Kings body lay in state. According to its website it is definitely open.

Are you sure you are thinking of the Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall? Its the old Italian style parliament building, not the Throne Hall in the Grand Palace where the late Kings body lay in state. According to its website it is definitely open.

I recall reading about the closure when it happened.  I think the website is at best inconsistent.  On the same page it lists the regular hours - open :) -- but there is a specific announcement about it being closed :( .  I fear the specific announcement about closure is the more current information.  

post-14237-0-97333600-1523982738_thumb.png

post-14237-0-79810300-1523983421_thumb.png

For what it's worth - which may not be be much of anything - I'm not the only one who thinks it's closed.  Timeout.  TripAdvisor.

If the intrepid Spoon will go and check it out and confirm one way or another that would of course be a great service to us all.  But he and his pals should at least be advised that there's a real possibility about the closure on the website.  Possibly a bit of sloppy website maintenance.  

You are correct. The information is confusing. The closure on August 11 and 12 were specific days for the Queens Birthday holiday. As I write it also states "closed". This is because, like many restaurants now, it is not open at this moment. It adds that today it "Opens 10:00 AM". Whether that is true or the Hall is actually closed and no one has bother to update the website, I do not know. If anyone is interested, it is probably best to call the number listed on the site for information 02 283 9411. Hopefully that actually works!

Thanks again all for the details on the throne hall. I will go to the grand palace anyway, so ill inform here if its closed or not during my visit, in 3 weeks from now. Hotel havent been book yet still. If its up to me, itll be in silom for sure haha

Ill be travelling to bkk soon, have yet to book my ticket but ill be travelling with straight friends who arent into the sex trade in bkk, but more into shopping/food hunt, and their flight will be on 10th may to 14th. Not my first time travelling with straight frienda but i usually didnt do much gay stuff when they are around lol. I was thinking i should arrived 1 day earlier so ill have a night to myself, and maybe fly back a day later as well. Ill have saturday night to myself as well if i didnt follow them to udon thani for their friends' wedding who i didnt know but a thai wedding is something ive never experience myselft too lol. So, if i am lucky, ill have at least 3 night to explore the bars and boys, and 3 night without the bars but i can probably still call boys to my room lol. Cant wait to be back to bangkok again. How is the weather in may btw? We want to go to the floating market, but itll be on the weekend right? Does that include friday night? Ill have more question later though but i just hope during the normal non-gay day, i wont be seeing any familar faces around.

Spoon, if you want a floating market nearer to Bangkok, try Taling Chan floating market. Based on experience, Jim Thompson house is okay...and don't forget the Grand Palace, Wat Pho & Wat Traimit, your friends will definitely like this places. If you're going to Chatuchak weekend market, don't miss the FREE muay thai fights near it, though ONLY availabe on Sunday afternoon onwards. As a day b4, try to have a massage on the afternoon & go go bars in the evening. Enjoy ur trip!!!

Btw, ill be arriving in bkk at night around 10pm or so and thinking to head to the bars, i guess my only chance for a show would be screwboys? But its on a Wednesday night, so the 1am show might not happen right? Any other options? Is new screwboys is the same screwboys everyone here is talking about?

Nowadays I am not really uptodate with Soi Twilight activities; but thought X-size had a show at midnight (hotmale as well)? You might be able to catch the show if your flight arrives on time. Never quite liked the show at Screwboys - but that's just me.

Most have shows at midnight. But you have to be careful now that it’s low season. If not enough customers, there will be no show.

Your probably safe on Friday and Saturdays having shows, but rest of week is now hit or miss.