reader

No relief from BTS overcrowding

From Bloomberg News

1000x-1.jpg

The operator of Bangkok’s elevated metro system anticipates a tripling in profit over five years as the network expands and commuters flee traffic jams.

BTS Group Holdings Pcl predicts about 6 billion baht ($192 million) of net income in 2022, up from 2 billion baht last year, Chief Executive Officer Kavin Kanjanapas said. Roughly two-thirds will come from the mass-transit business as new track takes daily ridership to some 2.5 million passengers from 700,000 currently, he said.

While the so-called SkyTrain’s route length across Bangkok will climb to 49 kilometers by March next year from about 38 kilometers presently, one major challenge is overcrowding, especially in peak hours, with commuters jammed into carriages and sometimes unable to find room to board trains.

"Crowding is to be expected during peak hours, just as in other big cities like Singapore and Hong Kong," Kavin said. "After peak hours, our train capacity can handle the number of passengers. We’re confident the existing numbers of trains are sufficient to meet demand."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-19/bangkok-s-crammed-elevated-metro-sees-expansion-tripling-profits

Chief Executive Officer Kavin Kanjanapas said ... "After peak hours, our train capacity can handle the number of passengers. We’re confident the existing numbers of trains are sufficient to meet demand."

Rubbish! As lines have been extended the number of passenger cars has all but remained the same. I sometimes see trains with one extra car but not many of them. This idiot clearly has not travelled on a non rush hour Skytrain. I have frequently found myself having to squeeze into a car that looks and feels like a rush hour train. The BTS determination not to pay for additional cars is one major reason for its whopping profits.

Guest abang1961

"Crowding is to be expected during peak hours, just as in other big cities like Singapore and Hong Kong," Kavin said. "After peak hours, our train capacity can handle the number of passengers. We’re confident the existing numbers of trains are sufficient to meet demand."

Don't read this post to think I'm boasting.

I am merely stating facts.

Yes over-crowded trains are a norm during peak hours anywhere in the world.  

In Singapore, peak hours start from 0800 to 0930 and 1700 to 1900 hours on most weekdays.

However unlike Bangkok, there are many station interchanges in Singapore to divert the crowd.

Yes, more lines are added every 6 years and soon, the MRT network is more complex than the wrinkles on my face.

Furthermore MRT in Singapore is a norm for anyone - locals and tourists alike.  

Fares are currently kept to a minimum, starting from SGD 0.77 (about USD 0.50) and a trip from the airport to downtown should not be more than SGD 1.90 (USD 1.40).   Barring train breakdown, it is the most convenient mode of transport to reach most tourist attractions and housing estates.  As a matter of fact, the town planning puts transportation system before anything else.

One more thing about MRT system in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand...

Singapore started it in 1987, Thailand started it sometime in 2000s and Kuala Lumpur in 2017.

You would have expected the other two to learn from our mistakes - having to install lifts and handicap ramp as an after-thought in Singapore.

No, the other two have just one set of escalators in major stations like Silom.  

And climbing steps is definitely a No-No for soon-to-be seniors like me.

Actually I don't think it is possible to install more escalators in Bangkok or KL due to space constraints there.

In fact, MRT is considered a premium over buses in these places whereas in Singapore, buses compliments the MRT.

Most of my friends in KL do not use public transport because they drive and the stops are not near where they reside.

Just for your amusement, the rail map in Singapore.

https://www.transitlink.com.sg/images/eguide/mrt_sys_map.htm

From Khaosod English

S__30900231-696x522.jpg

BANGKOK — The BTS system may soon get slightly less crowded as dozens of new trains with more capacity set to enter service later this year.

BTS Skytrain executives on Monday officially unveiled the first of 46 new trains in Chonburi province, purchased for 11 billion baht to support the Sukhumvit line and its extension to Samut Prakan province, which will open in December. The train, comprising four carriages, was delivered Sunday.

Company representatives said the new trains’ carriages, bought from German and Chinese companies, have a 10 percent greater capacity than current ones. All new trains will be delivered by late 2019.

The popular city rail network currently serves about 900,000 daily commuters. Surapong Laoha-Unya, the company’s director, said in 2017 that 52 trains were in service along both lines. Its official website says each train accommodates up to 1,490 passengers.

The operator faces mounting pressure to improve its services after it malfunctioned repeatedly in recent months, suffering signalling system disruptions, defective doors and water leakages inside carriages. It broke down as many as 20 times in June alone.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2018/08/06/new-bts-trains-coming-to-extended-route/

this is welcomed news but it does nothing to solve what  I see as biggest problem of BTS system - peak hours crowding interchange Siam station, sometimes is outright scary  and no, I'm not claustrophobic

The biggest culprit is the single track bottleneck at Saphan Taskin. One fix would be to increase the number of cars in a train that I believe existing platforms can accommodate.

The biggest culprit is the single track bottleneck at Saphan Taskin. One fix would be to increase the number of cars in a train that I believe existing platforms can accommodate.

I believe that expanding Saphan Taksin to a double track is being planned.  (When I don't know.)  

Personally, I think the worst place is Chong Nonsi any time in the evening rush hour.  There is almost always a very long line before you even get to the turnstiles.  Makes me feel sorry for all those office workers.  The new station between Surasak and Chong Nonsi might help split that horrendous line into two somewhat smaller lines, but of course won't do anything to alleviate the overcrowding of the cars themselves.  

Still, it's better than taking a taxi....